Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Shotgun Reloaders >

Shotgun Reloaders

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Shotgun Reloaders

Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 PM

Default Shotgun Reloaders

hello, i am thinking about gettting into shotgun reloading but i have a few questiosn first. can u reload slugs and also wat is the largest shot size u can reload. last questionis doesshotgun reloadingsave u money?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun Reloaders

It depends on the amount of shooting you do!, customized reloads run about half the price of what you buy at the store!. You can load size #BB to #9 with the press, buckshot is loaded the same as bird shot until you put in the pelletsyou will need to place your pellets in the hull by hand then finish your crimp with the press, slugs you will need some extra tools to make the roll crimp to hold the slug in place.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Spike

All the advice Devil Dog gave you is right. Some slugs though can be loaded with a fold crimp,but I have never found a really good selection of slugs available to the hand loader. IMO reloading should be about the quality of ammo you can produce not nessarily how cheaply you can make it. Just mt 2cents worth.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Spike

I agree with Redlines statement that quality of the load should be the main concern. However saving money never hurts. Accually I don't save any money by loading my own, I just get to shoot more. I load all my own slugs for my rifled shotgun. Paying $2.50 to $3.00 a pop for sabot slugs is just too much for me. I can load them for 1/2 that and I have more confidence in my loads than those that you can buy over the counter. As for shotshells the cost of supplies has gone up so much that it hardly pays to load your own except for the 28 ga and 410. If I did not already own loaders for all gauges I certainly would not get into loading shotshells now. For loading my sabot loads I do not use a machine. Just my powder scale and a roll crimper. I buy the hulls already primed.