Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Cost effectiveness of reloading???? >

Cost effectiveness of reloading????

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cost effectiveness of reloading????

Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cost effectiveness of reloading????

I know this has been discussed before, but for you guys that have lots of reloading experience I have a question. Since the price of ammohas increased so much in the last year or so I was wondering if reloading is now a lot cheaper, or has the price of powder, bullets, and primers increased along with factory ammo to offset this possible advantage. I haven't reloaded in probably 20 years, but I'm fixing to start back, me, my brother-in-law, and 2 other friends have gone in together and ordered the stuff, it should be here sometime next week.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cost effectiveness of reloading????

I have only been reloading for about a year now. but I know that for myself, reloading isnt exactly cheaper since I shoot a lot more now. But it is probably cheaper by the bullet depending on what you are shooting. You are going about it the right way though, sharing the costs with family and friends is definately the way to go as long as everybody chips in thier fair share and does thier own reloading. What kind of equipment did you buy?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Typical Buck

Don't know what your loading . 38 special $9 hand loads $3.60 357 $14 hand loads under $4 with commercial cast and your brass . 3006' runs about 7.50 with good bullets 5.50 cast cheap 06' is $12. Maybe if you charge your time its not worth it .And its fun to tune a 3" rifle down to a quarter .
Old 07-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on what you are reloading for, it can be some cheaper or not at all. Some of the common bulk ammo out there today is cheaper than what you can reload for, generally.
However, to me it is the ability to tune a particular load for a particular gun that keeps me at it. When factory ammo gives you 2" groups at 100 yds, and you can shrink that considerably with your own home brew, now you've done something.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Fork Horn

Tuk, we got the rcbs rockchucker supreme kit, and ordered a digital scale, a lyman tumbler and some media. We still need to get a bullet puller and some other odds and ends. And we need to order another manual or two. All four of us will be loading for .300 win mag so wesplit the cost of the dies for that one. Myself, I'll be getting dies for 7mm rem. mag, 30-06, .35 rem., and .45 acp. I'm gonna get my kids either a .260, 7mm-08, or a .308 so I'll be loading one of those as well. What I meant by myquestion was that with this huge price increase we've seen for premium ammo I was wondering if reloading has gained any savings because of it. I've shot federal premiums for years using the trophy-bonded bearclaws. The 150 grn. in my .300, the 140 grn. in my 7mm, and the 165 grn. in my '06. One of the good things about me reloading again is that federal quit carrying these loads in the 7mm and the .300.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can still load ammo for around ten dollars a box for some of my rifles , that bought over the counter wouldcostaroundfifty dollars a box . I'll stick with my reloading for awhile .
Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have been re-loading rifle ammunition for well over 40 years and have almostalways saved money over factory ammunition. i'm pretty lucky to get most of my cases forfree. i do not load pistol ammunition. A friend does that for me with his expensive electric commercialreloading machine.

All my re-loadingequipment is old and was amortized years ago. Currently i am able to re-load .30-06 with 150 grain Sierra Game King bullets for about32 cents a pop..223 costs me about 21-23 centsper round and .22 Hornet ischeaper.With today's high cost of centerfire rifle ammo, it pays to re-load.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Ammo prices around here have gone through the roof. Handloading really pays of on some of my bigger stuff. Black Hills 333 Lapua is $100/box and 416 Rigby Federal Premium is $200 for a box of 20. It's just crazy
Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

The startup cost is painful but you can save money,just payout takes time! I like reloading since I have alot of free time and it makes a person pay attention and concentrate.And when it all comes together and your groups improve you see what you can do with your own hands not some mass produced ammo.I use it asa recreation as much as anything.The thought of components increasing in cost is always on the forfront so you have to watch for deals when you reload.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never actually sat down and figured out the exact cost of reloading a specific cartridge, but I know that I am saving a pile on loading the weatherby brass. It don't cost me $82.00 to roll 20 of my own.I got all of my equipment years ago, and it has probably paid for itself 5 times over the years. There is also the self satisfaction of knowing that you have tailored the load to the particular rifle that you are shooting, wringing that last 1/4 minute of angle out of it. I have been able to better factory loads both in velocity and accuracy on many calibers. Some were fickle, but most showed improvement. Reloading is a blast, if you do so in a safe and concientious manner. Keep the distractions to a minimum, and have fun!

Quick Reply: Cost effectiveness of reloading????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.