Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Shotgun Reloading >

Shotgun Reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Shotgun Reloading

Old 05-06-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Shotgun Reloading

I have some Fed 209 primers but can't find any recipes for them in my Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual. There are several recipes that use Fed 209A. Is the Fed 209 primer useable on recipes that call for Fed 209A primers?

Also, I purchased 500 once fired Remington Hulls (20 gauge) from Midway that want fit into my shotgun. All my reloaded AA 20 gauge hulls work fine. Any ideas about this?

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Shotgun Reloading

I have always used 209A or 209 interchangeably, but thats me.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I threw my Remington hulls away years ago. AA's just work great. I have found all other hulls for skeet shooting to be inconsistent. IMO consistency is the key for any reloading, especially shotgun reloading. Especially if you are using any type of shotgun other than a stack barrel. Stack barrel's will usually shoot anything. Tom.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lambert8455

I have always used 209A or 209 interchangeably, but thats me.
you arent supposed too do that.. a 209A is hotter. but im guilty of doing it aswell. the wourst ive encountered doing this is the primer pocket will become enlarged and when you go to put new primers in they will fit loosely and sometimes fall out. another thing that I have run into is the hulls will stretch so when you apply your crimp the hull will cave in and basically become a useless.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Spike

For the Remington hulls, put them through a resizer and they should fit in your chamber without a problem. They're probably formed to whatever gun they were shot in.

As for the primers, the 209A is probably "hotter" but I bet you could find enough recipes in the older Lyman's manuals.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 209A primers are hotter than the 209's. It depends on the shot shell that you are building. If it is a light load than the 209 primers whould work. Load a few and give them a try. If they are heavier loads with more powder then get the 209A's.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Spike

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm

I remember this guy from Vincennes University when I was there, we both went through the Conservation Law Enforcement program. He has been doing some great research at BR.

rb
Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I threw my Remington hulls away years ago. AA's just work great. I have found all other hulls for skeet shooting to be inconsistent. IMO consistency is the key for any reloading, especially shotgun reloading. Especially if you are using any type of shotgun other than a stack barrel. Stack barrel's will usually shoot anything. Tom.
the blacklow brass "game load" hulls work great for beating around with.

resize them seperate from your MEC resizer, then just use your MEC to decap them.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:23 AM

AA Hulls are the best
i used to load a 1 once hot load for secound season.
using Hercules powder and 7 1/2 shot, man would it smoke em
with the price of reloading componets now,how much does it cost to reload per box of shells?
I have considered getting a 600jr to reload 410s they are over 10 a box now
Old 06-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

last time I went to buy shot, it was damn near $35. a bag.

I'm thinking about just loading my field loads, and buying the cheapie aluminum hulled junk for the range...

Quick Reply: Shotgun Reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.