Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Range of reloading >

Range of reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Range of reloading

Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Range of reloading

Hi everyone- I am pondering getting into reloading. I don't know much about it, and none of my buddies do either. I currently own a .25-06 and a .300 win mag. I was wondering, could one load the .25-06 strong enough such that it would be a reliable, back-up elk rifle? I was wondering about the opposite for the .300 (and I'm pretty sure I already know that answer), could you load it down to say a .308 level (good back-up deer round)?

I was thinking about buying a 7mm-08 to fill a niche between the two guns, but it occurred to me that I could begin reloading for the same price or cheaper than the cost of the gun/scope. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Range of reloading

Absolutely that is one of the benefits to reloading being able to customize loads for applications in your rifles. While the 2506 may never displace your 300 loaded with a bullet such as Barnes TSX, Nosler Part, Swift Aframe, etc it is doable. Same for the 300 or other rifles you may add to the collection.

To minimize the start up couldsee if any of your buds would be interested in reloading, shares if you will. It is a great hobby and good one to share with friends.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't have said it better myself skeeter.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: B Ott

Hi everyone- I am pondering getting into reloading. I don't know much about it, and none of my buddies do either. I currently own a .25-06 and a .300 win mag. I was wondering, could one load the .25-06 strong enough such that it would be a reliable, back-up elk rifle? I was wondering about the opposite for the .300 (and I'm pretty sure I already know that answer), could you load it down to say a .308 level (good back-up deer round)?

I was thinking about buying a 7mm-08 to fill a niche between the two guns, but it occurred to me that I could begin reloading for the same price or cheaper than the cost of the gun/scope. Any opinions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You can do both-develop a backup .25/'06 load for elk, and load the .300 Mag. down to .308 levels.

For the elk load in the .25/'06, I would use a premium 120-grain bullet loaded to over 3000 FPS. You can achieve these velocities in the .25/'06 with IMR 7828, RE22, or Norma MRP powder. I'd use a Nosler Partition, Accubond or a Barnes TSX type bullet. For the .300 Mag., use a 165-grain bullet with 58 grains of IMR 4064 for around 2700 FPS - a .308 Win. equivalent load.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Yup, but I wouldn't load the 300 down unless the deer are always under 150yds. Just use your elk load so you don't have to re-sight the gun in. Just my 2 cents, Brett
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hunter5325

Yup, but I wouldn't load the 300 down unless the deer are always under 150yds. Just use your elk load so you don't have to re-sight the gun in. Just my 2 cents, Brett
Or, use your .25/'06 elk load for deer too.....
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info. This has definitely gotten me thinking more about reloading and perhaps by-passing another rifle... Then again, who am I kidding!

I'm not wed to my .300 as I sort of fell into it by accident. Is there a similar round (7mm mag, .300 WSM) that may be better for reloading for any particular reason? I will probably end up replacing that gun at some point. Thanks again!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: B Ott

Is there a similar round (7mm mag, .300 WSM) that may be better for reloading for any particular reason?Thanks again!
When the .300 Win. Mag. first came out, it was widely critisized as having a too-short neck. People thought the .30/.338( a wildcat made by merely necking down the .338 Win.) or the .308 Norma were both better designs.

However, over the years, the .300 Win. Mag. has proven to be an excellent cartridge. If you like it, it is as good as any similar round, including the various 7mm's..... No real reason to change!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

B Ott

It sounds like your looking for something with a little less kick. Your 300 win mag is very versitle, but is even more so if you reload like someone already posted you can get down to .308 or even lower levels if you reload. I will say, I started reloading late in the game about 5 yrs. ago and would not ever go back to factory loads.What I really think though is that you should go ahead and buy that 7mm 08 and get started in reloading both you deserve it. I have a 7mm08 and love it you wont be disapointed there. I have one in a savage(very accurate)scout model that is light enough for my son to use deer and elk hunting when he is old enough. as they say my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definately get into the reloading. You can load the 300 down, but why bother. Anything that I ever shot with it was a full power load, and they never complained. A 300 is very versatile. The 25 06 fills the niche for smaller stuff. I found that the 120 grain Speer worked great in it a long time ago. For the 300, the 200 grain spitzer was excellent.

Quick Reply: Range of reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.