Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Strange Problem reloading? Help! >

Strange Problem reloading? Help!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Strange Problem reloading? Help!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Strange Problem reloading? Help!

Today I went out to shoot, working up a load for this elk season. Early I know, but I like to shoot...

Loading Nosler Accubonds in 300 Win Mag. 180 Gr. Found a max load on Reloaders Nest for 77 Gr using RL-22. I have a large 5 lb can. I looked through the Nosler book at the store, and they recommended 71.5 (Min), 73.5 (Most Accurate), and 75.5 (Max).

So I loaded 3 -71.5, 3 -73.5, 3 -75.5, and 3 - 76 Gr.

Shot off about 40 Hornady 168 SPBT first (so no problem with gun) using 75 Gr. RL-22.

Then the problem switching over to the Accubonds.

Fired one of the 71.5 powder loads - I hear a click, but nothing. With earplugs sounded like I dry fired. I thought a misfire, opened the bolt slowly. I expected to see the entire shell, with bullet. However, no bullet. Primer spent and powder burned. Bullet in barrel somewhere. So I leave the range expecting to have to take this to a smith.

Get home and try with a cleaning rod to see how hard it is wedged. The WEIGHT of just the rod knocks the bullet back down into the chamber. No rifling and no pressure to get out.

At first I thought this may be due to low powder (71.5 gr.) But now think it may be something with the seating? I seated them all, and always have at the published COL length of 3.340" Never had a problem until now?

Confused?????
Old 02-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Strange Problem reloading? Help!

Sounds like you missed filling that case. If the primer went off and a full load of powder had been ignited, you would have known it. Flash and gasses everywhere. 71.5 gr of RL22 makes a big explosion. Are you sure that the powder didn't fall out in the action somewhere?

The Hornady book starts out around 63-64 with a 180 gr so 71.5 should be an undercharge.

I personally do not try loadsthat are over thebook max.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just sounds to me like you missed charging the shell with powder. The primer can have enough power to lodge the bullet in the barrel. The other thing you may wish to check is the actual diameter of those bullets. Seems one of our guys had a bit of a problem with this very thing not too long ago.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmmmm , sounds like you missed a powder charge, only the primer went off and it just doesnt offer enough pressure to get the bullet past the throat. I would certainly think if there was any powder present in the case, it would have driven the bullet into the rifling and you would have to use some force to drive it out.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: kelbro

Sounds like you missed filling that case. If the primer went off and a full load of powder had been ignited, you would have known it. Flash and gasses everywhere. 71.5 gr of RL22 makes a big explosion. Are you sure that the powder didn't fall out in the action somewhere?

The Hornady book starts out around 63-64 with a 180 gr so 71.5 should be an undercharge.

I personally do not try loadsthat are over thebook max.
This seems to be an even better an explanation perhaps. I know I reloaded carefully, but may have missed one.

I have the Hornady book as well, but not the Nosler. I was going to buy the book, you know those cheapies for 1 caliber.. where they have all the bullet makers in one for $7.99. THe Hornady book I have lists 180 from 63.5 to 76 gr.

No BOOM. That is what surprised me. There was soot on the bottom of the bullet, like burnt powder. Can a primer do that? I have the other 2, and both with powder but unsure to fire them... Really my rifle is fine, and have shot Hornady 180 gr up to 74 gr. so far. Better to err on the side of caution.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Just sounds to me like you missed charging the shell with powder. The primer can have enough power to lodge the bullet in the barrel. The other thing you may wish to check is the actual diameter of those bullets. Seems one of our guys had a bit of a problem with this very thing not too long ago.
Thanks for the idea... even though they came straight out of an unopened Nosler box. Now that would get them a nasty call!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM

ORIGINAL: kelbro

How would 71.5 be an undercharge? This should be about smack dab in the middle of Hornady's numbers, as they max at 76.0 for RL22
Old 02-21-2007, 08:47 PM

That had to be it. Thanks for the really simple explanation fellas. I am thinking if there were powder then I should be able to tell. I can tell when the 300 Mag goes off! That is what had me so confused. Like, is that it where did the recoil and noise go? I guess I fired a blank...

The primer sound going off, must have been the click sound (with ear protection)
Old 02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be more carefull next time
Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Be more carefull next time
Even though I am very careful, it goes to show that mistakes can easily be made. Although I feel it a stupid error, guess it could be much worse!

Quick Reply: Strange Problem reloading? Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.