Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Little tip to eliminate runout >

Little tip to eliminate runout

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Little tip to eliminate runout

Old 01-21-2007, 03:37 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Little tip to eliminate runout

Here is the one I have. The tip would be great, but thats pretty tough to have .001" runout or less there.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/images/gold/full/09-150.jpg

Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m going to look into it. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated...
Old 01-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried all the methods mentioned on how to eliminate runnout,and they do help, but the technique of turnning and reamming casenecks along with thetechuiques mentioned in this thread have done the trick for me. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.benchrest.com/hnh/

here's anotherpic.

Sometimes I hate reading this forum becauseyou guyskeeps pointing out new gadgets I didnt know I needed.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

That piece of equipment from H & H looks serious. Does anyone have one, how do you like it, and approx. price?
I never paid much attention to this before...only occasionally rolled a load across a counter top looking for eccentricity, but that was it.
Like Duckbutter said...................
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The simplest and cheapest method I have found for reducing runout is sizing with the Lee collet neck die. Of course a good quality seater is necessary also and in that regard I use either the Redding Comp or Forster Benchrest. I suppose the Forster Co-Ax press should be given some of the credit also, but there's no question the Lee collet neck die deserves most of the credit. Before I bought my first one I was using Redding Type S bushing dies and runout was never to my liking. The Lee die changed that.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

That piece of equipment from H & H looks serious. Does anyone have one, how do you like it, and approx. price?
I never paid much attention to this before...only occasionally rolled a load across a counter top looking for eccentricity, but that was it.
Like Duckbutter said...................
I dont have one(yet) just did a little search on them and found one different the BC's so I posted pic. I didnt find price on it. Looks like it wont be cheap.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:33 PM
bigcountry

solitary, no doubt the lee collet creates straight brass. My brass is very straight, well my necks are very straight, but this problem is found assuming straight necks with a collet die.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM

Add my name to the list of those who have had amazing results with the $20 Lee Collet die. I have quite a few sets of benchrest dies - but I keep coming back to the Lee Collet for the last word in tight groups. They also are just the ticket for neck sizing the entire family of Ackley Improved calibers, since they have no real "body" taper to them and don't touch anything but the neck. I still use a Redding seat die as well as a Redding Body die to bump the shoulder back every three loadings.

I also use the Bigcountry technique for seating bullets. Slows things down quite a bit, but the results are quantifiable. One other thing I have done in the past to get real straight bullet seating is to use a shell holder one size bigger than the correct one for seating. I also turn the die down as close to the shell holder as possible without it actually making hard contact with the case. Quite a few presses have the center of the shell holder slot not perfectly aligned with the center of the die threads. And then there are variations with the actual shell holders and dies during the manufacturing process. Between the generous shellholer, the Lee Collet resizing, and the Bigcountry seating method; you get some pretty straight loaded rounds.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 AM
bigcountry

Roskoe, you mean you have known about this tip for years and not let me know?

You could have saved mealot of moneyin Redding benchrest dies and sinclair neck turning. Yours and brimans are good ones.

Quick Reply: Little tip to eliminate runout

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.