Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Match Brass

Old 12-01-2002, 07:43 AM

Default Match Brass

Do you use less powder when using Match brass?

I'm reloading for my 308 using 165 spbt, Remington brass, 45gr of H335 powder and match primers. Now I'd like to transfer this load to match brass and since it holds about one grain less powder I have always used one grain less powder in my loads. Is this necessary?

This about a MAX. load and i'm a bit concerned about pressures in my old 788 Remington.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-03-2002, 10:11 AM

Default RE: Match Brass

I havn't ever loaded anything with match brass but If I remember correctly they recomend lower your load with this brass ( I may be wrong).

I always do what Gunfighter suggested and buy brass with the same lot number.

If you want to match this brass then go through and weigh each case, choosing the ones that are closest in wieght. You should be able to find about 150 cases out of a 250 case bag that are very close to each other, then trim them all to exact same length, debur and chanfer, and you are ready to reload with cases that should be very close to each other in pressure.

" Anyone can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a Dad"
Old 12-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

ddavis263,

If you switch to match-type brass, you will definitely need to drop your powder charge some. For a non-maximum load, I usually start with .5gr less and work that area........figuring that it takes about a .5gr change to show up on most targets anyway.

With a max load like yours, I would drop back 1.5 to 2gr and then work back up in smaller (say .3gr) increments.

"Every moving thing that liveth, I give unto you as meat" (Gen 9:3)

Trust God..........but keep your powder dry!
Old 12-14-2002, 01:45 AM

DDAVIS263,
The change of brass, even to the same make but different lots, should ALWAYS be cause to rework a load. Any time a component is changed good judgement dictates that precautions be taken against injury. If the match brass is milsup, your max load may go ballistic. We can ill afford the loss of a good man.

BigBob .30-06