Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Load data

Old 01-15-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Load data

How often should the load data books be updated that you use? I was looking at gunbroker and a guy is selling caliber specific load data books, i.e. 7mm-08 and .30-06 but publish date is 1995. Pretty much was wondering whould this info still be pretty good or has powders/primers etc changed too severely in that 12 yrs?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 AM

Default RE: Load data

There have beenquite a lot ofpowder & bulletchanges and additions since 1995, so yeah, I'd say it's a little dated.
Since 1997, a lot of new factory cartridges started hitting the market: 260 Rem, 204 Ruger,WSM's, WSSM's,RSAUM's, Ultra Mag's, and more. New powders and bulletshave been developed that are taylored to some of these new rounds. And of course they work with older cartridges also.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 AM
bigcountry

Well, any loads you get anywhere are just a quick and dirty reference guide. I know alot of people like hard rules for loads, but you can't do that. Some guns I have had with custom barrels, I could not reach max hodgdon loads without pressure signs. And some guns, I have went well past max loads maybe 2 grains or so with no pressure signs. Those load books are ok butage is not the issue but validity of the data. But if it was me, I would buy several sources from bullet and powder mfg. to make my decision.

What I do when loading a new wieght, is get out all my sources, Sierra, Nosler, Lyman, HornadySpeer, IMR, Hodgdon, Alliant, etc. I write down all the max loads, and applicable powders. and make a decision from there. I give a powder a try. I won't hesitate to move slowly past max load if I see promising results. Just move slowly.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 AM

Pretty much what I thought. There is a few manuals from last yr though so I got them bookmarked to watch. I am slowly gathering things together to get started well.
On a side note, can anyone give me a rough estimate on how many reloads I can exspect from say 1 lb. of IMR4350 using .30-06 cases? Graf's
has some but that HazMat charge will start to eat u alive if not careful shopping! [:-]
Old 01-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TxStorm

On a side note, can anyone give me a rough estimate on how many reloads I can exspect from say 1 lb. of IMR4350 using .30-06 cases? Graf's
has some but that HazMat charge will start to eat u alive if not careful shopping! [:-]
I did a search on pounds to grains conversions using 53 grs of IMR 4350 (thats what load I use) and the math says ~327 loads @53gr out of a pound.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: TxStorm

I did a search on pounds to grains conversions using 53 grs of IMR 4350 (thats what load I use) and the math says ~327 loads @53gr out of a pound.

More like 127 loads. Pal, I don't know what math they teach you at t-town high, but its differnet than the rest of the world.[:-][8D]

7000grains= 1lb
7000/53=132

I would be conservative, since I put alot on the floor sometime and call it 130 loads from 1lb of powder.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

More like 127 loads. Pal, I don't know what math they teach you at t-town high, but its differnet than the rest of the world.[:-][8D]

7000grains= 1lb
7000/53=132

I would be conservative, since I put alot on the floor sometime and call it 130 loads from 1lb of powder.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:35 AM
bigcountry

See, Mossy deserves this lashing. Every time I hang with him, I get a English lesson. He says Ten (10), like one would say tan, but differently. I pronounce it like I was tought by my grade school teacher like "tin". He says the word "our", like hour on a clock. I pronounce it the correct way, like "err".

Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

See, Mossy deserves this lashing. Every time I hang with him, I get a English lesson. He says Ten (10), like one would say tan, but differently. I pronounce it like I was tought by my grade school teacher like "tin". He says the word "our", like hour on a clock. I pronounce it the correct way, like "err".
First off, I was just quoting what the web conversion said I dunno Ive never been through an entire pound for one specific cartridge.....second off I correct your speach because you speak like some creature in the bar from the movie Star Wars. I say pen andten like its supposed to sound, you say pen like its spelled pin. And our IS pronounced like hour on a clock......of course I couldnt expect someone from Kentucky to understand correct English, you speak Appalachian American
Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

you speak Appalachian American
It's a code I tell ya, it's a code!

Quick Reply: Load data

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.