HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Slowest STW known to man (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/172964-slowest-stw-known-man.html)

bigcountry 01-01-2007 05:03 PM

Slowest STW known to man

Goodness graceous, I have the slowest 7mm STW known to man. I shot my 7828 load tonight 74gr with 160gr with avg. velocity 2900fps. Its out of a Sako 75 with 26" barrel. I have shot H1000 with ok accuracy but not what I was looking for. Thinking of RL25. I also have RL22, H4831sc and Retumbo to try.

mossy33oak 01-01-2007 05:15 PM

RE: Slowest STW known to man

Yeah it wasnt a pretty day at the range with bigcountry......especially when my 7 rem mag out shot his 7 STW by 200 fps. He was moanin the whole time......"I got the slowest 7STW on the planet". The real kicker was when I brought out my 7mm-08 and shot a 160gr at 3100, he was ready to jump off a cliff! :D

trailer 01-01-2007 05:34 PM

Mossy, You do know he’s probably not going to talk to you for a while until his STW is up to speed...:D

mossy33oak 01-01-2007 05:57 PM

yeah, he was pretty bummed.....I guess were gonna have to get ol' stubblejumper down here from Canada and show him how to load the STW up to get 3400 fps like he says he does ;):D

trailer 01-01-2007 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

I guess were gonna have to get ol' stubblejumper down here from Canada and show him how to load the STW up to get 3400 fps like he says he does ;):D
No..No..No don’t do that. BC will never forgive you....:D

ranger140892 01-01-2007 07:33 PM

Give slower burning powders a try with that 26" barrel. IMR7928 is a little fast for a large capacity cartridge like that.

The last rifle I built for myself is a 700 in 280 Rem. I went with a 26" barrel for some silly reason. Every load I shot through it was way slower than the maunals said. I finally figured that since I was using a 26" barrel that maybe chamber pressure was dropping off while the bullet was still in the bore. So, I started experimenting with powders that were slower than listed loads. It worked. Now I get the velocity without the hot loads.

I also go the other direction with my XP100 pistols in 308 Win and 243 Win. Both have 17" barrels, so to get the velocity I want, I started with the fastest powders listed, then went off the chart to even faster powders. My deer load with the 308 is a Barnes 150 gr TSX with RL12 and it's moving at just under 2700 fps. Elk load is a 165 gr TSX, RL15 at 2550 fps.Pretty fast for a handgun.

Long story short, get a burn rate chart, and experiment....Safely!

bigcountry 01-01-2007 07:50 PM

I was just looking at my H1000 load data and with 78gr I was getting 3050fps, which is nothing to shout at, but lot better.

I got about 1/4 pound of RL25. Might give it a try.

mossy33oak 01-01-2007 09:00 PM

man I just remembered this, you guys wanna really get bigcountry frazzled, ask him about his .308 and a certain collet die ;):D

bigcountry: "I spent 3 days loading those suckers"
mossy: "Whudya do that for?"
bigcountry: "I dunno" [:@]

#40Fan 01-01-2007 09:22 PM

Should call it the STM....Slower Than Molasses....:D

bigcountry 01-02-2007 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

man I just remembered this, you guys wanna really get bigcountry frazzled, ask him about his .308 and a certain collet die ;):D

bigcountry: "I spent 3 days loading those suckers"
mossy: "Whudya do that for?"
bigcountry: "I dunno" [:@]
Actually I went thru the whole box of 45 and only 4 had issues. Not sure why it happened. Unless my chamber is out of round.

bigcountry 01-02-2007 07:33 AM

Ridge I was thinking also of trying AA8700. I don't have any now. But a sphereical powder might be nice as you imply.

jeepkid 01-02-2007 09:18 AM

I loaded up some 160's for my 7mm Rem Mag with H-870 and the book says they should be right at 3200 fps. But I haven't chronographed them yet. They were Accubonds.

bigcountry 01-02-2007 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I loaded up some 160's for my 7mm Rem Mag with H-870 and the book says they should be right at 3200 fps. But I haven't chronographed them yet. They were Accubonds.
what book in the world said you can get 3200fps with a 7mmremmag and 160's? I know its not Nosler. I know its not Hogdon.

Rebel Hog 01-02-2007 11:11 AM

Check these out BC

J36 LOADING DATA

Roskoe 01-02-2007 11:15 AM

Mark - I hate to break this to you, man; but you might have just gotten a really slow barrel here. I've seen this before - had a .300 Weatherby 26" Shilen barrel back in 1996 that couldn't safely make 3,000 fps with any 180 gr. bullet. On the other extreme, I have also had a couple of Shilen SS barrels in 7 STW that could safely make 3600 with a 140 gr. bullet. It is what it is . . . . and I doubt if playing around with a bunch of powders is going to improve things very much.

Having said that, have you checked the amount of freeboreahead of that chamber? It is also possible that this gun has a really long throat, and the loads you are shooting are not developing the kind of pressure that we normally associate with "full throttle" - even though they are close to what the book lists as a maximum charge? Just a passing thought . . . .

bigcountry 01-02-2007 11:26 AM

You might be right Roskoe. I am going to give RL25 and Retumbo a try. Its just a shame to burn 80gr of powder for 7mmremmag velocities.

And yes, it does have alot of freebore. I load to 3.63", to fit my mag, and it doesn't touch the rifleing until 3.75". But it shot factories fine. I should have chrono'd.

I do have a spare barrel. I got it off a guy who bought a Sako75 and never shot the first round off, but had it rebarreled immediately. So maybe I could get my gunsmith to back up the freebore some. I still got some options.

bigcountry 01-02-2007 01:26 PM

Just got off the phone from the Shooting Chrony folks. They said they bet anything that I am shooting too close to the chrony in why my velocities were so low.

Ok, yesterday was the first time I have shot so close thru my chrony. Usually at my normal range, I have to put out like 17ft to get sunlight causethe range iscovered. Yesterday I didn't think about it, and was shooting with mossy. I had the chrono like maybe 8ft away from my muzzle. The guys at shooting chrony told me the more powerful gun I shoot, the worst it should be off. Sounds right, my 45-70 was decently on, what I would expect, my 308win was about 50-60fps slower than expected from previous shooting, mossy's rem mag was 100-130fps slower than expected, and my STW was 150fps slower than expected. I have never shot that close, so he may be on something there.

So this may explain my crazy slowness. He told me minimum of 15ft from the muzzle. I have always read that, but didn't expect it to make a difference.

mossy33oak 01-02-2007 04:23 PM

man if thats the case, that 3180 fps outta my 25-06 should really look good when we move it out! I might be gettin close to 3300!!!! :D

Duckbutter48 01-02-2007 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Just got off the phone from the Shooting Chrony folks. They said they bet anything that I am shooting too close to the chrony in why my velocities were so low.

Ok, yesterday was the first time I have shot so close thru my chrony. Usually at my normal range, I have to put out like 17ft to get sunlight causethe range iscovered. Yesterday I didn't think about it, and was shooting with mossy. I had the chrono like maybe 8ft away from my muzzle. The guys at shooting chrony told me the more powerful gun I shoot, the worst it should be off. Sounds right, my 45-70 was decently on, what I would expect, my 308win was about 50-60fps slower than expected from previous shooting, mossy's rem mag was 100-130fps slower than expected, and my STW was 150fps slower than expected. I have never shot that close, so he may be on something there.

So this may explain my crazy slowness. He told me minimum of 15ft from the muzzle. I have always read that, but didn't expect it to make a difference.
Dumb question, should all Chronys be that far away? Ive never heard that and when me and bud occasionally shoot thru it, wellthe results areusually disappointing to say the least.

bigcountry 01-02-2007 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

Dumb question, should all Chronys be that far away? Ive never heard that and when me and bud occasionally shoot thru it, wellthe results areusually disappointing to say the least.
Well, I notice in all published results like in Rifle or Reloader mag, they always state chrono set 5 yards from muzzle. I was doing some research, and it sounds like with a subsonic pistol, effects can be worse because the actual blast will trigger the sensors, and then comes the bullet. And with high powered rifles, the bullet comes first and the blast will be the dominating effect on the photocells. I know everytime mossy and I took a shot with our 7mm mag I would see the chrono rock from the blast.

I ain't no expert on the Chrono, as I use it 3 maybe 4 times a year as it takes away from my concentration when load development.

I also used to use scotch tape over the sensors on bright days, and it seemed to make results very repeatable. I can see how that might help minimize the blast effects also.

Well, mossy, I will load up another 40 rounds and lets give it another try on Sunday?

trailer 01-02-2007 06:25 PM

Let us know how it works because I’m very curious about the distance on that Chrono. I always set my chrono at 10 feet and sometimes wouldn’t get any reading...

Ripstop 01-02-2007 07:41 PM

I use one quite often and usually set it up 10-12 feet away. I don't even know it is there now.

This is from their manual:

4. To safeguard the instrument (and to obtain the best results), the projectile must pass between 6 and 4 inches (15 and 10 cm) directly OVER the Twin Lenses in the black plastic boxes at the front and back of the chronograph. These are the chronograph’s "eyes". Attaching pieces of dark-coloured tape on the guide rods (wire rods) at these heights, will help you to accurately aim your shots.

5. The Shooting Area
. Every Shooting Chrony and Master Chrony comes equipped with an adjustable-size, triangular shooting area (actually an upside down trapezium) from 8"X8" to 14.5"X14.5" (Fig. 2). All Chronys come equipped with four 9.25" wire rods as well as four 6.5" wire rods with brass connectors attached. The 9.25" wire rods are to be inserted at an angle into the outer holes visible on the black plastic boxes of the unit. On bright, sunny (blue sky) days, install the white plastic diffusers on top of the wire rods (to simulate clouds). The photo-sensors are pointed at the diffusers, which create a white background (clouds or diffusers). On cloudy days, use wire rods for alignment, but without the diffusers.

Chronographs should be at least 10 feet (3 m) from the muzzle of a high-powered rifle, but can be closer to guns with a lesser blast. Five feet (1.5 m) is about right for .22 rimfire firearms. Shotguns should be fired at 5 feet because of the spreading pattern of the shot and errant wads. Arrows must be clear of the bowstring before passing over the first "eye".

Hope this helps

48thguns 01-02-2007 07:54 PM

I had the same problem with mine. You need to carefully bump up the powder on the STW. The maufactures are waaaaaay too conservative. I own a Sako 75 and was getting anemic velocities with mine. A fellow on another forum had the same problem until he bumped it up a full grain and 1/2.......then 3300+ was achieved instantly. I did the same with mine, and there are no pressure signs at all....none nada. I had to quit before deer season, however, when the weather gets better, I'll be doing some futher testing.....the bottom line is this.....7mm STW published loads are so conservative it isn't even funny.....it's pathetic! I have narrowed my powders to RL22 and IMR 4831.....this story is far from over. The factory Federal premium 150 grainers chronied at 3280 in my sako......wonder what they are using? Not Hodgdon data that's for sure!!! PM me for other findings. Regards, Rick.

jeepkid 01-03-2007 08:59 AM

Big Country- I got it out of the Nosler book. It's H870, 79.5 grains, at 3112 fps. Little slower then I remembered, but still pretty quick for a rem mag.

bigcountry 01-03-2007 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

Big Country- I got it out of the Nosler book. It's H870, 79.5 grains, at 3112 fps. Little slower then I remembered, but still pretty quick for a rem mag.
Yea, my load is supposed be kicking out at 3100fps too, but its more like 2900fps. Hope that load works out for you.

blaserman 01-03-2007 06:05 PM

You Need to go Over to Longrangehunting .com and ask Kirby Allen or Fifty Driver he has built a Ton of STW's .
Sounds like the wrong bullet for the Twist of the Barrel. He specializes in that kind of Calibers , He makes a smoking 257 STW at 3900 fps.

bigcountry 01-03-2007 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: blaserman

You Need to go Over to Longrangehunting .com and ask Kirby Allen or Fifty Driver he has built a Ton of STW's .
Sounds like the wrong bullet for the Twist of the Barrel. He specializes in that kind of Calibers , He makes a smoking 257 STW at 3900 fps.
I appreciate the advise but its shooting very accurate. I don't see how velocity has something to do with twist.

bigcountry 01-03-2007 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

Big,
you at book max big or did you work up a max load for your rifle? sounds like your chamber is oversized causing pressures to run lower, I loaded for a guys 7 RM once like that, was shooting 280 rem velocities so I kept going up while watching for pressure signs, finaly got it where it was sposed to be.
RR
I have loaded up to max "book" load but never saw any pressure signs, but accuracy started falling down. I was reading old layne Simpsons loads and dad gone, that guy really pushed those loads. His max load for 160gr bullet was 86gr of H1000. And that was kicking it almost 3400fps. I don't know how he didn't see any pressure signs.

So tonight I loaded up several different combos to try. One was with RL25 78gr to 80gr, and another was H1000 78gr to 80gr. I was getting 3050fps with 78gr of H1000 last year and got average 1MOA accuracy but didn't go past 78gr. Well see how accuracy goes with 80gr.

bigcountry 01-04-2007 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok big, keep us posted, when I first started loading for my STW in 96, I wasn't getting the velocity I thought I should, kept getting flattened primers, finally out of frustration I called sierra, talked to a tech, he got me straightened out and I'm well satisfied with my STW.
My loads are rem. case/140 gr nosler bt/fed. 215/86 gr. H1000/3550 fps
/160 gr nosler accubns/fed 215/94 gr. wc872/3430 fps
THESE ARE MAX IN MY RIFLE CUT THEM 10%, AND WORK UP!!!!
RR
Those are nice loads. I wanted to try some of that WC872. Not sure what I would do with 8lbs of the stuff. I wonder if its like AA8700?

blaserman 01-04-2007 09:22 PM

Ridge I see you shoot one of Kirby's 7 MM 's . He builds some super Rifles and Calibers. Kirby is working some New Allen Magnums.

bigcountry 01-07-2007 05:27 PM

Well, I guess the guys at Chrony is correct. I moved the Chrony back to 15 feet past the muzzle. I shot my 7mmSTW loads and gained another 100fps velocity. I tried out some RL25 loads and got good velocity but accuracy was 1.1MOA average with 5-10MPH winds.

7mmSTW
160gr Accubond
74gr 7828
2990fps Average

160gr Accubond
80gr RL25
3120fps Average

48thguns 01-07-2007 05:41 PM

Well, I guess the guys at Chrony is correct. I moved the Chrony back to 15 feet past the muzzle. I shot my 7mmSTW loads and gained another 100fps velocity. I tried out some RL25 loads and got good velocity but accuracy was 1.1MOA average with 5-10MPH winds.

7mmSTW
160gr Accubond
74gr 7828
2990fps Average

160gr Accubond
80gr RL25
3120fps Average

I sure wished I could help you as I am at mid stream myself on the darn thing. My rifle is a Sako 75 with a 25 inch, I think, barrel. I finally got it over 3300 with that 140gr but they were all over the place. I have a hunch...just a hunch mind you that it may perform better with the 150/160gr bullets. I did manage a 1/2 inch group with IMR4831at 3075 MV and gave up prior to deer season. I will not waste anymore powder in a rifle that underperforms a 7mag and I will not blow myself up stretching the evelope. My next testing will be with the 150 and 160gr bullet....all my buddies say it will shoot the 160's at 3300'/sec with no pressure problems...We'll see. regards, Rick.

bigcountry 01-07-2007 09:57 PM

Actually I am pretty happy with 3150fps with 160gr bullet. I can live with that. I just couldn't live with 2900fps. I would just rechamber to a rem mag if thats the case. I didn't have any pressure signs with 80gr of RL25 but think I am stopping there.

trailer 01-08-2007 05:48 AM

Well, I guess the guys at Chrony is correct. I moved the Chrony back to 15 feet past the muzzle.

Would this be for magnums only or would it apply for regular cartridges also ?...

mossy33oak 01-08-2007 01:55 PM

yeah Im glad bigcountry finally got that thing to hit 3100 fps. I think he was ready to whoop my butt when he got it outta the case and I said "Oh so you're gonna shoot the turtle now huh??" :D

nunya 01-12-2007 03:58 PM

how did mossy33 oak get a7mm-08 w/160 gr bullet to go 3100 fps

bigcountry 01-12-2007 04:36 PM

He didn't, I got a STW to go 3100fps

nunya 01-12-2007 05:48 PM

my nosler manual lists 85 gr aa8700start 3058 89 max 3184 for 7mmstw the latter 98% case cap

mossy33oak 01-12-2007 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: nunya

[align=right]how did mossy33 oak get a7mm-08 w/160 gr bullet to go 3100 fps[/align]
it was a JOKE!!! I do what I can to get the bigboy rattled! :D

CAJUNBOWHNTR 01-22-2007 06:13 PM

hey BChave you chronyed a 139 or 140 garin bullet in your STW?.I'm thinking of building one on an older sako action.

Thanks,
CB