Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS? >

BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS?

I can't meet Barnes' recommendation for the distance off the lands and still fit the cartridges in my mags. Still trying to develop a load with 130TSX in my A-Bolt .270. Most bullets that I have tried have come in at around 15 rds. I have gone through an entire box of Barnes TSX and still don't have decent groups. This last batch that I have yet to shoot is loaded 4 pcs. at 59.0, 4 at 59.5, 4 at 60.0 and 4 at 60.5 grains of RL22. I tried 4831SC and couldn't get decent groups. Open to recommendations here.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:00 PM

I'm confused: You can't meet Barne's recommendation and still get them in your mag?? Barnes recommends they be seated deeper than other bullets.

Anyway, it took me a long time before I finally seated .050" off the lands with Barnes bullets. It worked. Now I've got several sub .5 moa loads in 3 different guns.
ORIGINAL: kelbro

I can't meet Barnes' recommendation for the distance off the lands and still fit the cartridges in my mags. Still trying to develop a load with 130TSX in my A-Bolt .270. Most bullets that I have tried have come in at around 15 rds. I have gone through an entire box of Barnes TSX and still don't have decent groups. This last batch that I have yet to shoot is loaded 4 pcs. at 59.0, 4 at 59.5, 4 at 60.0 and 4 at 60.5 grains of RL22. I tried 4831SC and couldn't get decent groups. Open to recommendations here.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Yes. .050 off the lands (in this rifle) creates a COAL that is too long for my mag. Seated to a COAL that fits the mag puts the ogive further than .050 off the lands. Maybe this rifle has a long throat.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

My brother has the same problem with his a-bolt. It is that funny little detachable magazine that is to short.

mello
Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 AM

Really?! Long throat, short mag, huh? That's bad sincerounds loaded withBarnes bullets at they'redepth are shorter thanrounds loaded with standard bullets.Sounds like a round nose bullet gun.
ORIGINAL: kelbro

Yes. .050 off the lands (in this rifle) creates a COAL that is too long for my mag. Seated to a COAL that fits the mag puts the ogive further than .050 off the lands. Maybe this rifle has a long throat.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Yep, as bad as I wanted these to work, the 140 gr. Accubonds shoot like a dream in this rifle and I will probably stick with them. I might try the TSX in my son's Rem700 .270. Maybe the ADL mag box is a little longer.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Spike

If your having a problem getting them in to fit in your mag you should try loading some of barnes's 6.8 (.277)110 TSX. The bullet is shorter and would probably fit. I use 56gr of IMR 4350, shoots sub 1/2 groups at 100 and is right at 3200 fps. I shot a Doe on the 31st at just under 300 yards and the bullet performance was great, clean pass threw both shoulders. I couldn't tell any difference from the 130 TSX I had been using.

I see where people have a accuracy problem withBarnes bullets, but I have never experinced this problem. But I understandeach gun likes different bullets. I think the biggest thing for barnes bullets to be accurate is a super clean barrel. I rarely shoot mine more than 5 times without cleaning it. I use the barnes CR-10 cleaner and the cleaning procedure on the side of the bottle and it works for me.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:47 PM

Say what you want about price,I don't use them for target practice. I have used them in both my .260 and my .308, I would not use another bullet at this point in time for big game hunting. I do my own reloading, and have tried any number of other bullets, nothing has come close as far as accuracy and doing whatI want a bullet to do on game. Lots of other bullets will drop deer/caribou/elk/ also, but when I go, the Barnes Triple Shock will be my choice.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

I think that a couple of you misunderstood my problem. The ogive is further back on the TSX than the Accubonds. To get the ogive that close to the lands, the overall length of the loaded cartridge is too long to fit the magwell.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Spike

I will say Barnes is making a quality bullet with there TSX. I gave them a try this fall and they shoot very well from my Winchester model70- 270. Then so will many other offerings. If you are one who wishes to see bang flop performance, this bullet may disappoint you. I only shot one doe this year with a 130 gr.TSX and I ended up shooting her twice. As it turned out both shots went through the heart.
Needless to say the second shot was un-necessary. Although she was running into some heavy cover and she had given no indication that the first shot was fatal. So I followed up with the Texas heart shot and this round still gave full penetration. Very little meat was lost due to hydrostatic shock on this doe.
As things turned out the first bullet created a good 5/8” entrance wound channel and close to 1.5” exit wound in the opposite shoulder. The blood trail was all one would hope for. And I doubt she would have made it another 30 yards if I had not delivered the follow up shot.

Bottom line the Barnes TSX did a fine job. Although I am sure there are a number of other bullets that would do very well at ¼th the cost. Still if you are looking for a accurate bullet and minimized tissue damage, Barnes TSX will do the job.

Quick Reply: BARNES TRIPLE SHOCK BULLETS?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.