Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

HELP!!

Old 12-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP!!

Birdman: Trap and skeet are two totally differen games. Basically skeet is a faster, closer game, that requires faster reflexes and does not require heavier loads. The targets are easier to break. So 8's and 9's are used. It gives you more shot in the game. Trap is a slower game, and is shot at longer distances. You want a little more power, and long distance breaking power. So normally a more powerful shell, and larger shot, thus 7 1/2's.

There are way too many differences to try to explain here. Go to a web site and you will see what I mean.

I disagree with High Dessert when he says skeet loads are heavier than trap. You would not be allowed to compete with 3 1/2 dram loads in WV at the skeet range.And there is no reason for a heavy load, especially when you shoot 200 or 300 rounds in a day.

And then there are Sporting Clay loads, but then that is another story. You first need to determine which sport you are wanting to load for. then go from there. If I were you I would buy Top Gun from WallyWorld, and try shootingthem all. Tom.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:03 PM

ok i see where i was confused now, skeet is the 180 degree course, and trap is that five stations that fly away from you. I thought u meant trap=hunting.

So then does that mean if i want to say put 5 shot in for rabbits I have to change a whole bunch of stuff like i would between trap and skeet?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have loaded untold thousands of shells for skeet shooting, and quit a few to shoot trap also. I have never felt the need to load for hunting. I could never justify the cost of reloading equipment, for the few hunting shells I would shoot. The only hunting shot shells that I reload for is turkey. I use my Rockchucker for that. I load one at a time. I doubt if I shoot 20 turkey rounds per year. Tom.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:11 PM

what if i loaded an 8 to possibly load for both trap and skeet??
Old 12-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: birdman686

ok i see where i was confused now, skeet is the 180 degree course, and trap is that five stations that fly away from you. I thought u meant trap=hunting.

So then does that mean if i want to say put 5 shot in for rabbits I have to change a whole bunch of stuff like i would between trap and skeet?
I've killed many a squirrel, dove, and rabbit with a skeet load of No. 9 shot. I've used 71/2's for pheasant, but prefer 6's.

Another difference between trap & skeet that I failed to mention is the guns themselves. A skeet gun usually has a very open choke or none at all ("cylinder bore"), but trap guns are usually choked full. The guys who can break 25 straight at skeet with a trap gun are indeed good!