Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 7mm-08 for a new reloader >

7mm-08 for a new reloader

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

7mm-08 for a new reloader

Old 11-25-2006, 02:54 PM

Default RE: 7mm-08 for a new reloader

Keylargo,

We need to be aware of the limits that have been established by S.A.A.M.I.. Various manuals have spent a good deal of money on research to give us loads that meet the S.A.A.M.I. specs. Now if we were all going to load for exactly the same barrel that the editors used, then the book load should never be violated. However, if the factory used a 26" test barrel in a universal reciever then we may stray a little. I doubt if my 22" Rem barrelhasanywhere near as tight a chamber or barrel as Sierra did in working up loads for a .308 Winchester. As a result, my test loads were heavier than the book. However, they started in the middle of the book and increased in half grain increments to a point about 2 grains over book. Each load was carefully examined, measured and velocity checked as they were fired. If pressure signs were hit, it was time to stopand back up. That's one of the main reasons I have a bullet puller on my bench. It's also the reason it gets so much use. The .30-06 has always been loaded light by the factories to keep them safe for the old guns that are chambered for the '06. If your loading for a moderm rifle in the '06, IMHO, there is not ane reason the '06 can't be loaded to the same pressure levels as it;s offsprings. The .270 Win, .280 Rem. Using the correct powder, 3000 fps is attainable with the 150 grain bullet and 2900 fps is reachable. Some of the newer cartridges are loaded with powders that we do not have access to and it is difficult to reach the same velocities the factory ammo give. The .308 Win is one of these cartridges.

To answer your question, some loads should not be increased. It is ok to increase the loads of some cartridges, but you have to know which and why.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you get 2700-2800 from the 140 grain bullet in the 7MM-08, you have a leathal load. Most factory loads that I have chronographed run around 2750.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:11 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: keylargo

I am considering getting into reloading for my 7mm-08. I know nothing about it,but because my father-in-law has the set up I am considering it.
I currently am shooting Hornady light magnums 139 grain SST's at a published velocity of 3000 fps.
I have done a little looking at varget powder and it seems to get close. Does anyone here load for the 7mm-08? I would appreciate any information on what I can hope to accomplish. I would also like to know if I will get any real financial savings. My ammo is running about $32.00 a box retail.

Thanks
I bet ya 100 dollar bill, you ain't seein 3000fps with that load.

Its close to impossible to get over 2900fps with 7mm08 and 140gr bullet. And even more impossible to do it accuratly.

My poor chronograph has put sour pusses on dozensof faces from archery shooters to rifle. Light magnums are about the biggest con going. I fell into it. It rare that you can get them to shoot well also. Aint' nofree lunch in the world. Hornady doesn't have any more magic than any other reloader.

As far as the question of going over Max load in manuals. Its usually not advisable and depends only on the rifle and pressure signs. I have rifles that show pressure signs before getting to max loads. And I have rifles that show pressure signs 5% over max. A manual is only a guide showing the success of one guy with one load and one gun. It gives you a place to start. If you don't have alot of experience reloading, I never suggest ever going up to even max load never mind going over.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, it's sure an eye opener after getting a chrono to test loads...
Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 AM
bigcountry

You know, the reality of rifle loads never bothered me much. So they are little slower. But what upsets people the most, is the archers. For some reason, they get so worked up over 30fps.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailer

The reloading books is just a guide line. I have had some loads for my 7 mm-08 be lower in velocity then what was printed in the books and some very close like the Hornady SST. The real test is to reload and check with the chronograph...
The real test is to start at the bottom and work up. Check each step up for signs of excessive pressure (flat primers being the first big red flag). You can load up bit by bit until you hit signs of excess pressure. At that point, back off. Depends on the gun really.

I think that the 7-08 is a PERFECT caliber for the reloader. There are only two offerings (one a 120 and one a 150) other than the 140grain bullets in factory loads (note: I am counting those 139's as 140 grainers).

I load Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets in both 140 and 120gr varieties. I haven't gotten to load up to max yet, just because its the middle of the hunting season and the 43gr of Win 760 with the 140grs are shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Why mess with success? I'll get to play with it in February.

I have had excellent luck with Win 760, Varget, and IMR 4064.

With regards to reloading being cheaper, if you have access to all of that equipment, yes, it will produce some savings. But more importantly, you can load a MUCH greater variety of bullets than are offered from the factory. That you really can't put a price tag on.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

BC does this mean my goal of getting 3300 from the 160 accubonds is out of the question?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doe Dumper---Seriously--You never tried 56 gr. of 4350 in that?? I just don't understand------