Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Carbide Die ? No Resistance >

Carbide Die ? No Resistance

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Carbide Die ? No Resistance

Old 11-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Carbide Die ? No Resistance

Hello All,

I'm using a Lee neck sizer die for the first time and when I run it through the press there is zero resistance. Is this how it is supposed to feel?

It doesn't feel like it's doing anything other than poping out the primer.

I need advice soon.

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Carbide Die ? No Resistance

Also do you seat a carbide die the same way you seat a FL die?

I seated it by turning the die down onto the shell holder and then giving it one quarter turn extra to provide a cam type action.

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-19-2006, 03:46 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Carbide Die ? No Resistance

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Also do you seat a carbide die the same way you seat a FL die?

I seated it by turning the die down onto the shell holder and then giving it one quarter turn extra to provide a cam type action.

Thanks

Tom
First off Tom, most carbide FL Dies, you don't want to cam over. I believe there is one mfg who suggest it. But most like RCBS recommends actually touching the shell holder and backing off. Reason is, carbide bunch more harder and can shatter. Only the insert is usually carbide. But regular steel FL dies are steel and have some give. I assume this is for pistol?

Second if you have a Lee neck die, I assume you mean lee collet die that only sizes the neck for bottle neck? If so, yep, you won't feel much resistence, all you will feel is a little tug of the neck sized against the collet.It requires I think like 25lbs of pullfrom your handle. I rotate the case and do it again.You want to set them up by touching the shell holder, and then screwing in an additional turn. If you by chance are able to cam over, its a bad thing, and you need to turn in another 1/2 turn. Now, I love the concept of the collet, but I had to pull out my collet and insert in a drill and polish off .001-002" to get it grip my bullet correct. You can tell if you seat a bullet and can push it in or pull it out.

Hope it helps.