Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Long COL loading >

Long COL loading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Long COL loading

Old 01-14-2002, 08:09 AM
bigcountry

Default Long COL loading

Let me throw this theory out there. I recently got some good results loading my 300RUM. This time instead of loading 3.64", I stay around 3.597" COL. My results are as follows with CCI Mag Primer, 180g Nosler PT and H1000 Powder.

92g 1.1" group
93g 1.0" group
94g 0.4" group
95g 0.9" group
96g 1.0" group

Now, most all reports I have seen on the net have showed max or a little over max load being the best groups. But I found to be in the middle of the range. Do you thing people got good results a little over max cause they load thier COL 0.05" or so over Max COL and they need more powder to accomidate the space they freed in the case?

Old 01-16-2002, 02:42 PM

Default RE: Long COL loading

Remember that maximum overall length is just that - maximum. There is also a minimum overall length.

My guess is you found the sweet spot for your individual gun. Each gun has one; that special combination of powder, bullet, primer and case. Some guns give up their secrets easily, while others are teasers and make you work real hard to find it. Some guns tease you even further by having multible sweet spots.

Hhhhmmmmmm . . . alot like women, eh?
Old 01-16-2002, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best groups out my rifles are almost always between 95-99% maximum load, never at maximum.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:23 AM

BIGCOUNTRY,
I wish that there were some fixed rules in loading, I wouldn't be so confused all the time. After 50 years of reloading the only thing I know for certain is that there are no fixed rules. Sinclair makes a nice little item they call chamber length gauges. When used, they will assist you to find out exactly how long a rifles chamber actually is. For example, S.A.A.M.I. list maximum case length for a .30-06 is 2,494". The chamber in my new .30-06 is actually 2.517". Now if I bought .30-06 cases and trimmed them to the recommended length of 2.484" I'd have two problems. 1) The bullete would be jumping .033" to the lands if the seating depth was constant. 2) With a case that short I would not have much neck holding the bullet if I wanted to seat the bullet to the lands. I ended up useing .270 Win. cases, necking them to 30 cal. and trimming them to 2.513". Since I'm starting with Sierra boattail bullet and seating them to the lands, I will still have enough neck to securely hold the bullets. Once I get a load that is attempting to shoot the way I want it to, then I'll start to play with seating depth. This is the only way I have found to get the accuracy I want. Every rifle I have ever had always seem to exert its individuality. Sometime I've been lucky and found the right combination qiuckly. Other times it has been a long time coming. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:31 AM
bigcountry

Yea, your right. I found the right combination for my 270 in one day. It was nice feeling. I think from now on I am going to look for custom rifle barrels that the throats are carefully placed not to be excessive. After checking into it, it doesn't seem that more expensive I believe in the end, it might be worth it. Resell might suffer.

Old 01-20-2002, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maximum overal lengths published mean nothing.You need to find the length for your rifle which is limited by your chambering and magazine.My own 300 ultra mag magazine will accomodate lengths up to 3.675" and at that length the bullets are just off the rifling in my gun.I load to 3.660" to allow for small variances in bullets and find great accuracy at this length.(consistant 1/2" groups)My groups remain constant even if I add a grain or reduce the charge by a grain or two.I don't like to see a load that is so sensitive that adding or subtracting one grain can double the group size as changes in temperature usually have the same effect and temperatures are never constant while hunting.How many groups did you fire with each charge?Are these average group sizes based on several groups or was only one group fired for each charge?
Old 01-24-2002, 06:53 AM
Spike

Hey BigCountry,

Somehow this story sounds awfully familiar to me. Hmmmmmmmmm.

BigBob is right -- there are few hard in fast rules when it comes to finding the right load for a rifle. You may well remember, I nearly shot out the barrel on my 300 Win Mag before finding the right load. I hope I have better luck with the new WSM.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

GA, I don't know how this is happening, but I seem to be following your tracks and experiences directly. Could you tell me your next tip you learned after this so I don't have to make the same mistakes. Thanks for all the advise you gave me.