Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
zeiss scope with the .280 >

zeiss scope with the .280

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

zeiss scope with the .280

Old 11-18-2002, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default zeiss scope with the .280

I am going to purchase the .280 and I am going to purchase a Zeiss scope.

The logic is that it sounds like a great scope. The bizarre justification is that my brother has a Leopold and Dad has a Nikon.
So why not be different.

Here are my questions.

1) Where do I want to be and when does the justification drop off?
3-9x40
3.5-10x44
4.5-14x44
6.5-20x50

2) The difference in rectiles?
Z- plex
Mil dot
And there is one (dont know the name) that looks like it has a bar code in the lower right quadrant

3) What is a bullet drop compensator?

4) What is parrallax adjustment?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: zeiss scope with the .280

With a .280, you don't really need anything more than 3.5-10x. The 3-9x is probably perfect.

As far as Zeiss scopes, they are about as good as it gets.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 11-19-2002, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

seattlesetters is correct...I use a 2X-&X on my 7mm Mag. It's plenty! Zeiss scopes are excellent!! But I don't like the humongous ocular elements on European scopes, and I also like to LOCK my focus ring, rather than having to fool with this while hunting!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

any help with the other questions?
Old 11-19-2002, 11:31 AM

s4bill,
Your answers as requested:
- Get the Z-plex recticle, it is what 99% of all hunters use. Put plainly, this is a crosshair that goes from thick on the outside to thin in the middle for precise aiming.
- A bullet drop compensator is basically extra horizontal lines on a scope that is calibrated for a certain caliber. If your shooting the exact caliber and load the scope was calibrated for you need not "hold over" your target's back, you just put the horizontal line on the scope that corresponds to the known distance you are shooting at on your target and shoot.
- A parrallex adjustment is a ring that you turn on the scope to have a perfectly clear target at whatever distance that you are shooting. Most centerfire rifle scopes are parrallex free at 150 yards. In other words, the view is crisp & clear at 150, closer or further than that you may have to adjust the parrallex to clear it up. It's basically like the focus adjustment on a camera. However, at normal hunting distances you shouldn't have to adjust it much if at all.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, parallax refers to the apparent movement of the reticle in relation to the target when your eye moves from one side of the exit pupil to the other. If a scope is parallax free at 150 yards, then if you look at a target through the scope at that distance, you can move your head side to side and the reticle with stay on the exact same spot. At greater or lesser distances, however, when you move your head you will notice that the reticle will move a little in relation to the target, and this is more pronounced with high powder scopes when viewing objects at longer distances. The purpose of an adjustable objective lens is to compensate for the varying distances you may be viewing an object at so the scope will be parallax free at those distances. For typical hunting situations, parallax is of no real concern.

Let me add, that while the primary purpose of an adjustable objective (parallax adjustment) is not focusing the scope, it is true that the scope will be best focused at the same distance it is parallax free.

Edited by - Solitary Man on 11/19/2002 13:20:27
Old 11-21-2002, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Please excuse my ignorance but can see the quality difference in the scope at 3x9-40?

What am I asking is that - that is a pretty common magnification and there are many scopes made in that configuration. Is it "overkill" to spend $399 for this scope versus paying around $100 for a Bushnell or Simmons?

Old 11-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Please excuse my ignorance but can see the quality difference in the scope at 3x9-40?

What am I asking is that - that is a pretty common magnification and there are many scopes made in that configuration. Is it &quot;overkill&quot; to spend $399 for this scope versus paying around $100 for a Bushnell or Simmons?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

It is never overkill to put a quality scope on your hunting rig. The old axiom &quot;buy the best scope you can afford&quot; is probably the best advice anyone has ever come up with.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting