Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Electronic Powder Measure/Scales >

Electronic Powder Measure/Scales

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Electronic Powder Measure/Scales

Old 10-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default Electronic Powder Measure/Scales

Looking to up grade my trusty Lyman #55 Powder Measure and beam scale to one of these newer electronic dispenser/trickler/scales combos. Any experience I might want to consider in my choices? I'm looking at the three Cabela's has available, a Lyman, a Pact and an RCBS. Right now I'm looking mostly at the Lyman product. Thanks for any input on my decision.....

/mike
Old 10-29-2006, 08:37 PM

Default RE: Electronic Powder Measure/Scales

I've had two. The first was a Hornady and it wasn't very good. Now I use an RCBS. It works pretty good and speeds up the process. I'm paranoid and recalibrate it several times during a loading session. I also periodically check it against my old beam scale. No problems yet.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use my RCBS electronic scale anymore. Found repeatability problems. I went back to the beam.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Lyman DPS 1200 here. Very accurate.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Pact digital scale it works very well for me. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:46 PM

I will tell you I was a bit leary of them at first, but after talking to a coworker who has one and loves it I decided to get the Lyman DPS 1200, and of corse I had to check everycharge with the beam scale and found it to be extremley accurate. I have been using it for a little over a year and have never found it to fail on a charge without alerting me. (with the beep) I can't acuse the scale for the failure its usualy when I bump it or drop somthing on the loading bench. I have noticed that it likes certain types of powder better than others, andthe slightest movement of air will affect the accuracy of the scale so the cover/lid does come in handy to take that out of the equasion. Either way it sure beets the never ending turning of the hand trickler.

Shane
Old 10-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

Without getting too lengthy, my RCBS chargemaster has a key mismatch problem. I push a 4 and 5 shows up. Good news though, RCBS told me to send it in and they would send me a new one. I'll take that for prompt customer service. Also, I always check each and every load with a beam scale.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:51 AM

Just a recommendation, if you don't reload, say less than 50 rounds per month, save your money and spend it on something else.

Now with that said:
I have the Lyman 1200 DPS and like it. I have had it for 2 years now and so far so good. As posted earlier it is very sensitive to vibration/movement. So make sure you are not doing anything else besides sitting and loading powder in cases.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:18 AM
bigcountry

I second what everyone is saying. I went thru this stage, where I had to have a digital scale. I tested all I could get my hands on. Never did find one that suited my needs. Some didn't update fast enough to trickle a load, some were erratic and had to be recal'd ever 20 loads.Some would have trouble if dryer or microwave was going. I decided it could be a dangerous situation.

I have played with the lyman setup and find it nice, also same with RCBS and its modular which is nice. If I got one, I would measure each load for a few 100 on a beam, until I could get my confidense up. One accidental throw of 3-5gr and could be trouble.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am like alot of the other guys, I have used them and then went back to the trickler. When I load for accuracy, I am not concerned about speed. When I load for speed Iam not real concerned about exact weight-so I just drop out of a reliable powder measure.

I believe you should spend your money on a benchrest measure, and use powders that flow easily. If your concern is saving time, this would be your best advice. Go to the Sinclair website, they have some nice ones.

However, I use the scale by itself alot. I cast alot of bullets, and weigh them. I have saved alot of time using the electronic scale. For my varmint accuracy(no hurry at all when loading), I weigh my cases empty, and then full of water, the electronic scale comes in mighty handy there also. Tom.

Quick Reply: Electronic Powder Measure/Scales

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.