Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 2 Gr over MAX ?????? >

2 Gr over MAX ??????

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

2 Gr over MAX ??????

Old 09-19-2006, 02:38 AM

Default 2 Gr over MAX ??????

I have been working up some loads for a 7MM-08. Well I made a BOO BOO and loaded and tested loads up to 48 Gr of IMR 4350 without any signs of pressure like flattened primers or split cases and the brass extracts just fine. I was looking in the Nosler book at the 120 G bullets instead of the 140s I was actually using. Nosler 140 GrA-Bonds
I get the best groups with the 48 G load which is by the book 2 Gr over Max, sub 1/2 inch 100 Yd groups ???????
I loaded about 40 rounds for this Year before I cought My mistake.
What do You heavy loaders think, safe or not ????????
This is out of a Rem Mod 7.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 2 Gr over MAX ??????

I looked on Steves pages and he has 48.4 for a 140 gr,so if you aren't getting any pressure signs you are probably ok.Checked speers book and they give 48 grs with a 145 gr bullet
I shoot varget and it is 1 1/2 gr over book,and still under fps of book,have went up to 48 grs to get book speeds,Started getting light extractor mark on case so went back down to 46.5 grs with 120 gr bullet.
Had some of the 48 grs left so going to try them in colder weather.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you’re not getting any signs of pressure then go for it. I’ve loaded over max for on of my rifles and haven’t had any problems, all depends on the rifle and what it can take. The reloading books are just a guide line...
Old 09-19-2006, 07:06 AM
bigcountry

I shoot near there.

with a powder like 4350 in 7mm-08 pressure isn't your enemy so much as case capacity. I think even the 46gr load isn't near max pressure. I am shocked your able to get 48gr in there myself. I hear crunching at 46gr.

Now you got lucky with 4350, but don't try that with Varget, or 4064. With those loads you have plenty of space but pressure limited.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I shoot near there.

with a powder like 4350 in 7mm-08 pressure isn't your enemy so much as case capacity. I think even the 46gr load isn't near max pressure. I am shocked your able to get 48gr in there myself. I hear crunching at 46gr.

Now you got lucky with 4350, but don't try that with Varget, or 4064. With those loads you have plenty of space but pressure limited.
\
Yes..... try the 4064 and you will be happy......do not go beyond the book max.....all you would be doing in ruining your throat and bore. Numbers mean something people.......Don't try to make a 7mm-08 a 7mm magnum....all you are going to do is ruin your rifle.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:14 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: 48thguns

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I shoot near there.

\
Yes..... try the 4064 and you will be happy......do not go beyond the book max.....all you would be doing in ruining your throat and bore. Numbers mean something people.......Don't try to make a 7mm-08 a 7mm magnum....all you are going to do is ruin your rifle.
Why, if he shooting good with 4350, why change? With a 7mm08, 48gr of that ain't nothing on a throat. 270win loads would be harder on a throat.I mean I shoot 76gr of7828 with my STW and still bet I can get 1200 rounds thru it. Especially for someone like you who works the envelope.

Old 09-20-2006, 01:37 AM

Thanks Guys for the input.
I will test fire a few more rounds and double triplecheck for presure signs. If I do not notice any problems, I will stick with this load.

This rifle was a winter project last year.
The last thing I want to do blow it up.

It is the laminated stock, blued barel verson of the Rem Mod 7.
I glass bedded the action andfree floated the barel, replaced the trigger with a timney and topped it off with a Leupold 3x9x50.
This is one sweet looking and shooting little rifle.
I built it for My Son but I may need to reconsider !!!
Thanks again Guys !!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 AM

Still Hunter,

First, how did you get that much IMR 43350 into a 7mm-08 case? To say that this is a safe load is impossible to do without micing a fired case. The visual signs we have gotten used to looking for are not very good indications of pressure. I think the model 7 rifle has a 20 inch barrel, what length barrel is listed in the Nosler manual you used as your load source? Should the rifle have a large chamber or a max spec diameter bore, the load might be a safe load in your rifle and hot in someone elses rifle, so don't share your ammo with others. Attempt to get your load conographed. If your velocities are reasonable, then the loads should be as well. My 48th edition of the Lyman loading Manual has 48.0 grains listed as the max load for the 139 grain bullet. So it looks as if your not that far off base.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

Lee manual shows 46.0 grains of IMR 4350 starting and max loads for a 139 grain bullet. Both loads compressed. 2750 fps.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

48 gr. IMR4350 and 139 gr. Hornadys has been my deer load for two years now. I shoot it in my 700 CDL. It gives great accuracy and shows no signs of excessive pressure in MY gun. Again, MY gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.