Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloading Manuals >

Reloading Manuals

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Manuals

Old 09-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading Manuals

What are the best reloading manuals?

I just figured out that the Lyman reloading manual that came with my kit isn't very good. It doesn't provide data for maximum case length and trim to lengths, it doesn't give data on accuracy loads and things like that.

I'm reloading for .308, 300 WM, and 7.5x55 Swiss and maybe later for 223 Rem.

If I were looking to buy a new manual which should I choose?

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Reloading Manuals

I like Sierra and they also have downloadable programs for your puter and also offer you technical help on e-mails or over the phone.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

it doesn't give data on accuracy loads
Accuracy loads in manuals arepretty muchmeaningless anyways andCOL is not much better.The so called accuracy load is simply the load that was the most accurate in the test rifle and it should not be expected to be the most accurate in any other rifle.In some cases,it has been one of the least accurate loads in rifles that I have loaded for.As far as COL is concerned,there are great variations in throat lengths so you really need to determine the COL for your particular rifle.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

It doesn't provide data for maximum case length and trim to lengths, it doesn't give data on accuracy loads and things like that.
Maximum case lengths and trim to lengths can vary from rifle to rifle depending on what you want to do with it. If you want to talor the load to your gun, then finding out chamber depth is a must. Setting your trim length back from that.

If you want to go by specifications that will allow the cartridge to be fired in any gun, try the Lee book.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A very good beginners manual is "Speer Reloading Manual". Good luck.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maximum case lengths and trim to lengths can vary from rifle to rifle depending on what you want to do with it.
The overall cartridge length varies from gun to gun,but the maximum case lengthand trim to lengths are standardized.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:16 AM
bigcountry

What are the best reloading manuals?

I just figured out that the Lyman reloading manual that came with my kit isn't very good. It doesn't provide data for maximum case length and trim to lengths, it doesn't give data on accuracy loads and things like that.

I'm reloading for .308, 300 WM, and 7.5x55 Swiss and maybe later for 223 Rem.

If I were looking to buy a new manual which should I choose?

Thanks

Tom
Books all reloaders should get in thier reloading life. And in the order of what I like.

1. Nosler
2. Sierra
3. Barnes (must have if ever loading high pressure bullets)
4. Lymans (good various bullets, and lots of good info on reloading in general, data is however all over the place)
5. Speer
6. Hornady (just cause I am still mad at em)

The nosler has been the most helpful. If you ever load a solid shank bullet like TBBC, Failsafe, Barnes of course, the barnes is a good book to start from. Its good for other high pressure bullets too like scirrocos. Unless you are a die hard swift fan, I wouldn't spend the money on thier manual.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: #40Fan

Maximum case lengths and trim to lengths can vary from rifle to rifle depending on what you want to do with it. If you want to talor the load to your gun, then finding out chamber depth is a must. Setting your trim length back from that.
I tried to measure the oal of my rifle and found that my magazine severely limited the length that I could make the cartridge so would finding the chamber depth really help me?

I think I'm going to go with the Nosler book. I shoot Nosler bullets anyway.

Thanks

Tom
Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: #40Fan

I tried to measure the oal of my rifle and found that my magazine severely limited the length that I could make the cartridge so would finding the chamber depth really help me?

I think I'm going to go with the Nosler book. I shoot Nosler bullets anyway.

Thanks

Tom
First you guys are talking about two different things. Trim lengths are a SAAMI standard. Don't matter which rifle or whatever. And yes Lymans has this in there, they just put it as a picture. Most of us trim .02" from max. Does not vary as 40 said.

Max OAL is different, and sometimes it is needed. For example I have a 7mm08 with a very short chamber. I could never load any bullet to 2.8" even though the magizine can. Furthest I can load is 2.74 touching the lands. Hodgdon calls out for 2.8", in this case it is wise to know the dimentions of your chamber. But most times, I can't reach my rifling if I wanted to. And its nice to know the jump you do have. Just for safety sake.

You can use a split case technique to find this. Stoney point is nice but not absolutely needed.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

the speer and lee books are my absolute favorites

Quick Reply: Reloading Manuals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.