Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Starline brass

Old 08-31-2006, 08:30 AM
bigcountry

Default Starline brass

Does anyone find seating primers in starline brass to be tougher than others? I got some 460 and 44mag brass from them and seating the primers using my RCBS handtool was very stiff on 1 of 4 or so. Overall all were tighter than I am used too.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Starline brass

Did you ream and clean first. I always do that and clean flash holes, very important, Tom.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought some "NEW" never fired starline 45acp brass for my match loads and found this to be true too with my lee priming hand tool. its not so hard that you darn near break your equipment seating primers but its is deffinatelly alot stiffer then say winchester or federal brass where the primer just seem to pop right in and sometimes you feel you should check to see if you actually seated a primer or not. with the starline brass you know when you are seating a primer.

BC what brand of primers are you using?? federal and magtech primers go in without tomuch resistance. winchesters seem to have the most resistance. but surprisingly CCI primers go in easier then the winchesters. I dont worry tomuch about I actually like having the piece of mind that primers arent gonna back out on ya.

PS did you ever get you a Lee powder throw?? how did it work out for ya?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Does anyone find seating primers in starline brass to be tougher than others? I got some 460 and 44mag brass from them and seating the primers using my RCBS handtool was very stiff on 1 of 4 or so. Overall all were tighter than I am used too.
The only Starline cases I've used are .454 Casull, and they have pockets for small rifle primers. I have not noticed anything unusual about priming them.....
Old 09-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only ones I have used were already fired one or more times. Didn't notice that they were stiffer but never tried new ones yet. I have heard nothing but good reports on their brass overall.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 PM
bigcountry

I talked to a starline tech. He said the reason its so stiff to seat is they have much tighter tolerances and should be different on 2nd fire. So I have to given them the benefit of the doubt. Nope. I don't ream anymore. Another tedious task I felt to not contribute anything so I dropped it. Might have helped here.

I have to admit. They are all 1.79" +/-.003 as guranteed case length. Never seen such clean square case mouths. Very impressive.