Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 ballistic silver tip question. >

ballistic silver tip question.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

ballistic silver tip question.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default ballistic silver tip question.

I am going to reload for my new 270 wsm, I have beenreloading formy 270 win for over 20 years, I lovethe accuracy and the expansion of the 130gr bullet on whitetails.I understand by reading some of the posts here thatthe ballistic silver tip has a tendency to break up on impact at close rangewhen pushed athigh velocity. I have never had any problem with the 270 win, and I use siarra 130gr boat tails, those reloads I had at 3000fps. Here is my question. can I reload my 270wsm useing the Ballistic silver tips at a velocity that will work at ranges from 100 to 300 yards and still hold together at the shorter range. and if so, What is the maximum velocity I dare push it ? Thanks in advance, Stevie
Old 07-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ballistic silver tip question.

Manf. bullets with the same expansion rates at various ranges and velocities is pretty much impossible. But I would think that the silvertip bullets will do well at 3000 fps. That is about what I push my Nosler ballistic tips at out of my 270 win. And I would think that the silvertip bullets are probably a bit more resistant to expansion than the noslers.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

And I would think that the silvertip bullets are probably a bit more resistant to expansion than the noslers.
The ballistic silvertips are the nosler ballistic tip,with a silver tip and a coating.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:33 AM
Spike

The Nosler Ballistic Tip is designed to expand from 1600 fps up to 3000 fps impact velocity. You could also consider the 140 gr Nosler Accubond.

JD338
Old 08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

last year i shot an antelople at 250 yrds with my 7mm wsm and 140 gr. ballistic silver tips. the bullet came out through the opposite shoulder and only left a quarter sized hole. Later on that year with the same setup i shot a whitetail at 50 yrds through the chest. when i skinned it out the shoulder was blown up so bad it was just hanging be very little tissue.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000
And I would think that the silvertip bullets are probably a bit more resistant to expansion than the noslers.
I think Nosler BT's and CT Ballistic Silvertips are essentially the same bullet, with a different color for the plastic points......
Old 08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

You know I have never had an issue. But I reload for my buddy,with bullistic tips and gamekings from a 270win only going about 2900fps. And he is complaining now swearinghe is having trouble finding deer after shot saying they run 150-200yards. He's a field hunter,may have something to do with it. I am a thick woods hunter. So my deer don't seem to go over 30yards. So I question him and he said the internal organs are mush but very small exit. It sounds like its working good to me.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 PM

I used the same setup in .270 (now .270 WSM) on white tail, never had a problem, never had one run off on me. They will do some major damage if you hit heavy bone at close range. If you like the bullet but are worried about over expansion use the bonded noslers, I think they made them for heavy skinned game and for those who believe the scuttlebutt about the BST "blowing up" or not penetrating.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 PM

I have some great shooting loads with Ballistic Tips and Ballistic Silver Tips. I've shot a lot of deer and pigs with them and have spent a lot of time trailing afterwards. I've never recovered a Ballistic Tip. They always seem to zing right through without leaving much damage behind. I pretty much stick to Sierra Pro Hunters for hunting now.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 PM

If you want a polymer tipped bullet go for the accubonds--not so much of an explosive expansion at closerange, and still they've got what it takes for those 300-500yd shots. If you're only shooting inside 300yds then I wouldn't waste my money on such an expensive bullet for deer.

Quick Reply: ballistic silver tip question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.