Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 How many have check wieght? >

How many have check wieght?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How many have check wieght?

Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
bigcountry

Default How many have check wieght?

I bought a RCBS set 3 years ago. I use em from time to time. especially after my scales dropping or something. I know they are expensive, but for me, they take the guess work out of is my scale right. They increment from .5gr up to like 100gr.

I also found some calibrated bar stock for checking caliber calibrations. I bought some check calibers and picked the ones that were right on, and took the others back.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many have check wieght?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I bought a RCBS set 3 years ago. I use em from time to time. especially after my scales dropping or something. I know they are expensive, but for me, they take the guess work out of is my scale right. They increment from .5gr up to like 100gr.

I also found some calibrated bar stock for checking caliber calibrations. I bought some check calibers and picked the ones that were right on, and took the others back.
I have scads of them. They're called BULLETS, and I have them in weights from 25 up to 597.5 grains..............
Old 07-14-2006, 07:47 AM
bigcountry

That works eld. As long as some independent entity measured them for you, so you know what your reading is correct.

What I am talking about is not bullets. But thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really should invest in some good check weights I just dont want to spend alot and wind up with some inaccurate made in china weights if you ever bought anything that was supposed to be precision that was made in china you know what im talking about. Id imagine the rcbs set is pretty good what does it cost?

what I have been doing to test the accuracy of my scale, I have another scale that I hardly use it spends more time in its original container and sits on my shelf. but I weigh a few bullets a sierra 55 grain blitzking a 165 grain gameking and a 300 grain hornady XTP. I weigh them on the scales and if they both read the same then Im assuming they are on.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:59 AM

I picked up some as part of a present for my father a while back.
He uses them to double check his scales prior to whenever he is starting a run of ammo for a match or if he has dropped or banged around equip by accident. I actually got them fairly cheaply since I picked them up at a place that sell supplies for lab equipment near one of the nearby colleges. It was a old time calibration set for grains andgrams. Still gauranted for accuracy just not with a fancy/large company name on them. I also have a scale and weights myself that I got via a company that sells supplies for jewelry making and fine metals. Thatone came with grain, gram and troy ounce weights, all certified to .001+/-
Old 07-16-2006, 11:09 AM
bigcountry

Its definately not a "needed" piece or equipment but takes second guessing your equipment away. You only have to do it once or when you move or bang around your equipment.

Another toy I figure. I got em a few years ago when I was on a quest for the very good digital scale. I tried all the brands and didn't find any of them to suit my needs. I brought home a ohaus counting scale from work that is very accurate, but only works in grams and its a counting scale which is not needed.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:52 PM

My Pact came with calibration/checkweights.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:48 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Charley

My Pact came with calibration/checkweights.
Uh yea, so do all digitals with transduces used to measure weight.

I am talking about independent set mainly used for balance beams but can be used on your digtal also. Usually come with wieghts from .5grains to 100gr or more.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:58 PM
DM

I never bought a set of gen-u-ine weights...

I just weighed some bullets large and small...and then labeled the packages they are in. If you feel your scale has been damaged, just weight them again and compare the new weights to the weights you've already recorded on the packages... Really all your needing is to see if the scale has changed accuracy...

I've always had more than one scale around, but if you have a buddy that reloads, you can weigh your bullets on his scale too, and then compare thereadingsto yours...

Drilling Man
Old 07-17-2006, 05:40 AM
bigcountry

Absolutely DM. I got lucky when my company had this huge lay off in NJ and CA, and they basically cleared out the building in a few days, and the metal shop got basically put in a dumpster, so I was able to get several torque wrenchs,torque screwdrivers,starrett calibers, mics, starrett calibration wieghts, and a set of what I think is calibrated block sets to check your mics and calibers. It was a all you can carry deal back from CA. You would have thought it was the LA riots but with Vice Presidents and directors doing the looting. One VP actually brought back a CNC machine. I figured that was crossing the line a little in corporate ethics.

Quick Reply: How many have check wieght?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.