Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Crimping ?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Crimping ?

If a bullet was once crimped does it have to be crimped each time in the future?

Does a full lenght die set include a crimper?

Does crimping decrease the life of a case?

When should a cartridge be crimped?

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crimping ?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

What has been said is true for rifles,I crip my 44mag pistols because if you dont the bullet will crawl out of the case from recoil also with a heavy recoil gun keeping the bullet in the same place on all loads is as important as case triming. Lee
Old 07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

lemoyne's feelings are the same as mine. The only bullets I crimp are for my .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and my .45 Colt. I don't crimp any rifle loads.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:07 PM
bigcountry

You can play around with it later I suggest. I know I used to crimp a-frame bullets. It performed great with a crimp. I also experiemented with brass that was shot alot and had hardened necks, and it helped accuracy. But for the most part these days, playing aside, I don't crimp rifle except straightwalled like 45-70.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have been using the Lee factory crimp dies in my .270, 06, .223, and 300WM. IMO it does improve accuracy. I shot several groups withthe same load crimped and uncrimped and did notice an accuracy difference. And to be fair, I cleaned the bore after each group to ensure fouling would not be a variable. As for revolver and other straight walled cases (like the .45-70) I roll crimp the bullet in place. The only ammo I don't crimp are the auto pistol (.40 S&W, .380, .45 ACP)
Old 07-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never crimp anything I don't have to. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot several groups withthe same load crimped and uncrimped and did notice an accuracy difference.
Yet I don't know of any benchrest shooters that crimp their loads.And benchrest shooters will do whatever makes for the most accurate load.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I shot several groups withthe same load crimped and uncrimped and did notice an accuracy difference.
Yet I don't know of any benchrest shooters that crimp their loads.And benchrest shooters will do whatever makes for the most accurate load.
True, but, there is a HUGE difference between a benchrest rifle and the common everyday hunting rifle! Comparing what makes a high dollar benchrest rifle shoot its best to a off the shelf hunting rifle is apples to oranges, sloppy this, sloppy that, etc.
For one thing the benchrest shooter can seat his bullets out to the lands to give him the constant pressure he is looking for. Many hunting rifles do not allow enough room in the mag to accomplish this. Using the Lee Factory Crimp Die can and does help with a more iniform pressure curve and less velocity variation which can and does help accuracy.
I have a Lee Factory Crimp Die for all of my calibers. It improves accuracy in most and little of no change in a couple, none however have lost accuracy by crimping with the LFCD.
Here is some interesting reading on crimping with the LFCD.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

Quick Reply: Crimping ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.