Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Two Shell Prep Questions >

Two Shell Prep Questions

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Two Shell Prep Questions

Old 07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Two Shell Prep Questions

Hey guys,

Two question for you:

1) I was cleaning the necks of the cases like the book says, by using the copper brush with small handle. I believe that the copper brush I used was the right one since it only game me three of them and this is the closest to 30cal and looks to be 30 cal. By the end of doing this to 80 cases the brush was folded on some sides and a lot of the bristles had fallen on my shirt and on the ground. Is this normal? Do I need a new one or just keep going till it is about bare?

2) One of the cases, 300WM, has a small tear near the neck where the crimp has essentially lifted off the shell. Am I able to put this shell in the press and resize it?

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Two Shell Prep Questions

I have never used a brass/copper brush to clean case mouths; I use a RCBS nylon brush. Get some nylon brushes from RCBS to clean case mouths it may save you money on brass/copper brushes.

I would toss the case.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Hey guys,

Two question for you:

1) I was cleaning the necks of the cases like the book says, by using the copper brush with small handle. I believe that the copper brush I used was the right one since it only game me three of them and this is the closest to 30cal and looks to be 30 cal. By the end of doing this to 80 cases the brush was folded on some sides and a lot of the bristles had fallen on my shirt and on the ground. Is this normal? Do I need a new one or just keep going till it is about bare?

2) One of the cases, 300WM, has a small tear near the neck where the crimp has essentially lifted off the shell. Am I able to put this shell in the press and resize it?

Thanks

Tom
jeez!! you must have been scrubbing the holy living heck out of those case necks to do that. I use the rcbs nylon brushes too like handloader1 put a little lube on the brush push it in and pull it out and yer done. no need to go to town scrubbin out the necks. and the torn case toss it, you can resize it and use it but it probably wont have consistant neck tension compared to your other cases and it will likely split on the next firing. IMO it would just be a waste of a bullet, powder and primer if you used it.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I'll get those today.

Tom
Old 07-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

To tell you the truth, about all I ever do is lube the inside of the neck with a Q-tip and lube, wipe it out with a dry Q-tip after resizing. Don't use too much lube, either. As far as the shell issue goes, don't fool around with damaged cases. Toss it.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gee, I must have been loading my ammo wrong for the past 50 years, as, with a few exceptions, never bothered to brush out the mouths of anycases fired with a smokeless powder load! Maybe my ammo would have been more accurate if I'd done so?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Eldeguello,

Are you saying that brushing out the necks is a waste of time?

Tom
Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 AM
bigcountry

I like brush out my cases. But I do it to lube the inside. So the expander ball when resizing can get out easier. If you use collet die, you won't have to this. But a RCBS or redding neck sizer you will

Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

BC,

What type of brush do you use to lube the inside of the case? Nylon brush?

Tom
Old 07-12-2006, 12:14 PM
bigcountry

Yep, nylon. I used RCBS case lube for years. Lubin also helps with bullet insertion making it straight.

Quick Reply: Two Shell Prep Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.