Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Which bullet for .243Win? >

Which bullet for .243Win?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which bullet for .243Win?

Old 03-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default Which bullet for .243Win?

Would like to hear comparisons of the following bullets for .243 Win:
Hornady 100gr. Interlock, Hornady 95gr. SST,and Sierra 100gr. Gameking.
What would you recommend for deer & hogs?

Old 03-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which bullet for .243Win?

I have experience with 2 out of the 3 bullets you mentioned.

The 95gr Hornady SST shoots very well on paper, but the experience I have had in the field with it are definately not good. I loaded them for my buddy for deer huntin at my place, and they all required multiple follow-up shots to bring down the deer. One of them exploded when it hit the shoulder blade, none seemed to hold together upon dressing out the deer. The only deer that it had a very terminal effect on was a doe that he head shot. I have personally never shot a deer with them myself, but from what I have seen, I would not reccomend a 95gr SST to anyone. Whereas, I have had nothing but great luck out of my 7mm with 139gr SSTs on deer.

The 100gr Hornady Interbond has received praise from many outdoor writers at the time of its unveiling, and its a controlled expansion round. This would be a good deer/hog load from what I've read.

The Sierra 100gr Gameking I used myself out of my 243 this year, and it put deer down in 1 shot (double lung/heart shots), I never did manage to anchor a deer in its tracks with this load. They all ran 20-75 yards, left a tremendous bloodtrail, and did exit about nickle size.

My favorite load for deer consists of Combined Technology 95gr BTs, I load these to max load with RL22, and have had very goodluck with these loads. I have yet to have a deer take more than 1 or 2 steps after being hit with this load.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 AM

My personal favorite didn't make your list. I've been loading the Sierra 85 gr HP Gameking for about 25 years. Have taken many, many deer. All but one with one shot drop where they are stops. The one that didn't, dressed out at 225 lbs and went about 10 yards. VERY effective and accurate, at least out of my rifle.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Highpower

My personal favorite didn't make your list. I've been loading the Sierra 85 gr HP Gameking for about 25 years. Have taken many, many deer. All but one with one shot drop where they are stops.
My favorite also for deer...
Old 03-21-2006, 08:12 AM

I don't reload, but I used the 85gr HP Gameking this year in the Federal loading. Took one doe with it, she dropped less than 10yds from point of impact. Only a couple drops of blood, even though it was a passthrough and nicked a rib on the way through. Liquified the heart and put nice holes through both lungs. I'll be hunting in an area that doesn't allow rifles next year, but I wouldn't hesitate to use that bullet combination again.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Add my name to the list of those favoring the 85 gr. HPBT Sierra. Among the bullets you listed, though; the Hornady Interlock is probably the toughest of the lot. Another good bullet is the 100 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter (flat base). It is a tougher bullet than the Gameking. I have used it on elk with good results (rib shots only).
Old 03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. I have used the 85gr.Sierra BTHP on deer with great results, but is it sufficient for hogs? I thought I'd need a sturdier bullet in the 100gr. range, i.e. the Honnady 100gr. Interlock.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:46 PM

Can't reallyhelp with the hogs as they are not around here and I never had to look any farther than the 85gr Sierra for what I shoot, great terminal ballistics and tack-driver accurate out of my gun..

I guess for hogs get one that hangers together and is as heavy as you can get. Or, maybe you have a great excuse to get a new gun...LOL

Doug
Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used the Hornady, 100gr Sierra and the 85gr BTHP...of the 3 the Hornady would be the hardest...You might also consider the 100gr Partition.
I'm lucky, my .243 shoots both the Federal Premium 85gr BTHP and 100 gr CoreLokt to same poa ant 100 yards, and the Federal Premium 100gr Partition one inch lower...I have gotten into the habit of using the 85gr over fields and the Partition in the woods...

btw...I liked the 100gr Sierra, it put deer down real quick...but seldom got pass throughs on lung shots...I actually found that I got more pass throughs with the 85gr Sierra...go figure...I don't really care for the Partition on shots over 100 yards...because the exit holes are smaller than with the 85gr, and deer seem to run farther before they pile up...

I would say for hogs, go with the 100gr Hornady or the 100gr Partition....If you want only one load, go with the Hornady.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recently bought a 6mm rem and the 85 grain gamekings are exactly what im loading too. If i had a 243 i think i would use them in it aswell. I cant believe how flat these shoot zeroed at 100 yards im still in the kill zone at 200 yards hitting roughly 2 inches low.

Quick Reply: Which bullet for .243Win?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.