Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Bullet runout?????? >

Bullet runout??????

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bullet runout??????

Old 03-16-2006, 08:28 AM
bigcountry

Default Bullet runout??????

Last night, I load up 3 box's of ammo. Did my 7mmSTW first. measured runout, nothing new, 17 out of 20, had .004" or less. Then my 270win. Same deal. Always get 17 out of 20 .004" or less.

But then started loading my 7mm-08. Never had trouble in teh past. but almost all had .007" and some more. I tried a lee shell holder. Setup my seater 3 times. Squared the seater die. Turned 1/3 turn several times before seating. Couldn't figure it out. Only thing I saw I didn't like, was my shell holder in my rockchucker rocked some. And shell wasn't tight. It was a No3 RCBS. I have loaded probably 1000 308's and probalbly 100 7mm-08 in the past without issue. Always get2 or so with little runout. Any other ideas? I set the seater up just like I always have, touch the shell mouth and back up 1 complete turn.

This is new brass. Later I will check runout of the brass alone without powder or bullet. Maybe when I sized, I didn't lube the necks good and knocked them out. Maybe lube the inside necks

Old 03-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bullet runout??????

yes.. lube the inside of your case neck.. before you resize it..
Old 03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have loaded probably 1000 308's and probalbly 100 7mm-08 in the past without issue. Always get2 or so with little runout. Any other ideas? I set the seater up just like I always have, touch the shell mouth and back up 1 complete turn.
buy a new shell holder[:-]J/k sounds like it has to be seating die or sizing issue, neck out of square, or wall thickness problem, try a different batch of brass would be my first idea if possible, take care man

keith
Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

are you absolutly SURE you used the tool you made to square the die to the shell holder? sounds like something is not square.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turn your necks if you haven't already. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:26 AM

bigcountry,

I've never had a shellholder "rock" when it was positioned correctly in the ram. I'd sure correct that problem. There are several reasons that the necks of the 7mm-08 are out of true. If you have a case fired in the rifle, but not yet sized, clean that case and see if the necks are the same thickness around the circumference of the neck. If they are, then the difference will be reflected as runout after the case is sized. If you adjust your die by the method you mention, then it it a miracle if your die is true. Though I've never read it anywhere I can recall, I think the reason the die instructions state that the die should touch the sellholder is to insure that the die is forced into a true vertical while the lockring is tightened and the cases will be in alignment with the bore of the rifle when chambered. If the die I'm adjusting is not going to touch the shellholder the I use a shim to place the die against to force the die into true vertical alignment. If the necks vary in neck tickness, your seated bullets will be out of true. The only solution I know is to replace the brass or start turning the outside of your case necks. While this requires money for equipment, plus time and work, IMHO I think it has a lot to be said for it. I hold runout to .002". I hope that this is of some help.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:19 PM

Did you change anything from previous loads? Like bullets,brass or sizer die? Measure runout at every step and you should figure it out.What bullets are you using?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:35 PM
bigcountry

I got a Number2 shell holder (little smaller) and it doesn't rock any. Also seems to fit the 08's little better. Somebody on another page recommended that. Will let you guys know how it goes. Been out shooting in Ky for the past 4 days. Sorry havn't responded back. The shell holder is new and only been used some. So well see if that works. I used the Lee shell holder before with my 308's.

Mossy, i am using that machinistshim setI showed you from work, that are supposed to be accurate within .0001".

Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Dominant Buck

BC, the chart shows a #2 for .308 in Lee and Lyman

Shell holder cross reference chart
Old 03-21-2006, 08:24 AM
bigcountry

Well time to be wrong again. Had nothing to do with the shell holder. I took out 50 pieces of this new brass that I previously FL sized, trimmed and deburred. I am fairly sure I didn't lube the necks with my usual imperial wax. I just lubed the necks and case with hornady one shot. I usually never do that.

But anyway, the 50 pieces of brass I left over, only 21 had neck runout less than .003". The rest were like .004 to .007".So I put my FL sizer back in and took out the expander ball. I pushed them thru and now zero runout. so put my expander back in, I was able to correct most of em, but 10-12 of em had neck variances thickness of .012" to .017". Fireforming, nor any sizer can correct that. I would turn the necks, but I have begun to think its cheaper to toss em.

Thanks for everyones posts. good lesson for me to remember, lube the inside of the necks with RCBS lube or imperial. I know the hornady one shot stuff said you don't have too, but I don't think its slick enough to let teh expander ball move nicely. I will always use it for outside case body.

Quick Reply: Bullet runout??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.