Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Powder type in manufactured loads >

Powder type in manufactured loads

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Powder type in manufactured loads

Old 03-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Powder type in manufactured loads

Is there a way to determine the powder type and weight of charge in a factory round or is this kept secret by the manufactures.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:42 PM

Default RE: Powder type in manufactured loads

They are often times powders that are not "canister" types that are available to the reloader. Also, the blend may not be the same from lot to lot of ammunition. They buy in bulk, so they use what they get.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

The weight is easy, just pull a bullet and weigh it; powder type on the other hand, is as just been pointed out; Factory ammo manufacturers use a proprietary burn rate, which will differ from the stuff you buy in the gun shop or reloader mags...
Old 03-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

I have Lyman's 47th edition reloading book and it states if one would like to duplicate a factory load. I'll expriement with that route.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:25 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

Is there a way to determine the powder type and weight of charge in a factory round or is this kept secret by the manufactures.

Thanks.
From my phone calls and probing and talking to an engineer here and there at a few ammo plants over the years, I have found out generally they use the exact same thing we have available.

Only a few of the new calibers and weatherby rounds are really blended.

You could definately narrow down the powder with alot of time or patience, and sometimes they will tell you if you get a hold of the right guy. You could tear apart a few, wieght it, chrono it, measure its density, and come close. IMR has always been a big distributor for Remington.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was watching Guns and Ammo TV the other night on the Outdoor Channel and they had a segment with a tour of the Federal ammo manuf. plant. One of the engineers/technicians who was developing a new load stated that the powder he was using was some sort of blended variety not available to the general public. That sort of confirmed what I had previously heard.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:32 PM
bigcountry

Yea, I talked to a few engineers at the fed plant after calling a few times asking advise. He never would tell me the powder for the STW 160gr accubond they have. But since then I found a nice load that meets or exceeds its accuracy.

I know for the 204ruger, noone is able to meet the velocities.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had some older remington express pheasant loads they were high brass 3 3/4 dram with a 1 1/4 oz #6 shot, I pulled them apart and visually speaking the powder was none other then Alliant blue dot I weighed the charges and compared them to some alliant shotshell load data I have this stuff could have very well been blue dot. I talked to a rep from remington at this years SHOT show and asked him if remington had ever used Blue dot powder in there pheasant loads, he stated that back in the late 80's it was very possible that they used Blue dot and various other alliant powders. I'm thinking ammo manufacturers use whatever they can get cheap.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Fork Horn

Good info guys, thanks.

[/align]
Old 03-10-2006, 06:19 AM

Propellants sold to the shooting public is termed "canister grade" powder. It is produced and often blended to be as consistent as possible from lot to lot. This is to make sure idiots who start at the top end loads keep their eyes and fingers. There will always be some varience, but not much. 42 grains of IMR 4895 will give similar pressure and velocity.

Manufacturers use what are termed "non canister" powders. These do vary from lot to lot. the manufacturere want a certain pressure and velocity, but doesn't care whether he needs 42 grains or 46 grains. He has the equipment to make sure he gets the pressure and velocity from a given charge of powder.

In a nutshell, manufacturers measure pressure and velocity, handloaders measure powder charges.

For an example, look at the websites of folks who sell surplus, non-canister powders. Sometimes you will see notes that might say, "Slow lot of XXX powder. Use Data for YYY powder. Right next to it will be listed XXX powder of a normal lot, and the data will be different.

Quick Reply: Powder type in manufactured loads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.