Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 The frustrations of reloading >

The frustrations of reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

The frustrations of reloading

Old 03-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The frustrations of reloading

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Ruger???...... Dang ol' rugers...... even though I live 2 seconds from the Arizona ruger plant I just cant push myself to buy a ruger bolt action.

well, HDW Ill ship it to ya, and you can "run her over" I thank everyone for thier input but I have one question. Why is it that I have shot this gun for 2 years prior to reloading for it and it never gave me a problem with factory stuff? I am thinking about buying a box of factories and seeing how it does once again. Would it be a sin as a reloader if I had one gun that I didnt reload for the sad part is, I bought this gun for groundhogs, fox, coyotes and within a month or two it will be time for the little vermin to be stickin their heads up outta thier holes and I cant get a load to work! [:@]
Old 03-02-2006, 02:58 PM
bigcountry

Mossy, I have faced some issues like this and there was some underlying things causing it. What I found on 300RUM #1, was I got such better performance with factory rounds. I started loading deeper to match it and all the sudden I exceeding performance. Sometimes loading deeper can help things. Not sure if you tried that.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossy I dont think its a sin, some of the new high dollar stuff is very close in performance to some reloads and face it for hunting we get away with a gun that shoots "ok". I mainly use factory rounds in my 223. I find it hard to beat the Black Hills ammo for it. I think you have plenty of good advice to help you threw this but to make you feel a little better just remember FL St just beat Duke, I know that doesnt help with your Ruger but should curve your frustrations. Good Luck

How about trying brass instead of nickel casings. Just a thought if havent tried that already. I know there isnt much difference but in my 222 I went from brass to nickel and the same exact load didnt shoot the same.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Mossy, I have faced some issues like this and there was some underlying things causing it. What I found on 300RUM #1, was I got such better performance with factory rounds. I started loading deeper to match it and all the sudden I exceeding performance. Sometimes loading deeper can help things. Not sure if you tried that.
I will try that, cant go too deep with those lil 85 gr er's
Old 03-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

just remember FL St just beat Duke, I know that doesnt help with your Ruger but should curve your frustrations. Good Luck
yeah, that does help!!! hey I got an idea.....how about some of you local boys come on over to my house this weekend and help me case prep all 120 casings? I thought my elbow was gonna fall off last time I trimmed all 120 [X(]......beers on me!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Better warn them they will be drink Natty Lites. Otherwise, you may have some unhappy preppers.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've had excellent performance from my Ruger No. 1V .25/'06 using 117-grain Sierra and 115-grain Nosler partition bullets in it with N205, Norma MRP, and lately RE 22 and Fed. 210 primers. Very hot, top-end loads too!
Old 03-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

I've had excellent performance from my Ruger No. 1V .25/'06 using 117-grain Sierra and 115-grain Nosler partition bullets in it with N205, Norma MRP, and lately RE 22 and Fed. 210 primers. Very hot, top-end loads too!
ooooo I aint tried RE 22 yet, I bet that would make a hot little load. Imight try that with the Fed primers, and my 110 accubonds [:-]
Old 03-04-2006, 05:02 PM

mossy33oak,

The loads that come easy are nice, but it's the other ones that will teach you the most. Many years ago I bought a then new Ruger M=77 in the 7mm Rem Mag. It is still the only rifle I've ever had that I couldn't get to shoot under MOA. After six months I got rid of it. The last time I was in Prescott I stopped in at one of the local gun stores. The owner of the shop didn't have any kind words for Rugers. He made one comment while we were talking about lousy accuracy in Rugers. He stated that Ruger paid the maker of their barrels $4.00 each. He didn't think one had much hope for accuracy from a $4.00 barrel. I have heard of one trick that might help improve accuracy. Enlarge the hole for the front stock screw so the screw isn't touching the stock. I don't know about Rugers, but I've enlarged stockscrew holes for years and have had good results. You don't have to go wild on it, just large enough so the screw doesn't touch the wood.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM

Mossy,

If you can go and buy a box of factory ballistic silvertips and shoot 1 - 1.25 all day long I would do two things right off the bat and not change them through all of your testing until you find something that looks promising.

Number 1: The bullet obviously works in your gun. Stay there for now.
Number 2: Factory seating depth obviously works in your gun. Stay there for now.

Number 3: Although Ruger guns aren't that high on the reputation scale for being accurate or easy to work with, factory ammo has proven that it is capable of shooting groups that are acceptable to you.

As far as powders go, it might be a crap shoot, but try and figure out the mid-range powders for what you are trying to do. Work with those first.

Which powders do you have on hand to try?

Maybe you have already been through all this mumbo jumbo but to me this is part of the fun of handloading. When you are done you will know more about handloading and this rifle and the things you learn will apply to other rifles and loads down the road. Don't get discouraged. It will come together for you one day and all the frustration and pain will be forgotten.

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: The frustrations of reloading

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.