Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 130 xlc 300ultra >

130 xlc 300ultra

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

130 xlc 300ultra

Old 01-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default 130 xlc 300ultra

I seen a load for the 130 xlc in the 300rum how do you think it would perform. wonder how it would work on whitetails I bet it would be a little to destructive going that fast
Old 01-23-2006, 11:28 AM

Default RE: 130 xlc 300ultra

It should work well from a terminal performance standpoint. A few years ago, I played around with some special 150 grain Barnes XBT that were going at least as fast as you will be pushing the 130 grainers. They went clear through an elk broadside, and made about a 2" wound channel - without an undue amount of bloodshot meat. The bullet's petals, of course, broke off early in the wound channel and were found just under the hide.

The thing I would be concerned about is the amount of barrel fouling you are going to get by pushing these bullets over 3500 fps. I would suspect it will be severe. You might try the Barnes TSX instead, unless you have already purchase the XLC's.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:37 PM

I concur with Roskoe, go with TSXs instead. I used to shoot the 130s in my Warbird a spot or two faster than the Ultra and they simply will NOT fail. I even purposefully double shouldered a large buck once at 45yds just to test the bullet (had already tested it on about a dozen bucks and does at longer ranges) and the buck went down like it was struck by the hammer of Thor and surprisingly there was no bruising too the meat. But the bone fragments were found at each end of the animal (drove them through the neck and also into the hindquarters). Either bullet just goes in and goes right out the other side. I have NEVER lost an animal with either of the loads (50 and counting) and the destruction isn't nearly as bad as my other mags with softer bullets. They penetrate like solids. In fact I have taken several "texas heartshots" at over 300yds and all that happened was the deer had two rearend holes, a new hole in their necks and they went straight too the ground like you hooked em up too a 220V.

The only downside too the old Xbullet are their accuracy. That is the reason the TSXs were created. I switched too the 150TSXs when they came out a few years ago and now won't switch too anything else. The 130Xs would only do 1.5" @ 100yds from my Sako. The 150TSXs do .5" @ 100yds, 3.5" @ 400ydsand are less than 200fps slower than the old 130s. The grooves in the TSXs not only reduce fouling but reduce pressure and increase velocity all other things being equal. I would try the new 130TSXs if they were loaded by Lazzeroni for my 'bird just because. But I have used the 150s with so much success (whitetails, muleys & antelope) that I can't imagine what a 150 doing 3800fps wouldn't do that a 130 doing 4k fps does.

Good luck,
RA

ps
Fouling wise, I know the old Xs DO foul barrels. The loads I always shot were/are NP3 plated so the fouling isn't a problem, but I shoot other TSXs (non-plated) in some of my other guns and they foul less than anyother copper jacketed bullet I have ever shot. I simply think they are THE perfect bullet. The new polytipped Barnes' I am sure are GREAT bullets but I think they are more for marketing and because folks just THINK they MUST have a polytip bullet. The regular nose on a TSX is damage resistant and very aerodynamic to begin with. I am not worried about changing.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot X bullets for years and never experienced fouling. Am I just not shooting enough?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I experienced terrible fouling with the standard x bullets but none with the tsx.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:14 AM

The fouling seems to depend on fast you are driving them and the smoothness of the barrel. At speeds above 3500 fps, all the regular X and XLC bullets seem to have terrible fouling in any barrel. I haven't shot any TSX bullets yet, but I'm hoping they will be better. I have a box of 85 gr. 6MM TSX in the reloading room right now waiting to be tested in the 6MM-284. This should be a good test, as I normally get about 3700 out of this bullet weight in that caliber.