Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

how much $$$$

Old 01-05-2006, 07:50 PM

Default how much $$$$

i am thinking about getting into reloading not really sure about it though, but i always here different prices on how much it takes to get set up.

so how much do you think it would cost to get a good setup nothing fancy nothing huge just somthing i could use to reload for maybe 3 or 4 rifles with
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 PM

Default RE: how much $$$$

I think $200 should more than cover it. I already had a scale (which can run from $40-insane) But I think I'm at about 150 for the Lee hand press, 2 sets of dies, 400 primers (200 for each) 200 cases (100 for each) a big ole box of lead bullets for the 41mag and 50 Nosler Partitions (which are premium bullets=$$$) for the 22-250 and a pound of 4320. A little blue dot was given to me for the 41 mag. Just like factory ammo some calibers are simply going to be more expensive to shoot, handloaded or not.

Forgot, I also got 2 of those little caliber-specific reloading manuals. They were included in the 150 with bullets, primers, cases, powder, dies (2) and hand press. I should tell you I'm going to get a crimping die for the handgun which I think runs about $10 and a micrometer.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

By the time it is all said and done with a good reloading kit, dies, miscelanous tools, primers, cases, powders, bullets, reloading manuals, etc... you will be looking at $500 - $600.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

By the time it is all said and done with a good reloading kit, dies, miscelanous tools, primers, cases, powders, bullets, reloading manuals, etc... you will be looking at $500 - $600.
and to think when I got into it I actually thought I would save money
I figure I should be breaking even in about 32 years!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

In Canadian dollars my press,scale,measure,power case tools,trimmer,primer tool,trickler,tumbler,calipers,neck turning tools,manualsand dies will total over $1600.I also usually stock another $2000 worth of powder,bullets,primers,ammo boxes,lubes etc.Add in the cost of my bench,lighting etc.,and my total investment adds up to close to $4000.

If I was to cut down to what I consider the bare minimum,I would still have around $800 Canadianinvested.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say 4 or 5 hundred dollars would be a minimum. That would include equipment, brass, powder, primers, bullets and so on. Quite likely though, you're going to spend more than that once everything is said and done.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using RCBS equipment, bullets and powder for 4 different cartridges will run you about $650.00. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Killer,

I just got into relaoding right before Christmas. I am fortunate enough to have Cabelas, an hour away from my parents. I purchased the RCBS Supreme Master Reloading Kit, $500 dollars. I prolly put $150 more into it for components and now Ishould be good untilI get a newrifle.

Most importantly, reloading in this short amount of time has taught me so much about shooting. I am contstantly studying the system of shooting, what bullets to use, what powder to use, bullet drop, load velocity, and the list could go on. This helps me find a great bullet, load, and powder marriage with my rifle. I have tightened up my groups considerably. All this is priceless.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:29 AM

I purchased a RCBS Supreme kit at my local Walmart for $249 and a case trimmer for $69. You can find good prices on dies and bullets on eBay if you dont mind buying there.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad bought us a RCBS set up. With the powder throw coming in today I think he is just over $400 now.

We still need a bullet puller, a tumbler and maybe a digital scale but thats not really needed I just want one. I thinkwe have everything now. Funny I said we needed to get into reloading so we can load some light loads for my girls 243, then went and bought all this stuff for his grand daughter no questions asked and didnt even tell me till after he bought it. I already have an older Lee set up with about ten pounds of dust boxed up in my barn.

Now I got all kinds of new toys