Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Your definition of compressed load >

Your definition of compressed load

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Your definition of compressed load

Old 01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Your definition of compressed load

ok, loading up a new batch of 25-06's tonite and since I have no real data in my manual for Accubonds I had to get some data off of reloadersnest. Well, as as I approached max load I looked down in the casing and noticed that the powder was just starting to creep up into the neck at 57 gr of IMR 7828. Now I didnt hear crunching when I seated the bullet, but there is no rattling sound when I shake it. What is a true definition of compressed???
Old 01-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Your definition of compressed load

I don't currently use compressed loads but my definition would be a load where the bullet actually compresses the powder when seated.In some cases the compression actually causes the bullet to stop short of seating all the way by several thousands.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was reloading some 140 gr. Accubond for my 7mm-08 with RL19 powder. I was up to 49.0 gr. which is 101% load density. This load is a compressed load according to the Nosler book and when looking at the powder once in the case the bullet will actually push the powder down when seating the bullet. Now this is a compressed load...
Old 01-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

the funny thing is I am at 57 gr, that is where I stopped but the guy who posted the info said he made it to 60 gr before pressure signs showed up. When I test these tommorrow I will definatly start watching casing and extraction well before I get to 57 gr. I really hope to get the 7828 to work, with a 24" barrel should get me around3100-3150.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hoping to get about 2900 fps. and I’m only accomplished about 2600 fps. , so I’m at my max. with this load. I’ll have to try another powder for higher velocity and good accuracy...
Old 01-01-2006, 10:07 PM

mossy,
My definition is, when care is taken to feed powder slowly into a case so there is no empty space in the case, and seating a bullet compresses the powder even further. Powder may come into the neck, and be pushed down by a bullet and still not be a compressed load if all the bullet does is to move the powder into a space that had been vacant. If powder is compressed it may actually move the bullet forward in the case neck.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 4" drop tube which gives me a more uniform powder column which reallyaids in accuracy. If the base of the bulletcompacts the powder, enough to become smaller in bulk, or volume after using the drop tube I consider it a compressed load. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: handloader1

If the base of the bulletcompacts the powder, enough to become smaller in bulk, or volume after using the drop tube I consider it a compressed load. Good luck.
Same here...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ok, loading up a new batch of 25-06's tonite and since I have no real data in my manual for Accubonds I had to get some data off of reloadersnest. Well, as as I approached max load I looked down in the casing and noticed that the powder was just starting to creep up into the neck at 57 gr of IMR 7828. Now I didnt hear crunching when I seated the bullet, but there is no rattling sound when I shake it. What is a true definition of compressed???
This is pretty obvious. If the powder charge comes up inside the case neck to the point where the bullet has to push some of it down into the case further when youseat it, that's a compressed load.

If you are using a stick powder, the kernels liein such a way that they cannot change their orientation in order to occupy any extra space that may be in the case. On the other hand, flake and ball powders have already done that, so it they come up into the bullet space in the neck, the bullet seating process will really compact the charge.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Teah, I agree---I also wonder if you change any of the burning rate of stick powders by crushing some of it when seating the bullet? I understand that you certainly don't crush it all, but if that does happen, could it affect the uniformity of the loads?

Quick Reply: Your definition of compressed load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.