Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Anybody load the .300 Whisper? >

Anybody load the .300 Whisper?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Anybody load the .300 Whisper?

Old 12-15-2005, 05:25 PM

Default RE: Anybody load the .300 Whisper?

As difficult as it will be to find dies and brass for the .300 Whisper, you might consider down loading a .308 Winchester - like Briman suggested. I have used powders like N-110 and IMR 4227 to fire form cases in the various Ackley Improved calibers. In the 30-06, for instance, the fire form load is going about 2,000 fps and has very mild recoil.Also agree with the bullet choice - 125 Ballistic Tips, as explosive as they can be at higher velocities, could be just the ticket at reduced velocities. Around 2100 fps MV would be about right, I would think. Could also do the same thing with a .270 - and load the 110 V-Max to reduced velocities.

You could then increase the velocity of the load as she grows and, maybe someday, be up to full throttle.

Must be great to have a little hunting buddy, up at the crack of dawn, ready to go. My son likes to hunt; but, like yours,it isnearly impossible to get him up at zero dark thirty.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

So................... why don't you just let her shoot a .243? It's not gonna break her shoulder or anything.

We didn't say she shouldn't hunt we said IF she can't handle a .243 then she should wait. You don't know if she can handle it or not since nether one of you has ever shot one. A .243 kicks no where near what a .308 does. A .308 has about double the recoil of a .243.

Quit being scared for her and let her go shoot a .243!!!!!!!!
She obviously wants to do this, why hold her back?

It sounds like you are more afrade of it than she is.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

one thing I have noticed is you said about getting an NEF in 243, well them little suckers have quite a wollup!!! My buddys NEF 280 has significant recoil over a bolt action 270. If she is dying to do this, the 357 rifle wouldnt be bad (I have one......zero recoil) but a close shot is a must. Im sure you already realize that. I hope it goes well and tell her to bag a bigun!!!! I will be going through this very thing in a couple years. I have a 4 yr old and all shes says is "daddy can I go hunting with you". Im sure you can imagine how I feel telling her no.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Spike

I load the Whipser both ways...

220 grainers at 1050 for my suppressed AR...

and various weight bullets for my Contender.

The NBT in 125 is about perfect for deer and the recoil is minor. She shopuld have no problems with the recoil. Its a very accurate round and one that wont blow your eardrums out.

I find many of the comments here about the Whisper somewhat entertaining as it is apparent that most of those commenting have never shot one.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have a NEF 243 and took a nice doe with it this year. It really doesnt kick at all,,, honestly! Just let her try a buddies on a practice day and see how she does. I think it would be just fine for her. I love my NEF 243, it is so versatile! A poor mans T/C encore.
Now, where is zrex when your talking about 243,,,,,,,,
EJ
Old 12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say to get the NEF. You can get various barrels for it. Get one in .243, then have a barrel fitted in a smaller caliber. Maybe .357 Mag, or 22mag rimfire. These will be no problem to handle out of that rifle. Put a good scope, and maybe add a bipod to add some weight, and the recoil will be very little. Then, as she grows, you can add other barrels also, such as the 7-08 and others. That would be my choice. Heck, even load the .243 with some minimum loads with the Nosler 55 grain BT to start. That would generate not more than 6lbs or recoil energy.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Mike - not sure if you got the info your looking for on the 300 Whisper? I don't have any experience with them, but I do have a book with several whisper cartridges written up - reloading info type of thing. The 338 and 375 whispers sound kind of interesting as well. If you want to see what they have written let me know.

Oh, and as far as the 243 goes - seems like243's are always anticipated to be no-recoil guns, so recoil pads are often hard plastic. If your going the 243 route with a young shooter and want to assure minimal recoil - make sure there is a recoil pad on it. My 6 mm makes my shoulder hurt more than my 7 Rem Mag. The 6 has a hard plastic butt pad, my 7 Mag has a custom stock and a recoil pad...

It would be interesting to see what shooting a subsonic caliber would be like. The book talked about these calibers being incredibly accurate out to 1 mile, and how little wind effected the path with the heavy calibers and bullets. More so with the 338 Whisper and larger than the 300 Whisper.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I got a deal on a 243. So we got one tonight. total after taxes was $272.50 came with a mounted Simmons scope, sling, and a soft case. My dads going to buy some dies for it if she cant handle it, so we can load some reduced loads for her.

I will still be getting a .300 Whisper barrel this spring for my Contender. And a thumbhole stock from Gunstocks Inc. also. After reading about it and seeing the data I want one, just dont need it now. My dad wants to get back into reloading so when we do, I'll have me a Whisper set up to play with and fine tune my reloading skills.