Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Horizontal Stringing >

Horizontal Stringing

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Horizontal Stringing

Old 11-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Horizontal Stringing

Well, I shot my .30-06 today with 165 grain Nosler Partions and 44 grains of IMR 3031. I tested at 100 yards. I should at the target a total of 7 times. I had 2 which I new I pulled and landed about 3" low. The remaining 5 were right at 1" high, but strung from right to left and about 1" apart the whole way across. I am not sure what could be causing this. My scope and mounts all appear to be snug, however the scope (Bushnell Sportsman 3x9 that came with the Savage) was not as clear as I have noticed in the past. That will definately need to be replaced soon!! Other than that, I am not sure what could be causinghorizontal stringing.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks!!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Horizontal Stringing

The scope is a likely culprit. Is the barrel free floated? Sometimes heat from the barrel will warp the stock to one side and put pressure on the barrel.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, the barrel is free floated. I am thinking it could very well be the scope with lack of clarity, which could mean other things could possibly be wrong with it. I will have to find another one which I have lying around to try and confirm it. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

vertical stringing is often the result of barrel heating... if you had 2 low left and 3 high right but concentrated in two tight groups then i would venture to guess it was caused by the shooter... you'd be surprised how much of an impact doing small things can have on POI...
Old 11-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is not vertical stringing. The two shots that went low, I know I pulled because the rifle slipped of the bag that I was shooting from. The others are all in a horizonatal line over about 5-6", as the same level, 1" high. This is taking shots in 45 degree weather, in two and 3 shot strings, over a course of approx. 20 minutes.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

what kind of gun?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you tried to shoot the gun since.If the scope is at fault the point of impact will most likely keep moving in the same direction until the scope reaches the windage limit.If the point of impact starts out where it started out last timeand then moves off as before it is likely a problem with the stock exerting pressure on one side of the barrel or it could be a barrel that has internalstresses.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The gun is a Savage 110.

I have not shot the gun since. I posted this first yesterday, not 1/2 hour after shooting. I am out of reloads now, but do have some factory loads that could tell me something about any more horizontal stringing. I may just load some of the loads I just shot (10 or so), and shoot again after cleaning the gun real good.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 11-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Typical Buck

Charlie brown???Did you figure it out yet?????
Old 11-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, haven't had a chance to reload any yet, or shoot again. My work schedule sucks, so I will check it when I can.

Quick Reply: Horizontal Stringing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.