Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

need help fast

Old 11-10-2005, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default need help fast

Waiting until the last minute is my biggest problem every year and I need to change that. Two years ago I did the same thing and couldn't find the ammo I had my gun sighted in with. Ended up having to switch ammo brands which meant more time on the range. To fix the problem, last year I bought extra boxes of the ammo I prefer and again spent more time on the range re-sighting. Now this year I waited until the last minute to get my gear together and guess what? I can't find those extra boxes of ammo I bought so that I wouldn't be in this situation

So yesterday I had top go back to the shop and pick up a few more boxes of shells and with my luck, they're out! I normally shoot Federals Premium 150gr Nosler Partitions and all they had was Federal Premium Vital-Shok 140gr Nosler Accubond. Two years ago I tried and disliked the Remington's Core-Lok ammo so trying that again ever again is out of the question for me.

So finally to my question, this Nosler Accubond bullet (which is boat tailed w/ a polamer tip), has anyone put this bullet through their deer rifles and if so how did you like it? Is it better than the Nosler Partition? I still have about two clips (8 rounds) of the 150 Nosler Partitions left but I like to shoot at least 3 rounds just to check my gun. So that leaves me with 5 rounds to hunt in VT with which doesn't sit well with me.

Any quick information on this will be great seeing that Saturday is opening day and I need to get to the range by Friday. Thanks
Old 11-10-2005, 06:06 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: need help fast

I have replaced almost all my partition rounds with the accubond. Its a much better deer bullet in my opinion. The partition was never an accuracy king. It can be, but most times you can get better accuracy with accurbond, BT's, gamekings.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Ijust got back from the range and that accuracy thing you mentioned is true. I didre-sight on my scope and was drillingshots at 50 and 100 yards. My Nolser Partitions usally had about 1/4" group where as today, I had a group of three that were alltouching at 100 yards. That's the best I've had my rifle shooting so far at that range. I also noticed that there wasn't much of difference from 50 to 100 yards as far as height does! less than 1/4" which I like.

I just hope it has the knock down power that the Noler Partitions have
Thanks again

Old 11-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

Thanks again
well, if you are speaking of penetration, the accubond is listed by Nosler as somewhere between the Partition and the Ballistic tip. However, you have nothing to worry about using them on deer. I reload Accubonds for my friend who uses a .338 Win mag and he shot a 240 lb monster last year as it was facing him, square in the chest. The bullet went into the brisket traveled completely through the deer made a right hand turn and lodged in the hide behind the hind quarters. I think you will be ok!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

Thanks again
well, if you are speaking of penetration, the accubond is listed by Nosler as somewhere between the Partition and the Ballistic tip. However, you have nothing to worry about using them on deer. I reload Accubonds for my friend who uses a .338 Win mag and he shot a 240 lb monster last year as it was facing him, square in the chest. The bullet went into the brisket traveled completely through the deer made a right hand turn and lodged in the hide behind the hind quarters. I think you will be ok!
Yea but camo wasright up to it when you guys came to thecage to shoot it. Didn't even untie the poor deer.

Old 11-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input guys I feel that 90% of the harvest is shot placement! which I'm confident and capable of doing. Talked to few other friends of mine (well the only two I have ) and like you guys posted here, they too feel it has the same if not more knock down power than the nosler partition and that I'd be alright. Theyboth added that they felt the accubond holds together better and delivers a little bit more punchthan the nosler partition even though I'm dropping down 10 grains.

Thanks again for the input and for getting back to me with quick replies! I've got a lot more confidence in hitting the woods in the morning with my new rifle load. Good luck this year and keep it safe

Old 11-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

My Nolser Partitions usally had about 1/4" group where as today, I had a group of three that were alltouching at 100 yards.
Glad to hear that you are happy with the accuracy that the loads are providing in your rifle.But I just have to ask as to how you measure your groups.A true 1/4" group is well beyond what most rifles can ever produce consistantly.The proper way to measure group size is to shoot a three or fiveshot group and measure the distance from the farthest apart edges of the holes farthest apart.You then subtract one bullet diameter and the result is the distance from the centers of the two holes farthest apart.A true 1/4" group would have all shots overlapping.Good luck on your hunt.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

At 50 yards I was punching a large hole with 5 rounds that was about 1/4" high of center. Out at 100 yards my final three shot group was about 1/2" high from center. I just took an average of the center of the groups and didn't actually measure it. It could be offa little but I don't mind, I'm happy with it. I didn't use the method you posted but will definitely remember thatin the future formeasusing the difference. Thanks for the info
Old 11-11-2005, 11:05 AM

That poor girl in your video avatar is going to have back problems some day . . . . .
Old 11-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

That poor girl in your video avatar is going to have back problems some day . . . . .
I dont know about any back problems but she sure dont have any front problems!!!!!!