Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 .30 for 300 RUM and 30-06 >

.30 for 300 RUM and 30-06

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.30 for 300 RUM and 30-06

Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default .30 for 300 RUM and 30-06

Hello,

I hate to say it, but I am also new to reloading, so I apoligize in advance for any "dumb" questions. I just bought a Lee turret press and the collett and factory crimp dies for my 300rum and 30-06. I plan to hunt whitetail in WI and will be shooting less than 250 yds.

I would like to load a 165 0r 168 Barnes TSX bullet. I have read that H4350 at approx. 57 grains would be a good place to start for the 30-06. Can the H4350 be used for both? Because one is a magnum and one isn't, do I need different primers?

I do realize the 300 RUM is over kill for Whitetail, but I bought the gun cheap and would like to shoot it and don't Elk hunt yet (Bought a 700 Rem LSS with a VX III fired 6 times for $575.00) I thought the 165 may reduce some of the recoil.

I am a Police sniper and am particular about accuracy, which is why I began to reload. Both guns are Rem 700's.

I'm guessing I may be better off loading the RUM with different powder, bullets, and primers butI thought I'd check. I plan to neck size only and trim.I still have todo some research on proper bullet seating so the bullet is .050 per Barnes reccomendations.

Any help would be appreciated! (My 300 RUM brass is Remington, and my 30-06 is Fed. premium)

Steve
Old 10-24-2005, 04:54 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: .30 for 300 RUM and 30-06

Sure can use it for both. You sure won't get much velocity with 4350 in the RUM but it was accurate. I have used IMR4350 for both. Think I was loading 150gr bullistic tip at over 3600fps. Would have to double check my data. But just did it to see if I could.

Old 10-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My .02 worth is this........if you are a police sniper and expect incredible accuracy, trying to scrimp and save by doubling up on powders is the last thing you should do. Test, test, and retest the top 3 or so powders listed by the manufacturer of the bullets you are shooting. (In my Nosler book only one powder was recommended for both and that was IMR 4350 and like Bigcountry said velocity will suffer) I reload for both of the calibers you mentioned but I use Nosler bullets. I use IMR 4350 for my 06 and H-1000 for my 300 RUM. Bigcountry and Stubble are the guys to ask about Barnes bullets though. Good luck and no your question was not stupid!!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

The more I think about it I agree. I'll start with the 30-06. I'm leaning towards the IMR 4350 with the 168 TSX. Would I be correct by starting with 57 grains of powder? What primer would be best and how far do I seat the bullet? Is there any easy way to find .050 off the lands (I think thats what Barnes said. If anyone else has an accurate recipe for the 168 TSX 30-06 I could use the help.

You are right about me being dissapointed if I don't get tight groups. I'm used tofive round groups where each round is touching at 100 yds. This is from a 308 Remington 700 tactical rifle with a custom Krieger barrel. We shoot off of bi-pods and use Federal match 168gr. BTHP.

I don't expect this out of my hunting rounds, but I think we all strive for the best we can get. We usually shoot for 15 minutes and spend the next hour and a half cleaning our rifles. (Actually for my first reloads I will be happy with creating a round that doesn't blow my gun up )

Thanks for the help!

Cybersniper
Old 10-25-2005, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at what the Barnes manual says to start with the X Bullets!! They recommend to use the data for the regular X's with the TSX's!! I would imagine 57 grains of IMR 4350 would be quite hot, for ANY bullet!! Even though IMR and Hodgdon have the same numbers on a lot of powders, the powders ARE NOT interchangable. They each have slightly different burn caharacteristics. The best is to start at about 10% below listed max (rounded to the nearest grain) and work up in 1 grain incriments (thats what I do with the .30-06), until you have pressure signs, or you reach the accuracy that you want. Good luck with loading.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Charlie Brown!

I bought the book, which lists a 165 XBT. The suggested start load is 53.0 of the IMR 4350 to 57.0 grain max. I had called Barnes today to see if they could give me some advice on the 168 TSX, but they tech was hunting (good for him). The Barnes web site suggests 1 to 2 grains above the X starting to acheive equal pressure. I'm using Federal casings with 210M primers. I plan to start at 54.0 or 54.5. Does this all sound good? I'm a little nervous because it will be my first try. I plan to use a Stoney Point OAL to figure the depth. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the world of HANDLOADING. It can be fun and frustrating at the same time. I would like to give you one word of caution using the TSX. Barnes and others always recommend you start with their starting load. This is a good practice to begin with. I usually exceed max loads listed in manuals with my rifles and back down 1 full grain if I run into pressure signs. I recently acquired a 30-06 that my Grandad owned for over 20 years. He didn't hunt much and said he fired less than 3 boxes of ammo through the rifle. I like Barnes bullets and happend to have a friend give me a box of the 180 gr. TSX. I seated the bullets .050 off the lands as Barnes suggests. When using the Barnes bullets you can go from .070-.030 off the lands but don't get closer than .030. To make a long story short I was .5 gr. under max load when I started seeing pressure signs. So always start at the bottom and work up. I also use the 140 TSX in my 280 Remington. I can only exceed max load for the Barnes X by .5 gr. or I start having too much case head expansion. So please especially when new to something exercise caution!!! Good luck and I hope you enjoy reloading (especially when you get your first sub .5" group) as much as I do. Another note for the Barnes bullets is that you can often start at .050 off the lands and if your accuracy is terrible you can improve it by moving the bullet fore & aft towards the lands.