Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Speer Bullets

Old 07-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Speer Bullets

This is just a general question. Are Speer bullets any good? For hunting or varmint? This is a brand of bullets that I always over look. I have the Speers manual 13 and glance over there selection of bullets but they don’t seem to be as popular as other brands. Any comments good or bad?
Old 07-01-2005, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Speer Bullets

trail the only Speer bullets Ipersonally used werea few 110HPs and 150Spitzers in my 30/06 many, manymoons ago and they worked great! I know from experience as well that the GrandSlam is a quality bullet that will do anything a Nosler Partition will do. I have heard much praise of the HotCors as well but can't speak for them personally.

Good luck,
RA
Old 07-01-2005, 06:31 PM

Speer makes some pretty good bullets. They are about the only major bullet manufacturer that has not jumped on the ballistic tip bandwagon. And they filled the bonded bullet gap in their lineup by buying theexcellent Trophy Bonded Bear Claw line of bullets. The Grand Slam bullets are pretty good pills in the heavier weights. 20 years ago I considered the GS 150 grain .270 to be the best .270 elk load ever devised. Since then I have moved to the bonded bullets.

But as I look over my bullet cabinet, there are not many yellow boxes in there . . . .
Old 07-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I was just wondering if it was worth giving them a try? I’m trying some loads a couple of rifles to see if I can improve on the groups especially on my 350 Rem Mag. Maybe I’ll get a yellow box tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:36 PM

I told you I have been out of reloadin too long (about 12 years), I didn't know Speer had bought the TBBC. They are AWESOME bullets and make Nosler Parts and even their own Grand Slams look like Matchking hollowpoints. I have shot 140TBBCs in a 280 custom of mine for several years and they drive nails and absolutely will NOT come apart. They aren't the best bullet for going over 400yds with (they are plenty accurate enough, they just have alower BC and really drop off after the 1/4 mile mark), but inside of that they are worthy of use for anything you want if proper weight, caliber and velocity is chosen.

Thanks for the info,
RA
Old 07-01-2005, 08:43 PM
bigcountry

I tell ya one bullet they have I don't like, and thats the grand slam. Never could get them to group worth a darn in any gun.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I load a 45 Grain Speed SPT on top of WW748 in my .223 Remington. They shoot about 1" at 100 yds (H&R Single Shot). They will leave coffee cup sized holes in jackrabbits, and just the other day, I had an opportunity to shoot a cow for beef with the gun. We'll just say the results were quite impressive. These bullets are very good for varmint applications. I have tried the Grand Slam in my .30-06, but have not been successful in developing a good load as of yet. I am currently working with the Nosler Partition in the .06, but the Speer bullet will stay in my .223 until I can't get them anymore.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to our sporting good store to get some 35 caliber bullets but had no luck. They have very little stock and definitely not in the 35. I ‘ll have to check a little later when things start to pick up at the end of August.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Trailer,

I have loaded several loads of speer varmit bullets for my brothers' .223 and he has always spoke well of how they shoot.

I have used them in my 30-06 for whitetails and have no complaints. The longest shot I made with them is about 300 yds. and as close as ten feet, still no problems. I mostly load 150 grns. in the 06.

dog1
Old 07-02-2005, 04:34 PM

Speer,have a nice selection of bullets and for the most part,i have found them to be very effective on game.Maybe some of them won,t shoot as good as some other brand on paper,BUT whom wants to eat paper? vangunsmith

Quick Reply: Speer Bullets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.