Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Dupont Lightning rifle powder?? >

Dupont Lightning rifle powder??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Dupont Lightning rifle powder??

Old 06-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dupont Lightning rifle powder??

A friend of mine inherrited all of his grandfathers reloading supplies, i was helping him go through it to figure out was still good and what was bad. We came across a sealed container appears to have been never openned labelled Dupont lightning rifle powder dated 9/1906. this powder being nearly 100 years old would it still be good even if it is in its original unopenned container??? if it is still good is it a good powder?? is there someway to get load data for it??
Old 06-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dupont Lightning rifle powder??

It is an antique I would sell it on ebay. Any data you find for it will be so outdated it probably wont be a whole lot of help. Powders get better every year so, it probably isnt worth using anyway.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would e-mail www.imrpowder.com , and see what they have to say. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:37 AM

What's it smell like? Powder that is going/gone bad doesn't have that sweet smell of good powder, it's acidity.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:15 AM
bigcountry

No way I would use it. Keep it for a cool antique.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only person that powder and container are worth anything to is a collector.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

The only person that powder and container are worth anything to is a collector.

well duh!!! lol
Old 06-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

well duh!!! lol

Well DuH yourself.. before I was going to post what I said I thought to myself how could anyone in their right mind even contemplate loading something this old. .Question answered
Old 06-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

A friend of mine inherrited all of his grandfathers reloading supplies, i was helping him go through it to figure out was still good and what was bad. We came across a sealed container appears to have been never openned labelled Dupont lightning rifle powder dated 9/1906. this powder being nearly 100 years old would it still be good even if it is in its original unopenned container??? if it is still good is it a good powder?? is there someway to get load data for it??
Don't open it. Keep it as a collectible.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

well duh!!! lol

Well DuH yourself.. before I was going to post what I said I thought to myself how could anyone in their right mind even contemplate loading something this old. .Question answered
LOL , I considered loading it because I read somewhere that powder in its original unopenned container can have a shelf life of up to 100 years depending on the powder not knowing if this particular powder fell in that category I figured I would post and maybe find out some more about this particular powder........... The container is rather large Id say its atleast equivalent to todays 8 lbs kegs. If its a useable powder hey its 8 lbs of FREE!!!! powder. I dont really care for it as a collectors item I highly doubt the powder is worth a whole lot I did call a antique store though and they said the container alone could be worth 25 dollars to the right person, soooooooo great Ill sell the container to some smuck for 25 bucks but mainly I want to know is the powder useable?? does that answer your question elkhunter

Quick Reply: Dupont Lightning rifle powder??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.