Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 When you seat a bullet >

When you seat a bullet

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

When you seat a bullet

Old 05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When you seat a bullet

Is it normal for a little of the brass jacket to shave off as you seat the bullet????
Old 05-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When you seat a bullet

yes, some of mine do and some dont.......inside chamfering of the neck sometimes helps but I still get it especially on 25-06
Old 05-30-2005, 08:48 PM
bigcountry

Make sure you use you deburr tool before seating especially after trimming. You really don't want those shavings.

They also sell a 30degree tool instead of 45 that will make even lubadox coated bullets go in easier.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a Lyman 'M' die to put a slight bell on the case neck, then when you seat, you set your seating die to restraighten the case neck as the bullet is seated. Voila! no shavings.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:12 PM

It will happen from time to time,even if your brasss is trimmed,chamfered,and defurred correctly. Some brand of bullets have a litte different dimensions,as well as do your sizeing dies. .Just check your brass that you went through all the proper steps,and if it does a little on some brand bullets don,t worry about it.One shouldn,t have to use any type of lube to seat the bullets!!!!!! Your can take that to the bank. vangunsmith
Old 05-31-2005, 03:04 PM

I got the deburr tool made for VLD bullets, which I assume is the 30 degree unit BC is talking about. Have never had copper shavings using this tool - so I now use it for all rifle bullets. The idea of belling the neck a little and then crimping it back when seating can't be good for neck life.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vangunsmith

It will happen from time to time,even if your brasss is trimmed,chamfered,and defurred correctly.
dude, whats defurred mean???? do bullets come with fur on them now, or is it like deferring payment to someone???

I know, tacky......but it gets old picking on Bigcountry all the time
Old 05-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The idea of belling the neck a little and then crimping it back when seating can't be good for neck life.
Not so. You pretty much need a 'M' dies to make cast load with bottle necked rifle brass. I have some brass that have been reloaded 10x or more for cast loads and haven't worn out yet. The bell on the neck is very tiny- only about .002" or less and keeps the case mouth from scraping the bullet- the case neck expands and contracts much more than this every time its fired and resized.

Another neat benifit of the 'M' die is that you can use it for jacketed bulelts as well, I go an extra step and remove the expander ball when I resize, use a universal decapper to punch the primer out, and use the 'M' die to expand the neck back out. It makes the case necks straighter and works the brass even less than if you simply FL resized with the expander ball in place.

The 'M' die is pretty much unknown to most people unless they have reloaded lead rifle bullets, but its worth its weight in gold.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:42 AM

Here's anohter vote for the "m" die.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:24 PM

Mine used to but Ive extended my reloading todo list and maybe 1 out of 100 or so have shavings. I deburr mine really good right after the case is trimmed.

Quick Reply: When you seat a bullet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.