Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass ?

Old 05-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brass ?

I am new to realoading. I have some empty cases from a couple boxs of Win prem loads. The emptys are not brass they are crome/white metal colored. Just wondering if these can be reloaded???
Old 05-21-2005, 12:10 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Brass ?

Sounds like nickel. Same reloading as brass. I find it a tad difficult to trim and seat bullets.

I like regular brass.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:21 AM

Mr. Longbeard,
They are nickel cases. They can be reloaded,but I wouldn't. The nickel cases are a pain in the butt and seem to do strange things in my sizing dies. Also, as BC pointed out, seating can be a real pain. Do yourself a favor and stick with brass. Shoot the nickel ones once and chuck
em.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:34 AM

I've used nickel - it's not at the top of my list for brass. It "feels" too brittle.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys pretty much everybody is saying the same thing. They will be tossed...

Have another ?... I want to buy some brass. What kind should I get and will they shoot ok if they are not Fire foremed to my gun.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some prefer one type brass over others but I have used Remington brass without any problems. I prep the new brass by sizing the neck, trimming down to length as specified and removing the burr on the inside and outside. The brass should be ready to reload and you shouldn’t have any problems fitting in the chamber. If you have any concerns you could always try the brass in the chamber before loading but should be ok. Good Luck....
Old 05-21-2005, 07:21 PM
bigcountry

They will be tossed...
Man don't toss em. Just note the problems. I mean I prefer Lapua over remington brass but most of what I have is remington.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

They will be tossed...
Man don't toss em. Just note the problems.
Exactly what I was thinking, I mean with a little care, and examination, you can get plenty of loadings out of em. I use nickel for 3 of the 7 guns I reload for exclusively, and have not had a problem.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was a affraid that they might mess up my dies... If you guys think they will be ok. I'll give them a try...
Old 05-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

make sure you prep them with lube (as always) 2/3 of the casing from the rim up, and you will be fine........I have resized probably 500 of them and not had a problem.

Quick Reply: Brass ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.