Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

So Sad...

Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Spike

Chuck 7, The only reason I'm posting here is because I'm experiencing the same thing you are on another forum. A year or two ago a popular trad archery forum I loved dropped both the pol and Christian forums. A Canadian group was buying up many hunting/shooting forums and seemed to not want these distractions as part of their plan. One member who was a moderator on another trad archery forum asked us to come over after he gained permission to start a new Christian Faith and Fellowship forum there. What we found out was there would only be a few who really participated and a few more who only read the posts and gave brief comments. Now it has dwindled to the same degree you folks have here. So very sad.

I was here from 2006 thru 2011 following mostly the inline forum and discussions. Hunting and shooting was pretty much dominating my life until I was called out of the woods and into a home church and my life was changed. I've shared what happened on line many times on the other two forums and with others over the years. When our Lord said that narrow is the way and that few find it, I'm finally realizing just how true His statement is. Even for a born again believer, denying self daily so that self is crucified with Christ and we are walking in the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus is much tougher than I once thought. Self is very well established within us all and doesn't die or go away easily. The battle for our soul rages. The Church for the most part does not seem to focus on Romans 5 thru 8 or produce enough mature Christian overcomers to help the newborns in Christ to survive.

So, we wind up with many Christians who lack the zeal they were born with at the new birth. It is so easy to drift into complacency and a luke warm walk. I think the baby boomer generations for the most part are inclined this way. Life, for the most part, was easy for us. We seem to take so much for granted - even experiencing the moving and hand of God and the Holy Spirit in our lives as He shows Himself to us. When you try to discuss life in the Spirit beyond the initial salvation experience and our position and go into sanctification and our condition it seems like you are leaving the comfort zone so many have found in Church. Anything negative or discussing the many warnings of Jesus and the Apostles is seen as negative or as law and folks back off.

We are so inclined to want to be able to do something that relying upon Christ and what He did at the Cross and what He can still do for us is lost to many. How many today can tell of what it is like when by grace through faith in Jesus and who and what He has done, the Holy Spirit hears and moves to free us of life long chains that bound us to whatever sinful ways seemed to dominate and control our lives? Who can also speak to the necessity then to go and sin no more so that the same sin does not enter back in and re take control? It seems like in today's atmosphere not many want to talk about such things - or can.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I don't consider myself religious (even though I wrote a book about religion), but I have more concerns over "Christianity light" than I do about atheism. Used to live in Northern Illinois, and there was a yuppie church in the area. Had to go once out of curiosity. This "church" was offensive to Christians and atheists alike - festering halfway between genuine Christianity and full-blown materialistic atheism. These "churches" exist all across America and have huge followings. Are they a halfway house to atheism, or true Christianity? Not sure, but either destination is better than the weak, inconsistent self-centered philosophy promulgated by these money pits.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

If I remember correctly it was asked for to have a religion forum because some members were injecting religion into all kinds of threads and it was asked for to have a religion thread so those who wanted to discuss religion could do so without having to inject religion into the hunting threads which I believe was the correct thing to do. I was one who supported that. I will admit I am not a bible thumper but I do believe there is a God who made us and on the last great day will judge us. However, I dislike proselytizing which is what was happening before there was a thread dedicated to discuss religion. It is not only the religious thread that is experiencing lower numbers of posters, all the subjects we discuss here are in the same boat. People come and people go, I am on another sportsman's message board that is PA oriented that has dropped in numbers of posters, not as much as here though. I suspect the spammers have a lot to do with people leaving this message board which is a shame because it is nice to exchange information with people who hunt other states. The other message board is very vigilant about dumping and banning spammers and that just may be the difference.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

"The other message board is very vigilant..."

Please clarify. Do you refer to another section of Huntingnet.com, or an entirely different website? I think making a religion section was a fantastic idea for the reasons you cite. If people want to discuss religion, they can come here. Religious discussions can remain outside of hunting threads so everybody is happy.

I ask about the forum because I am a refugee from another hunting forum that sounds like you describe - quick to censor, quick to silence, quick to ban. Banning spammers is one thing - quite different from banning unpopular but on-topic opinions.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer View Post
"The other message board is very vigilant..."

Please clarify. Do you refer to another section of Huntingnet.com, or an entirely different website? I think making a religion section was a fantastic idea for the reasons you cite. If people want to discuss religion, they can come here. Religious discussions can remain outside of hunting threads so everybody is happy.

I ask about the forum because I am a refugee from another hunting forum that sounds like you describe - quick to censor, quick to silence, quick to ban. Banning spammers is one thing - quite different from banning unpopular but on-topic opinions.

Yes, another hunting message board. I wouldn't say they were quick to censor or ban, they do try to keep control and dump the spammers which is a tough job. There are less moderators here than there used to be and I suspect that is why the spammers are running wild. Moderators are volunteers who have a life and regular jobs and can't spend all their time dumping spammers.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

I don't disagree with what anybody above said but would like to clarify a few point son the spammers. Yes, they are annoying but there are 2 main categories or groups of spammers. The main group seem to register some spammer name and then never post anything. Those are primarily the ones CI was referring to. Many of us would like to see HNI implement some type of software upgrade so those spammers can't join as members and can't post. Admin doesn't want to mess with these spammers since they aren't posting anything. The 2nd much smaller group of spammers join as bogus members and then post a spam topic or spam post in somebody else's legitimate topic. This group is usually less than 5-10 per day and are the ones members file complaint tickets about and either mods or Admin remove (permaban) them and the soft-delete their posts so members can no longer see them. Although both types of spammers are annoying, I honestly don't think either type of spammer causes members to stop posting here.

Probably the # 1 complaint made by members who leave and don't come back is over moderating. This includes temp banning (permabans can only come back under an alias) and editing or deleting a member's topics for rules violations. Some of those mods are gone and moderating is pretty mild nowadays.
The # 2 complaint (from what I've seen, anecdotal only) was being bullied by other members. Most (but not all) of this problem has been corrected.
The # 3 complaint was when the Off Season Forum was removed from the forums and then restored a few months later under heavy lobbying by some of us mods. A lot of members left when the Off Season forum was removed for a few months and didn't return when the forum was eventually restored. They know the problem was fixed but it just wasn't the same for them and they chose not to return. That's a personal thing for them and not something easily fixed or repaired.

There are other reasons people don't post here as much or as often. Facebook groups, Twitter, Instagram and a hundred or so other media platforms, social mores, political realities, children, families, jobs, life, etc. A lot of us wish this place would get more active but it hasn't and honestly isn't likely to either. I don't think it's any member's fault and certainly not Chuck's or anybody else posting in the Religion forum. It just is what it is. So post away Chuck and feel free to post here a lot more grizzly 2. You guys may not get the most posts in response but if you look at the # of views, it's usually a lot more than posts. So you never know who you edified for God with your post and possibly when they really desperately needed it. Sometimes we're seed planters and don't get to see the results of a garden we've helped plant.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

Well, well. Seems like there is a bit of colorful history here that I missed out on. The only "bullying" that bothers me is when someone hijacks a thread. This may not even be intentional, but it does happen. As far as the other "bullying" goes, I say "man up". Doesn't bother me if people want to say bad things about me (wouldn't have stayed with "that other" hunting forum for so long if it did), but when your own comments are drowned out it defeats the purpose of participating. Trump Derangement Syndrome seems to be a popular way to hijack a thread off-topic; perhaps the politics section will prevent such spillover.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Forums been around since the late 90s.

There's certainly some history.
-Jake
Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer View Post
Well, well. Seems like there is a bit of colorful history here that I missed out on. The only "bullying" that bothers me is when someone hijacks a thread. This may not even be intentional, but it does happen. As far as the other "bullying" goes, I say "man up". Doesn't bother me if people want to say bad things about me (wouldn't have stayed with "that other" hunting forum for so long if it did), but when your own comments are drowned out it defeats the purpose of participating. Trump Derangement Syndrome seems to be a popular way to hijack a thread off-topic; perhaps the politics section will prevent such spillover.
Why yes, there is.

This place was kind of sleepy when it started in the late 90's although it always has had a real active bow hunting forum. To understand the place, you almost need to divide it into 2 phases or periods of time. Before Internet Brands owned it and after Internet Brands owned it.

The original owner/creator of HuntingNet (HNI) was a guy named Todd Graf who started HuntingNet in the mid to late 1990's. His main IT guy (and friend) was named Justin and both were big-time bow hunters so you can see why the site was geared towards bow hunting back then and the bowhunting forum still has the most threads. When they sold HuntingNet to Internet Brands in 2008, they created and started another website called Bowhunting.com. Internet Brands bought HuntingNet.com, DeerHunting.com, WhitetailDeer.com & HuntingOutiftters.com but Todd kept Bowhunting.com. Internet Brands said they were going to leave HuntingNet as a stand alone website but add in more of their advertising, etc. That has more or less happened although Internet Brands has a more relaxed position on spammers (as long as they don't post spam), whereas Justin absolutely hated spammers when he was the main IT guy.

There weren't that many spammers back then and Justin's main nemesis was a member named Stealthycat. Justin got peeved at ole Stealthy and permabanned Stealthy's name and IP address. Stealthy worked at Sprint and had a virtually unlimited # of IP addresses to "join" HuntingNet with, using some very obvious and funny nicknames, such as Tardfarmer, Stealthy 2, derogatory member names about Justin, etc. It was a very funny inside joke that the regulars all knew about (or at least suspected) and then just sat back to watch the fun as Stealthy and Justin dueled back and forth on HuntingNet. That was just one of the many backstories, gags and rapidly evolving situations on HuntingNet that made it fun and has caused many of us still here to refer to it as "the Golden Years" of HuntingNet.

HuntingNet got real active in the political forum in the late 90's leading up to the election between Gore and Bush but was always very active and growing in the Off Season forum. It kept building up through the mid 2000's in a lot of other forums as well, including the religion forum. Back then, forums like this were a much bigger thing and the way a lot of people found and communicated with like minded people. As an example, Facebook didn't really take off until later in that decade. Bush 2 was President during most of that decade and there was more civility although heated arguments did occasionally occur. After Obama got elected, the place kind of stumbled along the same way but people started bleeding off to Facebook, other forums and due to over-moderating.

We had one member promoted to moderator and he argued with lots of members and would delete their entire posts when they disagreed with him and then permaban them. That was kind of a tipping point for this place. There was pretty much a palace revolt and the Site Admin removed the Off Season forum where most of the over-moderating had occurred. Some of the members who were permabanned came back under aliases but a lot of them simply never came back. Some of the older mods and I lobbied the Site Admin heavily to get the Off Season brought back. It took several months but it was finally brought back and that moderator who caused the problem lost his moderator status and powers. There was probably 6 straight months of complaining as we slowly got members un-banned and reinstated but that forum never really came back to its' former activity level. Before the forum was yanked, on any given day, there were pages of new posts and topics as people checked in, bantered back and forth and there was always some running joke in progress by one or more of the "interesting" characters who regularly posted. After the fiasco and the forum was reinstated, there have been maybe a handful of posts on any given day and the place is often quiet as a church.

So now you know some of the colorful history of this place. As always, it still has potential. Which is probably why those of us remaining still hang on and keep logging in.

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-11-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Cal,

That should be made a sticky in the off season forum titled history of hni so that members can find it easily.

A thorough and informative post!

-Jake

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service