Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
Word of the Day, January 9, 2019, Ephesians 4:29 >

Word of the Day, January 9, 2019, Ephesians 4:29

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Word of the Day, January 9, 2019, Ephesians 4:29

Old 01-09-2019, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Word of the Day, January 9, 2019, Ephesians 4:29

Word of the Day, January 9, 2019

“ To God be the glory, great things He hath done; So loved He the world that He gave us His Son, who yielded His life an atonement for sin, and opened the life gate that all may go in. Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, let the earth hear His voice! Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, let the people rejoice! O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son, and give Him the glory, great things He hath done.”

Ephesians 4:29

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

I had a conversation with my youngest daughter the other day and she asked me why swearing was wrong. I guess she was having a conversation with some people from school. She has been taught that it is wrong and also not to take the Lord’s name in vain is wrong. Her question was where in the Bible does it say that saying a swear word is wrong.

My 1st response was are you giving GOD the glory with a fowl mouth? My 2nd response was are we a stumblingblock for others if we profess the name of Christ Jesus yet walk around cussing using every 4 letter word we can come up with. My 3rd response was that swearing is always negative; nothing ever comes good out of swearing and is hurtful at times and my 4th response was that it is sin.

I must admit in my past that I swore with the best of them. But through Christ, I am a new creature and that has been taken away from me. While cursing may be everywhere in today’s culture, I think it reflects a lack of maturity in the Christian faith.

The Bible condemns cursing, filthy talk and a loose tongue many times throughout the Word of GOD.

Exodus 20:7: 7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Hosea 4:2: 2 By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood toucheth blood.

Ephesians 5:5-6: 5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. 6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

1 Peter 3:10: 10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

James 3:10: 10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

1 Timothy 6:20: 20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

Ephesians 5:4: 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Colossians 3:8: 8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Are we an example of Christ to others? Are we the light or the darkness? Are we a stumbling block for people that do not know the grace of Jesus Christ?

Christ said this in Luke 6:45: 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

As a member of the Body of Christ, do we show examples of Christ’s mercy, love and grace in all that we do in our life? Swearing does not show that! Do we control our swearing only on Sunday at church or do we show the light of Christ to everybody all week long?

“ O for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise. The glories of my God and King. The triumphs of His grace. My gracious Master and my God assist me to proclaim. To spread thru all the earth abroad the honors of Thy name.”

Timothy P. Furness