Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
 Met my deer goal! >

Met my deer goal!

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Met my deer goal!

Old 01-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Met my deer goal!

When I told y'all about the deer I got on New Year's eve morning, I mentioned that I've wanted to get at least one deer each month that the season was open. Since I found several takers at work who said they would take a deer if I killed it, I've been able to continue hunting (my freezer has been full since early November). And that made my goal a possibility.

I haven't been out since New Year's eve until 2 nights ago when I set a stand and then hunted it until dark. I planned on hunting the New Year's stand this morning (since it had been undisturbed) until I found out that my dog and my youngest son were all over the area yesterday after school. So I hunted the recently hung stand this morning.

A little before 8am, I heard a branch break and I stood and grabbed my bow. In a minute or two a deer appeared - followed by 9 MORE deer! Most of them were pretty large --all does, but we need to thin them out a bit. I couldn't shoot the first one because there were so many eyes behing her. I noticed one especially large one near the back, but she was standing with a large tree blocking her vitals as the others filed past at about 25 yards or so. I noticed one deer to my right that had noticed something in the tree (me) that wasn't quite right and she began the "head-bob" trick as the one I wanted finally stepped out!

I knew that I was about to get busted and decided to draw my bow WHILE THE OTHER DOE WAS WATCHING ME. Of course she bolted, but the one I wanted was still there. I quickly aimed and hit the release. The shot looked pretty good, but a bit farther back than I wanted. I was thinking liver shot.

When I got down, I found my arrow and immediately knew I was right. I know the advice on this board has always been to give liver shot deer 4 to 6 hours, but my experience has always been a very quick kill. So I took up the trail. I should've waited . . .

She led me all over the place through impenetrable briars and such until she entered a field--and I couldn't find anything. I went home to eat breakfast and regroup. I was finally able to convince my wife that 4 eyes were better than two and off we went.

I eventually found a couple of drops of blood in the field which indicated she has run across it and not along the edge like I had hoped. THEN MY DOG SHOWED UP!

Apollo was supposed to be at home since I felt he would be in the way and certainly wouldn't help. But my son had tied him outside after we left and he broke free of his tie out chain and trailed us! Since he was there and we had a "lead" for him, so to speak, we kept looking. He immediately noticed the blood trail were it ended at the woods and he started across the field.

To make a very long story short, Apollo trailed the deer right to it's bed probably over 1/2 mile away through some of the nastiest thickets I've ever been in. He was absolutely AMAZING! He was nose to the ground when I saw it 15 yards away and said, "there it is." At that, the deer jumped up and ran away and I saw the blood on it's side.

I told my wife we were heading home in the opposite direction to avoid spooking it further. Three hours later, I returned alone and looked everywhereI could think of and was really getting frustrated when I asked the Lord to help me here. I told Him I was no clue where to look now and I couldn't find anything to indicate where it had gone.

With-in 5 minutes, I found blood and with-in 10 minutes, I found the deer!

She's big. I'm estimating 130 to 140 lbs -- and I was off by 15lbs on the last deer. I GUESSED TOO LOW.

I'm icing her now for my co-worker to pick her up tomorrow morning before church.

And I got at least one deer every month that the season was open!
Old 01-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Met my deer goal!

Congrats Dave, I'm 3 does so far . . .one spike that I thought was a big doe[&:], and I'm hoping for one more . . .saving that freezer room for a buck. The other day after a morning hunt I came home and was fixing to work on the shed. I stepped out the door and barely visible thru the brush at my fence were two huge bucks going at it. I stood there dumbfounded and listened to them while they tore up the woods thru 50 yards of thicket. Later I realized that I knew about where they would leave the area and I could'nt resist checking it out. Sure enough there was sign where one of them left the way I had expected. The other I'm not sure about. I think I blew it on those deer , but am hopeful anyway for my prospects here at home.
Been getting a lot of rain lately and cool-cold temps off and on so I'll be hunting close to home during the week and the swamp on weekends.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Way to go Bro. Dave! Congrat's!
Old 01-21-2006, 07:26 PM

You lucky dog !
Old 01-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 01-22-2006, 12:57 AM