HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Politics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics-16/)
-   -   Sam Walton sold America. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/politics/79588-sam-walton-sold-america.html)

kevin1 11-18-2004 12:12 PM

RE: Sam Walton sold America.

The Chinese had a lot of help Glen ,
not the least of which came from our own business community who were smarting from having to pay more for what they could find cheaper . You can't fault them for sending the labor overseas because they didn't make the laws that made it possible in the first place .

Another facet that we all choose to overlook is that there are only 2 purposes for a corporation to exist: to survive and to profit . They can do neither here in a manner that will appease their stockholders . Also consider that most of the jobs that have been offshored were low to no skill manufacturing jobs , jobs that most of us wouldn't want in the first place . Some tech jobs are being exported too , but only because the lowest bidder barked the loudest , pretty standard for any business . Did the road crew who last redid the highway you drive on come from your own state ? In the world of competetive bidding the answer is probably no .

The ugly truth , and I don't like it either , is that we have all priced ourselves out of the labor market . Probably the only reason I still have my job right now is that my employer hasn't found someone who will do it cheaper or better than me . The problem for most of us , and Glen illustrated it beautifully , is that we grew up expecting to have a "career" . Career implies lifelong employment , and that just doesn't exist anymore .

Charlie P 11-18-2004 12:18 PM

If your a coprporation why would you have the work done here when you can basically take advantage of slaves labor in other countries. Especially when our goverment gives you incentives to move out.

muley69 11-18-2004 03:34 PM

Couldn't agree more with Kevin1, the sole purpose of any for profit business is to make money. Not to employ people, not to provide benefits, not to promote political correctness, and not to establish carreers. Thats not to say that some of the benefits are not realized and that's good, but it's not the purpose. As a nation the argument shouldn't be about imports per say; but about imports/exports and the trade deficet. As a business owner my employees are there to make me money, not for me to keep them working. If they stop making me money, they're gone, plain and simple.

gleninAZ 11-18-2004 05:38 PM

I am also a business owner. I employ 12 people who have been with the company for 15 to 20 years. Half escaped communist Romania under a dictator when they were only 17 or 18. They are the finest Americans I have ever met and they understand what loyalty and freedom are worth. I bought the business over two years ago and I have cashed in my retirement and taken a second mortgage to keep paying them for building furniture for me during bad times when I should have laid them off. I know I am a dumbass for giving away money I could keep but I just have been raised to do what I think is right knowing I will die soon enough and a couple of people might think I made a difference. I am wayy too much of a dinosaur to stick around much longer.

kevin1 11-18-2004 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: gleninAZ

I am also a business owner. I employ 12 people who have been with the company for 15 to 20 years. Half escaped communist Romania under a dictator when they were only 17 or 18. They are the finest Americans I have ever met and they understand what loyalty and freedom are worth. I bought the business over two years ago and I have cashed in my retirement and taken a second mortgage to keep paying them for building furniture for me during bad times when I should have laid them off. I know I am a dumbass for giving away money I could keep but I just have been raised to do what I think is right knowing I will die soon enough and a couple of people might think I made a difference. I am wayy too much of a dinosaur to stick around much longer.
That's damned thoughtful of you Glen ,
if more business owners were like you then more business owners would get the loyalty they crave . No , you're not a dumbass for doing it .

I'll bet your employees would almost kill for you , you lucky dog . ;)

AlaskaMagnum 11-18-2004 08:02 PM

In light of the recent election, and the controversy, and the new found "Moral Reasons". I would like to hear some opinions on the following:

Is it moral to shop at WalMart knowing most of their products come from China where

1. The human rights violations are so extreme, half of the world will not do business with them, and it was almost a shock that they get to hold the Olympics

2. Child labor is very common

3. Childbirth is restricted to one child in general. Female children are abandoned and sent to orphanages simply because -- they are female.

4. China is a known Communist regime

I would like to hear some views on this.

muley69 11-18-2004 10:54 PM

ORIGINAL: gleninAZ

If my employees are not making me money, there will be no business to employ them with. It's just business. I'm not prepared to say anybody is a dumbass for doing what they think is right. One of the things I learned very early in my business career was to separate business from emotion. Decesions are best made with the head, not with the heart. That doesn't mean you have to be unethical or devoid of a soul, just careful and astute. I would never tell anyone else how to run their business, but if your a for profit company, in the long run everybody is better off if your turning coin.

gleninAZ 11-18-2004 11:20 PM

Gotcha on that. I am turning coin and pay off what I borrow but could be turning a lot more. I was a corporate division president for 35 years and saw the really bad part of greed. I understand the bottom line and the P&L as well as anyone and just made a decision to take less while building a good business. I will sell it in five or six years and the next guy will have plenty of fat to cut to pay his way. For now I am backing the employees and figure it will give me good kharma for the business. It has worked well so far. They definitely have my back and that is a thing of the past anymore. Good luck in yours.

m.t.hands 11-18-2004 11:21 PM

most of the crap started after sam died

wal-mart is the devil

muley69 11-19-2004 01:39 AM

So, M.T. hands, what is your opinion on Walmart, don't hold back now.;)