Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 Teacher must pay for substitute while on military duty... >

Teacher must pay for substitute while on military duty...

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Teacher must pay for substitute while on military duty...

Old 03-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Teacher must pay for substitute while on military duty...

Booo hissssss. Thats horrible.[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][][][][:@][:@]
Old 03-05-2004, 08:02 AM

Hi etothepii,

I've also had "government jobs" that require you to forfeit jury duty pay. But jury duty is a responsibility of all citizens, and is spread around equally, (at least in theory). On the other hand....military duty is currently entirely voluntary....and considerably more is "put at risk" by the volunteer. The pay, though better than in the past, is not exactly outstanding considering what is at risk. And I don't see great or long lines of citizen volunteers anxiously trying "to serve". Particularly with the current war on terror.

It is a shame that a society that owes so much to those willing to sacrifice their lives for that same society. To insure the continued freedoms, liberties, and benefits, we all enjoy and partake of.......can do "so little in return"......for those sacrifices!

I understand that all members of the military volunteered. I also understand they are "paid" and have "benefits". But it really is a reflection upon us as a whole......when we would quibble with someone willing to shoulder those risks over the additional compensation when undertaking those added risks. If that same teacher had wanted the time "to pursue additional education"....they would have probably have maintained their pay in addition to having a portion....or all....of the related costs paid for! Are we saying that the additional "schooling" is a direct benefit to the school district and it's goals.....but the military service is not? If it wasn't for those willing to provide that military service......there very shortly would be "no school district" at all....certainly not in it's current form. (Maybe that isn't a bad idea after all!?!?)

Dave

P.S. Etothepii I know you said you didn't necessarily agree with it. I'm not directing the above argument towards you.....but rather against the actions of the board!
Old 03-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well now hold on just a minute. I have as much respect for those who are serving our country as anyone, but it isn't like he is losing money in this deal.

The school is not required by law to pay him while he is on leave. Remember that he is getting military pay while he is deployed. The school is only required to hold his job.

However, the school IS paying his salary. . . They're simply saying that he has to pay for his substitute (which is the policy in any school once a person has used their alloted personal days). The pay he will forfeit for his substitute is NOT as much as he makes per day from the school system.

The school system could have done it one of two ways: They could just not pay him at all and bring in a substitute for the two weeks, or they could continue to pay his salary and require him to pay his substitute. Under the first option, the teacher is making only what the military is paying him over that two week period. Under the second option, he is making military pay, plus regular salary minus whatever his sub costs. So he is getting a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

The school system is definately not in the wrong.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:19 PM

Hi Ben,

I'm not talking about the school district "doing anything wrong.....legally". I'm talking about the "bigger picture" involved. And it's not only this particular school district.....but many parts of our society in general. Personally, as far as I'm concerned, it's this societal lack of concern for our soldiers that causes me to wish we'd return to the draft! That way everyone (and their children, grandchildren, etc.) would "share the burden" of national defense. Maybe then there would be a little more caring about the general welfare of the soldiers and their families. I don't think it is so much to ask of society to support soldiers when deployed on behalf of their nation. (I know....they volunteered....and knew what they were getting into....right?!?! Exactly the reason I'd like to see the draft again! And this time.....NO EXCEPTIONS......NO WAIVERS!) I witnessed the waste in the public school system first hand! Nonsense such as hiring of retired principles....for $350. daily......as consultants (hid in basement offices doing nothing of substance). Materials wasted egresiously.....and then quibble with a deployed servicemember over the $50. or so daily paid towards a substitute! I really don't care if "they've done anything wrong.....or not". Considering the enormous waste in the public school system.....I find the behavior contemptuous and hypocritical! Especially when you consider the items a school district will provide total compensation for! It's simply a matter of politics.....and misplaced priorities.

If everyone was involved, and everyone shared in the risks (of military service).......there'd be a little more public support! Personally, I don't care if the view is popular or not! Once it became personal for all Americans (academia as well).....there would be a difference in the general attitude and approach! (Or at a minimum.....everyone would be unsupported equitably.)

Dave

P.S. He may not be losing money......but he may stand to lose alot more! Shameful!!!