Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
 JOBS...A BLEAK PICTURE ???!!! >

JOBS...A BLEAK PICTURE ???!!!

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

JOBS...A BLEAK PICTURE ???!!!

Old 03-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default JOBS...A BLEAK PICTURE ???!!!

Here are some statistics from the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Stastics:
1). The peak unemployment rate during the recession that began under President Clinton was 6.4%. The current unemployment rate is 5.6%.
2). In the last year more than 2,000,000 new jobs have been added in the U.S.
3). Between 1983 and 2003 outsourcing went from 6.5 million jobs to about 10 million jobs.
4). Between 1983 and 2002 jobs in-sourcing (jobs coming into the U.S.) went from 2.5 million to 6.5 million.
5). By subtracting jobs coming in from jobs going out you come up with a "net" figure. This net figure reached it's peak in the early 1980's at about 4 million jobs. In other words, things were worse at the end of the Carter administration than they are right now.
6). During the same period (from '83 to '03) a total of 38 million jobs have been created by private business in the U.S. No other industrialized country in the world has matched this number.

So, seems to me that the labor / jobs picture isn't nearly as bleak as the liberal media paints it !!!
Old 03-01-2004, 05:27 PM
fng
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: JOBS...A BLEAK PICTURE ???!!!

Unemployment statistics are very skewed. Don't believe everything you read.

- If you've been unemployed for 1 year, you fall off the numbers. You are now considered "employed" for statistics sake.

- If you are "under employed" ie: can only find part time work, you're employed.

Trust me, the employment picture is VERY bleak. At my age I have to try and contact buddies who do concrete work and see if they'll hire me to shovel the crap.

There ain't NOTHING out there.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its just a change in euphamisms and propaganda.

Under clinton: Big evil corportations were downsizing and moving operations across borders to make obscene profits.

Under Bush: its Bush's fault that jobs are disappearing.

The word "downsizing" has disappeared from the media's volcabulary and has been replaced by "jobs moving to China".

When I graduated from college, Clinton was in office and I had a difficult time finding a job in my field, jobs were tight. I don't see any difference between then and now except for how the 4th estate describes the problem.

Must be an election year.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
fng
Nontypical Buck

Agreed.

The jobs have been flowing out of the country for about 20 some odd years.

Look at Milwaukee.. Used to be one of the LARGEST manufacturing cities in the world!

Briggs,
Allis Chalmers
Ladish
Louie Allis
Harnishpheger
Geuder Paeschke and Frey

etc. etc. Or the largest tannery in the world which was Pfister and Vogel - now defunct.

the largest industry in Milwaukee now is daycare.
It's been happening for decades, it's just happening really really fast now.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Is it any coincidence that all the jobs "flying" out of the country are industries that are plagued by unions? Well, with the exception of government jobs that don't have to worry about costs.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

FNG, I don't believe everything I read. But in this instance I do. I realize that there are areas of our great country that are struggling with no / poor job opportunities. On the reverse side, there are areas with tremendous growth and opportunities. IMO, folks with long term unemployment difficulties should:
1). Relocate to an area offering better potential.
2). Refine / change / re-train (their job skills) to those actually being sought by employers.
3). Cut out whining and waiting for the government to offer a bail out. Take responsibility for your life, your past decisions and get out and rectify the situation. You gotta do what you gotta do!
Old 03-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

The jobs have been flowing out of the country for about 20 some odd years.
Thanks to unions, government regulations and taxes.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:59 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My future looks bleak.

I have been a teacher/substitute the last 8 years. The last two years substitute teaching jobs have declined for me. From 5 days a week to 2 days a week. Retired teachers are getting a big share of the jobs.

I am looking to switch careers and I really enjoy teaching.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I help run a personal service. I find people jobs. Business is on the ups.....bigtime.

Quick Reply: JOBS...A BLEAK PICTURE ???!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.