Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
A modest proposal >

A modest proposal

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

A modest proposal

Old 04-28-2022, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default A modest proposal

I begin by acknowledging that my proposal is unlikely to become reality. But things have been slow on the Politics forum for a while . . . so this may be better than the same ol same ol.

The preamble to the US Constitution says the constitution is intended to (1) form a more perfect union, (2) establish justice, (3) insure domestic tranquility, (4) provide for the common defense, (5) promote the general welfare, and (6) secure liberty to ourselves and to our posterity . . . or words much to this effect. I may have not quoted verbatim. I propose that (A) the annual US federal government budget be limited to the tax monies taken in during the previous year and (B) this money be spent on the Constitutionally recognized objects of US Government according to a fixed ratio. For example, maybe object #1 is allocated 10%, object #2 is allocated 20%, object #3 is allocated 10%, object #4 is allocated 30%, object #5 is allocated 20%, and object #6 is allocated 10%. These numbers are somewhat arbitrary and we can deliberate about what is the best allocation.

An intended consequence of this arrangement is to prevent people wanting to give away more money to needy people by stealing it from other legitimate concerns of government. All the do gooders could argue all day long about a whole bunch of do gooder projects and how to allocate their slice of the pie, but their slice of the pie would ALWAYS be no more than the 20% fixed and would not be expanded via deficit spending. A caveat could be added to the effect that under the circumstance of a constitutionally declared war, the funding of defense would not be so circumscribed -- but all the other objects of government would remain circumscribed. Thus, deficit spending would only be allowed for defense spending and then only in time of officially declared war.

I can appreciate the many impracticalities of this proposal, but it might be fun to discuss this idea. Of course, I could imagine politicians bending the definitions of the boundaries of these concerns, and we would be right back where we are now (except with a balanced budget). The history of evolution of the judicial construction of the interstate commerce clause is an object lesson in interpretive legerdemain.

What do you think? Couldn't we shoehorn all of our US government activities into one of these 6 objects explicitly enumerated in the preamble of the constitution? If we can't what business does government have in mucking around in it?

Last edited by Alsatian; 04-28-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 04:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually, there are 18 enumerated powers granted to the Federal Government listed in article 1, section 8. The preamble gives the purpose of the Constitution, but it is not the law. The law begins at article 1, section 1.
Much has been made about the "General Welfare" clause, and it has become the government Santa Clause, but even that is defined in the enumerated 18 powers. I think your proposal of keying in on 6 is a little futile considering the Federal Government will not be constrained to 18,

Meanwhile, we are about to be governed by a "Truth Minister" in the Dept. of Homeland Security.

C. Davis
Old 04-30-2022, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Actually Alsatian , there are 3 easier ways to accomplish your your proposal .

1) Vote every single one of the Demorats out so they cant get anywhere near a power button to end their spending sprees of stupidity.

2) When a Demorat proposes spending money on one of there screwball ideas , make them use their personal wealth 1st until they run out money on their stupid ideas

3) Lock all the Demorats up and throw away the key.

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 04-30-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:52 AM
Spike

I don't think we could shoehorn all of our activities into one of those objects. And I don't think we should necessarily try.I think, however, that we could shoehorn most of them, and that's a good thing.The Constitution is a document meant to restrict government, not to allow it to do anything it wants.We've seen what happens when government is allowed to do whatever it wants. It's a disaster.So, I think it's a good thing that we try to restrict government to the enumerated powers.Do you think civil rights and civil liberties are enumerated in the constitution?I think civil liberties are. I'm not sure about civil rights.I think that civil liberties are enumerated in the Constitution in the sense that the Constitution protects certain rights.However, I'm not sure that civil rights are enumerated in the Constitution.I think that civil rights are something that the government should protect, but I'm not sure that the Constitution explicitly enumerates them.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

make it law that all laws passed ,all medical benefits, assigned,
all special privileges, any and all exemptions, and insurance or pension benefits, congress approves
and related taxes, and all taxes collected, must apply to every citizen EQUALLY .
make it a capital crime to take a bribe or benefit financially from holding federal office,
or hold a job offered from any company who has benefited from legislation you passed in the last 10 years after leaving office.
and of course term limits of two terms max.

like the old joke
politician's all deserve two terms,
one in office one in prison
Old 06-16-2022, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ayana15 View Post
I don't think we could shoehorn all of our activities into one of those objects. And I don't think we should necessarily try.I think, however, that we could shoehorn most of them, and that's a good thing.The Constitution is a document meant to restrict government, not to allow it to do anything it wants.We've seen what happens when government is allowed to do whatever it wants. It's a disaster.So, I think it's a good thing that we try to restrict government to the enumerated powers.Do you think civil rights and civil liberties are enumerated in the constitution?I think civil liberties are. I'm not sure about civil rights.I think that civil liberties are enumerated in the Constitution in the sense that the Constitution protects certain rights.However, I'm not sure that civil rights are enumerated in the Constitution.I think that civil rights are something that the government should protect, but I'm not sure that the Constitution explicitly enumerates them.

"However, I'm not sure that civil rights are enumerated in the Constitution." Looks like you never heard of or read the Bill of rights!!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe enforce the part about "any powers. not given to the federal government is left to the states"