Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Elon Musk's hostile bid to takeover Twitter >

Elon Musk's hostile bid to takeover Twitter

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Elon Musk's hostile bid to takeover Twitter

Old 04-26-2022, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
This makes me think of a passage in Xenophon's "Cyropaedia" (aka "The Life of Cyrus"). This is a book which is considered the first in a long list of books providing advice on statecraft to Princes or Kings which includes Machiavelli's superb "The Prince." Here is the passage:

"For those who were subjects -- indeed slaves -- Cyrus did not incite them to noble deeds. He would not let them even carry arms. He was careful that they should never lack food or drink. The end of it was these subjects called him their father even as the nobles did, because he attended to their needs, but the object of his care was to keep them slaves forever." Cyropaedia by Xenophon Book 8, chapter 1, paragraph 43.

Damn straight. Make the people slaves. Make them absolutely incapable of resisting the path the elite leaders are leading them down. People may think me pedantic or silly for solemnly quoting from old books as I sometimes do. My point is two fold in making such quotes. First, brilliant, profound thinkers have thought on these subjects before and what they have to say is highly illuminating. Learn from them. Second, if the truth was known 2400 years ago (in case of Xenophon) and published or if the truth was known 600 years ago (in case of Machiavelli) . . . how is it that we much more sophisticated, well-informed, fortunate people of 2022 can't see these things for ourselves? These are "no-brainers" people. You don't want to willingly surrender your second amendment rights that our founding fathers wisely amended into the constitution at the same time they added freedom of speech and association. You don't want the government to provide for all your needs and make yourself abjectly dependent upon what government provides you to live on.
I could see liberals getting behind this and voting for these horrible policies, but what confuses me is how the rich liberals support this. I live among many Trump-hating liberals who are quite well off and work hard to get richer. How could they throw all that away for such policies? I don't see it.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chazspot View Post
I could see liberals getting behind this and voting for these horrible policies, but what confuses me is how the rich liberals support this. I live among many Trump-hating liberals who are quite well off and work hard to get richer. How could they throw all that away for such policies? I don't see it.
Chazspot: First, I don't know the reason well-off liberals support this stuff. Liberal guilt? It seems sort of trendy, sort of fashionable? These are plausible explanations and probably explains some of the well-off liberals. Second, take a look at my quote from Xenophon again. It wasn't ALL the population that Cyrus treated in this way -- the subjects were treated this way, but not the "nobles." Without parsing what the nobles would constitute under ancient Persian government . . . it is quite possible that the nobles of Cyrus's time equate to the rich of today. The rich of today are connected, have a stake in things, have considerable influence in government and power in the business world. They AREN'T the slaves, they are among the ruling noble class. That is a hypothetical explanation and answer to your question. Does my answer hold up to scrutiny? I don't know. Maybe all three of these might combine together to provide 65% of an answer?
Old 04-27-2022, 06:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

They AREN'T the slaves, they are among the ruling noble class.
Spot on. They aren't the slaves, but they require a slave-like underclass in order to retain their "nobility." Hence, the endless effort to increase membership in the underclass who will remain tethered to the government teat, thereby creating a larger and larger bloc of voters who will remain loyal subjects, keeping the nobility and the politicians they own, in power.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chazspot: First, I don't know the reason well-off liberals support this stuff. Liberal guilt? It seems sort of trendy, sort of fashionable? These are plausible explanations and probably explains some of the well-off liberals. Second, take a look at my quote from Xenophon again. It wasn't ALL the population that Cyrus treated in this way -- the subjects were treated this way, but not the "nobles." Without parsing what the nobles would constitute under ancient Persian government . . . it is quite possible that the nobles of Cyrus's time equate to the rich of today. The rich of today are connected, have a stake in things, have considerable influence in government and power in the business world. They AREN'T the slaves, they are among the ruling noble class. That is a hypothetical explanation and answer to your question. Does my answer hold up to scrutiny? I don't know. Maybe all three of these might combine together to provide 65% of an answer?
I was also thinking it might be a modern case of a bourgeoisie/proletariat situation where the affluent cry for social justice, but aren't held to those standards. That may sound a little redundant to what you are saying above. Those who complain about the Twitter takeover by Musk are saying that a political party might be shunned even albeit slightly to sway elections. Funny, none of that was a concern during the 2020 presidential campaign where Biden benefitted from conservatives being banned from social media. Now it's a problem...
Old 04-27-2022, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by chazspot View Post
Those who complain about the Twitter takeover by Musk are saying that a political party might be shunned even albeit slightly to sway elections.
They are pathologically blinded by their ideology. What they suspect of Musk is precisely what Twitter DID do and which Facebook continues to do now -- suppress dissenting voices. The suppression of the Hunter Biden laptop story -- now agreed to be true by concensus -- is a great example of this. It is very likely that if the Hunter Biden laptop story had been given full and appropriate media coverage, right now Joe Biden would not be president.

Last edited by Alsatian; 04-27-2022 at 06:38 PM.