Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Social Media might be anti-gun?  Help me understand this... >

Social Media might be anti-gun? Help me understand this...

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Social Media might be anti-gun? Help me understand this...

Old 09-21-2020, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Social Media might be anti-gun? Help me understand this...

I was chatting with a buddy of mine on Facebook (i.e. that pop-up chat window...) and was mentioning my beautiful 1911 .45 ACP with the custom checkered grips, etc... and how it originally came with two sets of factory grips. One was plain bare wood and slick as sh** -- I hated them. So, I swapped them for the black rubber grips, and used them for a while. Then I found that guy up in NH who (back in 2016) had that CNC router machine and made custom handgun grips. I emailed him, he called me back, and we chatted about this and that with 1911's and the fact that I'm a lefty and have the ambi thumb safety on my 1911. On top of that, I am retired Coast Guard, so he had the CNC template with the USCG logo on it, and one thing led to another, and he said Teak would be fantastic as it is waterproof and sweatproof. Long story short, for $60 bucks, he mailed the grips to me back in 2016 and they have been on my 1911 ever since and are very special to me - sort of like "one of a kind" 1911 handgun grips.

Anyway, getting to the point, I told my buddy that I took some old photos of my 1911 and merged them all together in Photoshop, showing the 1911 with the different grips. I told him that I wanted to upload the photo to Facebook, and he told me "Don't do it, man... you'll freak people out, and Facebook will remove it". Seriously?!? Does anyone see a problem with the photo below? What is wrong with posting a photo of a famous, legendary, 100 yr old design, beautiful 1911 handgun?

Old 09-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

To some extent you are asking the wrong question -- or maybe you are asking the wrong audience is more to the point. This is a question of community standards. In this community, of course it is non-controversial. But some people -- I think the official term is 'snowflakes' -- get 'triggered' by seeing pictures of guns. To understand this, remember the articles you have probably read about elementary school children who have been expelled for biting into their lunch sandwich to "carve out" the silhouette of a handgun. I've heard those stories. Are the adults who react in that way lunatics? Yes. But that is the group that your friend is anticipating.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.... I was just wondering, if anyone ever put a photo of themselves in camo next to a harvested deer or something on Social Media and had people lose their minds (aka "Snowflakes"), and report them or whatever.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

When I was on social media I made it a point not to have those types of people on my page. And my settings were all set to private. This meant not having some close co-workers, family and even some friends on my page.

Two thoughts: if somebody is offended by something silly... It's still their "right" to be offended. The problem is that in our culture today they have decided to remove your "rights" if they are offensive to someone. Which is wrong. People are welcome to be offended, I don't particularly care. They are not welcome to insist that I change my lifestyle because they are offended.

Secondly: its annoying when people whine about Facebook being against something, or blocking something, etc. It's their company. Nobody is making anybody join it, or be on it. If you disagree with them.... Leave. If you are agreeing to be a member, then you're agreeing to abide by their rules. You don't have "freedom" on something like Facebook. And censoring you on Facebook is not a violation of your freedoms.

-Jake
Old 09-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

And yes.... When I was on Facebook I had lots of hunting and shooting photos, and never had any issues.

-Jake
Old 09-21-2020, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks, Jake!
Old 09-22-2020, 08:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
Thanks.... I was just wondering, if anyone ever put a photo of themselves in camo next to a harvested deer or something on Social Media and had people lose their minds (aka "Snowflakes"), and report them or whatever.
Actually this forum is social media and I have posted many photos of me and the animals I harvested. I have never been on face book or any of the other nonsensical social media websites.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you ever looked at a picture of Facebook's founder? He looks like he lived in his parents' basement until Facebook started making him money. And you expect him to be free speech, conservative or pro gun?
Old 09-23-2020, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

He's worth almost a hundred billion and he's still in his thirties. I'm not sure accusing him of being a basement dweller is the right approach here, especially when there are plenty of valid things to criticize. He's obviously done some things extremely well though.

-Jake