Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

no more nfl

Old 07-05-2020, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default no more nfl

N F L To play black lives matter anthem before first games !!!! I will not be listening to it, Or the games, Nor any N F L Games while this is in effect ! keep the politics out of football,
Old 07-05-2020, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

My wife and I, also, will be boycotting the NFL this year. We quit watching for two years, returned to watching last year.

As I see it, by doing what they are doing, the NFL is saying "If you watch, you are subscribing to and expressing solidarity with our politics." No. I'm not subscribing to your politics, so I'm not watching.

I want to mention a term of interest: 'semantic overloading.' Black Lives Matter is a GREAT example of this term. Sounds like a simple term. Yes, black lives matter. Of course, it is hard to avoid saying the next words . . . all lives matter. But that draws anger, for the reason that Black Lives Matter is SEMANTICALLY OVERLOADED!!!! It doesn't mean what it says it means . . . it means a lot of other things loaded in on top of it! Among these are that (1) the US is systemically racist, (2) the capitalist system is bad, (3) social justice supersedes all other public goods. Sorry . . . I do not subscribe to any one of 1, 2, and/or 3, hence I do not subscribe to the semantically overloaded expression 'black lives matter.'

By the way, as I understand it -- please, someone, correct me if I have this wrong -- the Black Lives Matter group actively promotes the dismantlement of the traditional patriarchal family structure in favour of some vague community of elders. I am DEFINITELY against that! The traditional family is THE most basic and successful human institution that I can think of. How appropriate that social justice warriors would see fit to try to tear it down and replace it with something ill defined and totally unproven. Perhaps "unproven" is the wrong characterization. So far the single parent, fatherless upbringing of children experiment has been tested, but the test results would seem to prove how dismally poor a substitute it is for traditional families. Ya, just keep trying that experiment, y'all, and blame the abysmal underperformance of your children on systemic racism rather than on your own maladapted family structure.

Last edited by Alsatian; 07-05-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, if you go their homepage it states outright that they are against the "western-prescribed nuclear family structure."

-Jake
Old 07-05-2020, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Done with that garbage. I won't be PC ever.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
My wife and I, also, will be boycotting the NFL this year. We quit watching for two years, returned to watching last year.

As I see it, by doing what they are doing, the NFL is saying "If you watch, you are subscribing to and expressing solidarity with our politics." No. I'm not subscribing to your politics, so I'm not watching.

.... partial quote...
The wife and I did the same thing. We quit for 2 years and returned to watching last year. Like alsatian, we're not going to watch this year although it's doubtful if they'll even have a season this year. We like football and enjoy watching it but don't want to see it turned into some political statement. Goodell and the players union are free to turn the game into a political statement but those of us who watched the game to forget about politics and just enjoy the sport are also free to stop watching. We can go to church if we want to listen to preaching. We can turn to a news channel if we want to hear about politics. I guess we'll have to wait for baseball season if we want to watch sports. I hope they don't screw up baseball as well.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
The wife and I did the same thing. We quit for 2 years and returned to watching last year. Like alsatian, we're not going to watch this year although it's doubtful if they'll even have a season this year. We like football and enjoy watching it but don't want to see it turned into some political statement. Goodell and the players union are free to turn the game into a political statement but those of us who watched the game to forget about politics and just enjoy the sport are also free to stop watching. We can go to church if we want to listen to preaching. We can turn to a news channel if we want to hear about politics. I guess we'll have to wait for baseball season if we want to watch sports. I hope they don't screw up baseball as well.
To me it is worse than you describe it. I don't want to have politics pitched to me when watching sports, that is one matter. But a separate matter, and a deeper concern from my perspective, is that the NFL has, in effect, made watching NFL football a plebiscite on Black Lives Matter! If you watch, you are counted as a vote in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter organization. I don't see any other way to interpret what the NFL has done with their catering to the Black Lives Matter organization. My plebiscite vote is thumbs-down on Black Lives Matter, so I will not be watching.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:17 AM
Banned

I have not watched pro football since the taking a knee crap started. Do not miss it. If I want to see politics I will watch a political commentary show, not a bunch of over paid and coddled not wits.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

There is that additional aspect to Goodell's decision. I agree with your analysis of semantics about saying Black Lives Matter. In the minimalist texture, of course, Black lives matter just as all lives matter. But as you've said, just saying Black lives matter has been co-opted to have a larger meaning involving protesting, rioting, property destruction, anti-police, etc. In short, it does not have anything to do with saying racism is bad or shouldn't exist.

My point in my previous post, however, was one about not having politics shoved into something enjoyable. It was about not having politics of any kind mixed with sports. There are plenty of other venues to discuss/argue/display politics but not so many venues for sports. If Goodell wants to initiate such a mixture, maybe it's time for him to leave the NFL and go start his own league. I know that won't happen just as I know he'll insist on following through with his politicizing of the NFL. And that's why the wife and I won't be watching.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

The NBA is scheduled to be back later this month. They are approving social justice slogans up be on jersys. Here is the list

The Undefeated reported Friday the list of names include: Black Lives Matter; Say Their Names; Vote; I Can't Breathe; Justice; Peace; Equality; Freedom; Enough; Power to the People; Justice Now; Say Her Name; Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can); Liberation; See Us; Hear Us; Respect Us; Love Us; Listen; Listen to Us; Stand Up; Ally; Anti-Racist; I Am A Man; Speak Up; How Many More; Group Economics; Education Reform; and Mentor.

It sounds like players can submit their own requests as well to be approved. Will we see any God Bless America, United We Stand, or other traditional patriotic slogans?

-Jake
Old 07-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Now I've heard everything . I will keep my post simple :

SCREW The ANARCHIST BLACK LIVES MATTER ! SCREW YOU GOODELL ! SCREW YOU N F L !
I WILL NEVER TURN MY CHANNEL TO AN NFL GAME AGAIN !

And I will add the NBA to the same list . They will probably be playing the Chinese Nation Anthem before each game !

Screw all these overpaid morons !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.