Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
Question Regarding Zero Percent Interest? >

Question Regarding Zero Percent Interest?

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

Question Regarding Zero Percent Interest?

Old 05-24-2020, 05:21 PM
  #31  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog View Post
Valorius then replied back, and changed the #'s... For a lack of a better way to put it, He changed canoes midstream...
Most people call that correcting themselves, and view it to be a good thing that honest people do when they realize they over-stated their original case from memory.

And in any case, the exact number of states does not change the FACT that several US states never locked down at all. Be that number 5 (which you claim) or 7 (which my link indicates), or 8 which is what Sconny arrived at after his own research, or 9, the number i was going by from memory.

If your stats are different than ours, instead of demanding that people post links for you, just post your own link that shows a different result. Seems simple enough to me.
Valorius is offline  
Old 05-24-2020, 09:15 PM
  #32  
Nontypical Buck
 
Lunkerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 2,182
Default

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter View Post
I do my best to post factual information. I do sometimes get it wrong, but not this time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/u...stay-home.html This article NAMED ALL the same states that I did. Unless, we are not to believe the NYT?

And this is the exact search that I did.
"states that did not shut down"

You demanded a list of states that did not lock down.. That is what you were given. You did NOT ask for their demographics. Why move the goal posts like that?

NONE of the other 49 states are New York. We don't live like they do, in any other state. FL did NOT lock down like they did, and FL has teh nations highest population of retired and elderly people. Yet they have an incredibly LOW death rate. WHY? Becasue DeSantis didn't send covid positive patients to nursing homes to recover, that's why.

Cuomo of New York, KILLED HIS OWN CITIZENS.
Sconny, I don't feel that I "demanded" anything... I did request that Valoruios prove his claim...

Didn't move any goal posts in regard to demographics... If you look at one of my posts above, you'll see that I wished that Walz had been as wise as a few Governors that did partial shutdowns... In my region/area, I don't believe a lock down was necessary... My wife and I have made it point to order take out at least once a week from our local restaurant... It's our closest restaurant, and is 8 miles from our home... The next closest restaurant is 10 miles further... Can't for the life of me understand why MN. needed a blanket shutdown... My point in citing the demographics was that it was not necessary to lock down in those states because of the demographics...

And again, Florida did shut down... Here's a link from a Florida source...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coro...nlq-story.html

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 05-24-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Lunkerdog is offline  
Old 05-24-2020, 09:56 PM
  #33  
Nontypical Buck
 
Lunkerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 2,182
Default

Originally Posted by CalHunter View Post
Back in the day, posting a link with a quote was often enforced but for a different reason. One member (he doesn't post anymore) repeatedly quoted people in articles as if it was his own words and sentences. When it was pointed out that he was potentially opening HNI up to a plagiarism problem if the original author and publication wished to sue, he said he was in grad school and everybody does it so it's no big deal. He was advised that this is a business, not grad school and he still needed to list both quotes and links to avoid the issue. He refused and had his posts edited with a warning. He continued and got his posts edited with a timeout. He continued to argue and break HNI rules so he got progressively longer timeouts. Eventually he stopped posting (his choice) after a few more back and forth PMs about these issues and a hijacking topics issue. That's actually why the link "requirement" started.

Over the years, a few people (very few) have played a little loose with their facts and/or quotes from articles and have been called on it. After a while, those people learned to provide links and, more importantly, double check their facts. Nobody posting in this topic is in that very small group. Also, part of the give and take in these discussions is a sharpening of one's arguments and a closer analysis of facts. Occasionally a person will speed read through an article and only glean info instead of getting things precisely correct. And sometimes, another member will link a different article with slightly different data or facts. Eventually, the issue gets sorted out and good conclusions are reached. Having sdaid that, links are good unless it's from Forbes because they always want you to pay or join to read their linked article.

Last but not least, most of us have been on some kind of shelter in place unless you live in one of either 5 or 7 states. None of us anticipated this stay-cation and after a while, people naturally get a bit of cabin fever and even a little on edge. That's simply human nature and especially for Americans as we seem to be born with an innate desire for freedom and get disgruntled quickly when anybody tries to restrict it. So if you feel yourself getting a little on the prod with another member, consider taking one of those vitamin D breaks outside before responding so you can maybe get a bigger picture perspective and maybe avoid another feud, etc. Lord knows, HNI already has enough feuds already between members and even between mods.
Cal I don,t know about those earlier days... I do remember when I signed in... Then, if you posted something as fact, you better be able to back that fact... Seems like today, that may not be the case... Oh well. guess I can post any truth I want, and so be it... Some don' need to prove anything...
Lunkerdog is offline  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:06 PM
  #34  
Nontypical Buck
 
Lunkerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 2,182
Default

Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
Most people call that correcting themselves, and view it to be a good thing that honest people do when they realize they over-stated their original case from memory. Most people in my region admit an honest mistake... Have yet to see you do that...

And in any case, the exact number of states does not change the FACT that several US states never locked down at all. Be that number 5 (which you claim) or 7 (which my link indicates), or 8 which is what Sconny arrived at after his own research, or 9, the number i was going by from memory.

If your stats are different than ours, instead of demanding that people post links for you, just post your own link that shows a different result. Seems simple enough to me.
Not sure how 5. 7. or 9 equates to several... 10, 14, or even 18% of states = several???


Who is "ours"???

Last edited by Lunkerdog; 05-24-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Lunkerdog is offline  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:13 PM
  #35  
Super Moderator
 
CalHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 17,557
Default

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog View Post
Cal I don,t know about those earlier days... I do remember when I signed in... Then, if you posted something as fact, you better be able to back that fact... Seems like today, that may not be the case... Oh well. guess I can post any truth I want, and so be it... Some don' need to prove anything...
Lunker, I just provided the history of links, etc. since I've been her for 20+ years. Dang that sounds like a long time.

As we both know, anybody can post an opinion without links, quotes, etc. and it's just that--an opinion. It may persuade somebody and it may not. They may be trying to persuade somebody (usually the case) or they may not care about persuading anybody and just wanted to post their opinion. So they accomplished that. No harm either way. It doesn't necessarily mean they're making something up. Maybe they need to fact check a little better or maybe the facts have changed (i.e. # of states shutting down or not) since they read their article or were listening to a radio or TV show about it, etc. Who knows.

Now if a person wants to persuade somebody of something (especially if they disagree on that something), then quotes and links are likely going to be more helpful. You still have to make a logical argument or post but with quotes from somebody else, links, charts, graphs, research, etc., it's a bit more persuasive. Not everybody has the time to add those extras to every post or even every topic. It's their call. And then, it's their results as to whether they are more persuasive or not.

Last edited by CalHunter; 05-24-2020 at 10:16 PM.
CalHunter is offline  
Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 AM
  #36  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog View Post
Name them...
I would say this is pretty much the epitome of a demand.

Wutevs, let's let bygones be bygones, shall we?
Valorius is offline  
Old 05-25-2020, 10:39 AM
  #37  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

Originally Posted by Lunkerdog View Post
Not sure how 5. 7. or 9 equates to several... 10, 14, or even 18% of states = several???

Definition of several

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a : separate or distinct from one another; federal union of the several states

: more than one;several pleas


b : more than two but fewer than many; moved several inches

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/several

Like i said: Several.

This is getting pretty ridiculous Lunker.

As far as the topic of posting links- Please take note 3 of us posted links to presumably respectable sources which listed three different answers. And quite honestly if i felt like it I know i could find the source that said 9 cause I saw it somewhere originally. So it really does seem that the most reasonable and honest answer we're going to get is, in fact, "Several."

Last edited by Valorius; 05-25-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Valorius is offline  
Old 05-25-2020, 09:19 PM
  #38  
Nontypical Buck
 
Lunkerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 2,182
Default

Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
I would say this is pretty much the epitome of a demand.

Wutevs, let's let bygones be bygones, shall we?
So if I had said "can you" name them.. I guess this thread would have gone in a different direction.. Fair enough, I can be an azz...

As for the bygones... I can only hope that you understand the spirit of my posts... I am weary of mis/dis/false, information... At this point in time, I feel that truths are very important, and am trying to find them... When I post something that I believe is a truth, I do try to back that truth... I can only ask you to do the same...
Lunkerdog is offline  
Old 05-25-2020, 09:27 PM
  #39  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

It's all good, these are chaotic times. Certainly unprecedented in any of our life times, I would imagine.

I post a lot from memory, so I would not take my posts as something I am presenting as indisputable cold hard fact. However I do not just make things up either- so if I'm saying it I saw it from what I considered a reputable source, and what I repeat is going to typically be presented in that light to the best of my (sadly) aging memory. And honestly there are so many conflicting reports when it comes to darn near every topic in today's day and age that a lot of times a person can drive themselves nuts looking for the unvarnished truth. This leads me to settle on "good enough for government work" most times.

Other times i'll just post an opinion based on experience, so those are definitely not meant to be interpreted as fact. (Like in the Gun Werks thread).

In this particular case, be it 5, 7, 8, 9, whatever, several states were never locked down. Sometimes "Several" is the best answer a fellow is going to get without pulling his hair out.

No hard feelings on my end at all.

Last edited by Valorius; 05-25-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Valorius is offline  
Old 05-25-2020, 09:54 PM
  #40  
Nontypical Buck
 
Lunkerdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern Minnesota
Posts: 2,182
Default

Originally Posted by Valorius View Post

Definition of several

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a : separate or distinct from one another; federal union of the several states

: more than one;several pleas


b : more than two but fewer than many; moved several inches

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/several

Like i said: Several.

This is getting pretty ridiculous Lunker.

As far as the topic of posting links- Please take note 3 of us posted links to presumably respectable sources which listed three different answers. And quite honestly if i felt like it I know i could find the source that said 9 cause I saw it somewhere originally. So it really does seem that the most reasonable and honest answer we're going to get is, in fact, "Several."
Can only conclude that "several" is a misleading definition/term
Lunkerdog is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.