Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Politics
New invaders to Washington state >

New invaders to Washington state

Politics Nothing goes with politics quite like crying and complaining, and we're a perfect example of that.

New invaders to Washington state

Old 05-08-2020, 09:58 AM
  #1  
Boone & Crockett
Thread Starter
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 13,263
Default New invaders to Washington state

I just read that not only is Washington going to have to deal with the "Murder Hornets", thy now have found some giant hybrid, European/Asian Gypsy moths.
Oldtimr is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 10:34 AM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

I don't really get the whole invasive species line of thinking. If it's from the planet earth, it's a native species. The strong survive. If a Asian, African or European whatever comes here and takes over a space in the food chain from some other animal that was here first, oh well.

That's nature. And natural.

Trying to prevent that from happening is, to me, un natural. And anti nature.
Valorius is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 01:33 PM
  #3  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,365
Default

Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
I don't really get the whole invasive species line of thinking. If it's from the planet earth, it's a native species. The strong survive. If a Asian, African or European whatever comes here and takes over a space in the food chain from some other animal that was here first, oh well.

That's nature. And natural.

Trying to prevent that from happening is, to me, un natural. And anti nature.
Most of the time when they arrive it is at the hands of mankind. There is a balance of nature and when a species that isn't native rides here there can be a resulting upset to that balance. Here in Lake Champlain we used to have a large population of native rainbow smelt. They provided good table fare for people who liked to catch them and a valuable forage for our predator species like trout and salmon. The alewives were in the great lakes and arrived most likely from canals connected to the St Lawrence Seaway. Now the alewives are here and they have pushed out most of our native smelt populations. They have seasonal die offs and in certain parts of the lake end up in large numbers on shore. In addition they have some sort of enzyme that can inhibit reproduction on some trout species. Most of the time a new invasive does damage to what was here before.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 02:35 PM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

Man is part of nature.

I don't know why so many of us forget or deny that truth. If a man brings an Asian butterfly to Argentina, it's a natural act.

If it was up to me we'd collect up a breeding viable population of every endangered animal in Africa and Asia and drop em off in the most appropriate almost empty parts of the interior of the United States. Think of the tourism and hunting dollars that would generate.

Valorius is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 02:45 PM
  #5  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,365
Default

Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
Man is part of nature.

I don't know why so many of us forget or deny that truth. If a man brings an Asian butterfly to Argentina, it's a natural act.

If it was up to me we'd collect up a breeding viable population of every endangered animal in Africa and Asia and drop em off in the most appropriate almost empty parts of the interior of the United States. Think of the tourism and hunting dollars that would generate.
Illegal to transport non native species and release them. In addition disease not native to one place can be transmitted that way.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 02:51 PM
  #6  
Super Moderator
 
Bocajnala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Trumbull County, Ohio
Posts: 8,121
Default

Originally Posted by Valorius View Post

If it was up to me

Thankfully it isn't.

-Jake
Bocajnala is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 03:46 PM
  #7  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,365
Default

One of the worst are wild pigs. They are truly an invasive and do some serious harm to local habitat. Once introduced mostly by escaping canned hunting facilities they are impossible to eradicate. Thankfully we don't have them here.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 03:58 PM
  #8  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
Thankfully it isn't.

-Jake
Why? We have all those species here now, they just live in cages. Because that's really preferable?

Horses are an 'invasive species.' Could you imagine America without horses?

I would love to be able go on a lion hunt in Oklahoma. I lived there. It's empty.
Or see herds of elephants wandering through North Texas.

That would be absolutely awesome.

WE are invasive species. There were no people in North America before we walked here over the ice. And there sure weren't any white men either. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.
Valorius is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 04:00 PM
  #9  
Nontypical Buck
 
Valorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,746
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
One of the worst are wild pigs. They are truly an invasive and do some serious harm to local habitat. Once introduced mostly by escaping canned hunting facilities they are impossible to eradicate. Thankfully we don't have them here.
Pigs made life in America much much easier for the settlers that came here from Europe. And sure they do damage...but pig hunting is awesome. And so is BACON!
Valorius is offline  
Old 05-08-2020, 04:01 PM
  #10  
Boone & Crockett
Thread Starter
 
Oldtimr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: south eastern PA
Posts: 13,263
Default

I think you fell on your head and damaged it beyond the ability to have any common sense. Look up the definition of invasive, there has never been an invasive that caused anything but problems for native species. You must be in the spirits to post such drivel!
Oldtimr is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.